Transfer Anchorage to Seward

The Bishops

Hi

I've asked this question on the West Coast Departures board but was advised to ask it here. I'm sure this has been asked before but we are sailing on the Celebrity Millennium on 15 June and are looking into transfers from Anchorage to Seward on that day. We understand that there is a train which gets into Seward at about 11.00am and also buses, which method of transport would anyone recommend or is there another way.

Thanks for your help.

Angela

My first choice would be a one-way rental car with Hertz. You could take all day for the drive.

My second choice is the Alaska Railroad train that gets you into Seward in time for a Kenai Fjords boat ride. https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/route-map/coastal-classic & https://www.alaskacollection.com/day-tours/kenai-fjords-tours/

What time is your flight arriving into ANC that will make a difference ?

You can opt to rent a car if that's something you're comfortable with doing and the pricing.

You can use the cruiseline offered train (can only be booked with the cruiseline) and will probably have an arrival around 4:00- 5:00pm.

Private transfer bus option:

http://www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

Or the train (not to be confused with the cruiseline train) as suggested by the above poster.

Angela: Many folks find that the scenery from the train to be superior to that from the highway. The rail line parallels the road south of Anchorage until they basically reach the junction of the road into Whittier. At that point the rail line is then in a different valley until the rail line reaches the small community of Moose Pass. From Moose Pass into Seward the rail and road basically are parallel again. Seward is a community where Alaskans go to recreate, so we generally drive down once a summer. If you select one of the motor coach transfers you won't be unhappy as you will find the scenery interesting.

But other factors are the timing of the rail departure, and whether a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center would be interesting. Some of the motor coach transfers include a WCC stop.

Some posters agonize over this decision, but you will be happy with either option.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their replies which we have found enlightening, we're from the UK so everything will be new and exciting. In answer to Ashland we are flying up from San Francisco on Thursday 14th and staying overnight in Anchorage.

After reading everyone's opinions and looking into all of the options Mike has decided that he'd really like to take the Alaska Railroad up, yes it's an early start but hopefully we'll get an early start on our Alaskan wildlife viewing, it will also mean that we are into Seward at just after 11.00 am which calms my need to be there early.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Angela

I'd just like to thank everyone for their replies which we have found enlightening, we're from the UK so everything will be new and exciting. In answer to Ashland we are flying up from San Francisco on Thursday 14th and staying overnight in Anchorage.

After reading everyone's opinions and looking into all of the options Mike has decided that he'd really like to take the Alaska Railroad up, yes it's an early start but hopefully we'll get an early start on our Alaskan wildlife viewing, it will also mean that we are into Seward at just after 11.00 am which calms my need to be there early.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Angela

You're very welcome....Here's hoping you have safe travel's and enjoy your cruise.