Packing differences for month long cruise

mwj

The only thing I do different when packing for a longer cruise is bring a few extra tops/bottoms for both daytime and evening, as I like to have choices. I usually bring the same amount of shoes - 4 pair : sandals, walking/running shoes, dress heels, slippers. We take advantage of the ship's laundry service by purchasing a package before we leave home - it's much less expensive than doing it piece by piece. On some lines you can do "by the bag" where you fill a bag to capacity for a set price - a bargain if you can roll tightly and scrunch your clothes into the cloth bag. Paper bags are out of the question.

I also bring extra shampoo and conditioner (I don't care for the ship's offerings) in disposable containers so I can toss them when they're empty. Packing for a longer cruise isn't any more difficult than for a short one.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We usually do 10-24 day cruises, so we pack for 7-10 days, and do laundry.

So the other, really more significant changes for a 30 day over a 7 or 10 day is medications and toiletries.

Plus 1.

Also, we set up bank payment of recurring bills that will come due while we are gone (usually 3-6 weeks).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the other, really more significant changes for a 30 day over a 7 or 10 day is medications and toiletries.

I agree. Even when we did our 28 and 33 day cruises we only packed for 10 days and used the ship's laundry each week.

We made sure we had enough RX and OTC meds plus extra for unexpected delays.

Many years ago I set up a utility checking account and those bills are paid automatically. No worrying about getting on the internet and paying that way.

Pack for about 2 weeks because need a couple of extra fancy outfits.

Make certain you have medications for all cruise days, any hotel days both pre and post plus about 5 extra days of pills -- to be on the safe side.

Packing has been pretty much covered. Unless I missed, you didn't mention itinerary. We have had cruises with significant changes in climate - from the heat and humidity of the Amazon River to Antarctica - all in one cruise. Just factor in whether or not you need a range of outdoor clothing or merely the usual.

We pack for 10 days, and take plenty of washing tablets/sheets. We go in winter, so the first and final 4 days are very cold- we wash those clothes and put them away for the final days. Husband takes a dinner suit but only 2 evening shirts, and we send those to the laundry. I buy cheap, bright tops for evenings, some of which I send to charity shops on return, which can be rinsed out in the cabin and dry quickly. I find on longer cruises that you make more friends, and this often means arranging meals together in speciality restaurants, birthday parties etc, so extra tops are handy with evening trousers.

Check your house insurance- ours stipulates the house not being empty for a month, so we have a neighbour who checks most days...last time there was a power cut and she was able to throw the switch back on, although we lost freezer food.

We would like comments from people as to what additional items to pack for a month long cruise versus the typical seven day cruise.

Thank you!

No difference in clothing. The only thing you might need more of would be prescription medications.

The reality is we do pack more for a 30 day cruise then a short one.

We prefer not to wear the same items over and over so we do take more clothes on a longer cruise.

We also will take a great supply of toiletry/over the counter medicines etc with us.

Each person has their own approach on this.

Also on a 30 day cruise it is possible that you will travel greater distances and depending on where you are sailing and time of year may need a great selection of warm/cool weather clothing then on one seven day cruise which would involve short distances of travel.

Keith

Ditto! OK, I might pack more formal outfits on a long cruise but that's about all.

The reality is we do pack more for a 30 day cruise then a short one.

We prefer not to wear the same items over and over so we do take more clothes on a longer cruise.

Keith

This is actually very important and it took us a few extended trips to find our comfort zone with how many outfits to pack. One reason we get away with only around 11 regardless of the trip time is almost all of those are mix and match so we really have many different outfits to wear. That comfort zone is different for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like someone else mentioned, prescription and a well thought out supply of over the counter medications should be considered. If you need meds while on the ship, they either may not have what you are looking for or they will be the most expensive over the counter meds you have ever purchased. This is especially important when you have many sea days in a row.

FYI....since we are talking about meds. Here are a couple of examples of better meds found on the road.

We found through trial and error that the Imodium sold in Mexico is awesome for Montezumas whether you get it in Mexico, Europe or Asia....haven’t tried it in South America yet, but no doubt it will work. Yeah, we tend to be adventurous eaters and drinkers.

The ingredients on the box are the same as what is sold in the US, but something is different. We had brought Imodium from the US on our first trip to Mexico and it didn’t even slow down the trips to the restroom so we bought more in Mexico and it stopped it with the first pill. Several times since then it has stopped it with the first pill. So, now we make sure we have some on hand for all travel. Helps that we are in Mexico at least every other year for a couple of months so we can restock.

And next time we are in Italy we will stock up on the cough medicine that is a lozenge - much much stronger than our lozenges in the US - it is the same as Tussin DM cough syrup but in lozenge form shaped like a Halls but larger. Unfortunately I threw the box away to save room because we were on an extended land trip, and we are now out. Those were awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It really does depend on the ports of call and the destination, if it is a relocation cruise for instance, the weather may be hot in one area and cold at the other. Additionally, some ports of call may be clothing specific, snorkel gear or hiking gear or perhaps gloves, jacket and beanie for a high altitude lookout. If the weather is going to be relatively similar for the whole cruise, nothing would really change as laundry would need to be done.

Packing for 30 days or more...

* Prescription meds and a few extra in case of emergencies.

* First aid kit that includes anti-biotics, anti-histamine, diarrhea meds, cough meds, and feminine pads.

* Cleaning wipes. Knowing that we are staying in the same cabin for over 30 days, It is important to us that we absolutely wipe down everything the first day we get in our cabin.

* We pack for 10 days and use the ships laundry.

* We always bring an umbrella and lightweight raincoat.

* Extra batteries and SD cards for our cameras.

* We photocopy our passports and driver's licenses.

(I'm sure we'll think of something else later.:))

Note: We typically finish our cruise with a much lighter luggage because we use up all the heavy fluids we bring....contact lens cleaner, mouthwash, toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.

Before we leave, we pay all our bills or plan paying them online. We cancel our cable tv, put a hold on our mail, and tell at least a couple of neighbors we are leaving for an extended period of time. We also give a copy of our itinerary to at least one of our relatives. Oh, and we call our banks and inform them that we'll be using our credit cards in several countries.

We pack for 6-7 days. Does not matter if it is a 14-21 day cruise or a two month land trip. We got tired of hauling around clothes.

The only exception is prescription meds. We stopped packing for 'just in case' years ago. No duct tape, hangers, whatever. This works for us. We have no issue paying for laundry.

We pack for 6-7 days. Does not matter if it is a 14-21 day cruise or a two month land trip. We got tired of hauling around clothes.

The only exception is prescription meds. We stopped packing for 'just in case' years ago. No duct tape, hangers, whatever. This works for us. We have no issue paying for laundry.

Yeah, tend to not worry about the what ifs so much.