August Cruise for wife's 40th

stryker412

Hi all! I'm starting to research a cruise for my wife's birthday in August. It's been around 15 years since our last cruise. I wanted to celebrate her 40th with a nice cruise. I wanted some suggestions/tips if possible. We still have young children so any cruises 7+ days are out. I'm looking mostly at 3-5 days in the Eastern or Western Caribbean. We're in NJ but the options out of Bayonne don't look so good right now. Willing to leave out of Florida since we have a local airport. I narrowed it down to these, but would also like other suggestions if you have any. We went on Carnival when we were younger and it was great but I'm looking for more of a relaxed atmosphere this time around. Now that Cuba is a destination we can go, that really interested me.

• Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (Tampa - Havana - Cozumel) - August 1st
  • Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas (Baltimore - King's Wharf) August 11th

• Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (Tampa - Key West - Havana) August 11th

• Norwegian Sky (Miami - Havana - Bahamas) August 13th or 20th

Please forgive me, but I do not understand the statement "You can do Bermuda anytime"......you can do ANY of the above Islands anytime! What is the difference with Bermuda and the above mentioned Islands??? Nothing. Bermuda, however is one of the most beautiful Islands in the world. Have been there so many times and will never, ever tire of it....where as, there are many Islands....like St. Thomas, St. Martin. Nassau, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, soooooo tired of any have no desire to ever return to. I guess it is just all a matter of opinion....but I have YET to see ANYONE say they did not love Bermuda or would never return...I cannot say that about any other Island.

Cuba? Oh boy.....old cars, rice and beans!!!! Sounds like paradise

Edited by champagne123

Agree with Champagne 123 and others,Bermuda is the best destination of the four listed.

My DH and I have visited Bermuda over twelve times over the past 35 years. It is a lovely place with beautiful scenery, friendly people and offers many opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment.

You will not experience persistent vendors or the abject poverty seen on many of the Caribbean islands while visiting Bermuda.

We are returning there on a Celebrity cruise this summer.

It is our grandchildrens’ (11 and 8) first cruise and first visit to Bermuda.

We are looking forward to sharing a wonderful experience with them !

A second choice could be Cuba ,if only for the experience of a place that has long been prohibited to US travelers.

However, it does remain a Communist country and IMHO,I would not choose to spend my tourist dollars there.

I do wish you and your wife a most enjoyable cruise. It is very thoughtful of you to plan such a birthday gift for her !

Have been to both Bermuda and Cuba and loved them both. But Cuba is much more interesting and thought provoking while Bermuda is romantic and easy going. Hard to take Cuba in in just a few days. On a short cruise, go to Bermuda. Driving to port and more temperate climate is the icing on the cake. Maybe put airfare money into a more elaborate cabin.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I didn't get notifications of reponses (other than the first) so I have not responded yet.

That is correct we are NOT taking the kids, this will be our first vacation alone in more than 10 years. I also agree with Cuba being a high interest destination but I also like saving money. This is also the first time we'll be away from your twins (2.5) so we also have to arrange care for them. I absolutely want a balcony room so I will start looking more and more into the Bermuda trip. Thanks all!

have you looked at celebrity out of Miami 11 august - 7 nights - key west, Cozumel, grand cayman, costa maya

celebrity getaway 7 nights 12th august

Unfortunately we cannot be away from our kids for that long. The cruise itself would be 7 days plus we'd have to tack on another 2 days for the before/after stay.