Pregnant on Board - Zika Concerns

kelikea

Hi everyone! I am on the Feb. 9, 2018 sailing on the Anthem of the Seas out of NJ. We're going to Cape Canaveral, FL and Nassau and Freeport, Bahamas.

Here's my issue... I just found out I'm pregnant. This cruise is already booked and I really really really do not want to cancel anything. Is there really a huge issue with Zika in the Bahamas? I mean if it's really that terrible, I could stay on the ship I suppose.

Any other pregnant women out there going on cruises in Zika locations? What did your OB suggest you do?

Any advise or information would be helpful. Thank you!

Our pregnant daughter was minutes away from booking to go on our Caribbean cruise in Feb with us when she thought about Zika. She decided not to go. I've never been bitten or even seen a mosquito on the cruise ship, but I recommend asking your doctor. Do you have trip insurance?

It would be outside my comfort zone. I have seen mosquitoes (one each time not a swarm) on the ship in port. Here’s what the Royal website says, so you know your options.

“Zika Virus Update

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.” http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_security_guide

Congratulations by the way on your pregnancy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My daughter found out she was pregnant before her booked cruise.

They felt the health of the child was more important than a $3000 cruise.

They have a happy healthy 1 yo bouncing baby boy.

I'm proud of them for making the unselfish adult decision.

No, insurance didn't provide any coverage and the cruise line didn't budge. They just took the hit.

My only concern is that most of the cruises to the Bahamas from Bayonne or Baltimore, the ship usually stays late in the evening when ported in Nassau. I would be more afraid of mosquitoes at night then during the day.

Only you can decide whether to risk it or not. I’d take your Drs. advice on what to do.

Congratulations on the pregnancy.....

Gwen [emoji3]

I was 20 weeks pregnant when we went on a cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. Zika had JUST emerged. So recently that the first time I had heard of it was as we were getting on the ship and they handed us a flyer about it. Did I mildly freak out while checking in? Yes. Did I go with it and change plans accordingly? Yes. We decided to do our beach day in Cozumel all while I stayed lathered in bug repellent. We also decided to stay on the ship while in Progresso. We had a great time and my OB was completely fine with it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy yourself. And congratulations on the little one!

Is the risk to reward really worth it?

That's my thought too. Willingly going someplace where I am taking a risk of my baby contracting a life-altering disease just so I could enjoy a vacation would not be something I would ever do. Just because a person uses insect repellent or stays on the ship does not completely eliminate the possibility of getting bitten and contracting the disease. A person has the rest of their life to take a cruise or can choose an itinerary that has ports where there is no risk. I have seen bugs on the cruise ships.

So last January we went on a cruise (also on Anthem) with another couple, and she was 4 months pregnant at the time. We had a 12 night southern caribbean itinerary. She opted to stay on the ship and not get off at the ports, and she wore bug spray on the pool deck. She was totally fine, gave birth to a healthy baby boy months later. That said, the risk is definitely there, and if you will be worrying the entire time then you will not enjoy yourself. It is a personal decision. If it were me, I would still go - especially because Anthem, being a cold weather ship, has lots of covered areas where you don't have to be outside exposed to bugs.

Either way, congratulations and hope you make the choice that you feel most comfortable with!

There's only ONE thing that you have to ask yourself: If your baby gets infected and your baby contracts a life-altering disease. Can you live with that?

If the answer is yes, then go on the cruise. If the answer is no, don't go.

Our DD had a similar issue about a year ago after she had purchased airline tickets to Puerto Vallarta (where we live in the winter). A few weeks later she found out she was pregnant. Her obstetrician told her the risk was slight, but there was a risk. DD called Delta Airlines and explained the situation and they quickly agreed to cancel the ticket and give her a refund (even though it was a non-refundable ticket).

Bottom line for her (and us...as Grandparents) was that any risk, no matter how small, was not worth it. Is there a Zika risk in the Bahamas, Well the CDC rates the Bahamas as a Level 2 Risk which means one should use "enhanced precautions." They specifically caution that pregnant women should not travel to areas with a risk of Zika.

Hank

There is no chance at all I would go on that cruise. You will worry for the rest of your pregnancy about what you may have exposed your baby , to,,,, at least I would.

Seeing you asked, that is my honest direct opinion. NO cruise, no vacation is worth any risk at ll of exposing a fetus to Zika. Ask your doctor and don't lather up with all sorts of repellent without your OB saying it is safe for pregnant women to use.. I Maybe it could be absorbed through the skin?

Is it safe to slather yourself with bug repellant that will be absorbed through your skin? It would be best to consult your OBGYN on whether or not you should go.

I hope you had "cancel for any reason" insurance because it will be difficult to cite your pregnancy and Zika as reasons for a cruise credit. Cruise lines bent their rules when Zika first emerged but now there are public health warnings in the affected areas.

Unless you're scheduled to visit an area with a bad outbreak, I would go and just take extra precautions, perhaps staying on board. The chances of getting it and having an issue are pretty low. You could stay home and be in a bad car accident too. Obviously only my opinion and runs contrary to most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There have been Zika cases reported in Florida, but I believe the women had travelled to the Caribbean during their pregnancies.

I wouldn't go if it were me.

There were zika mosquitos in Miami.

Let's assume that the chances of catching Zika are 1 in 100,000. Lets assume arbitrarily that you are the unlucky 1 in 100,000 that caught it. Considering that you could have cancelled your cruise, could you live w yourself?

DON