Will Seaside still go to Jamaica?

calgaryhhr

I know that our itinerary for Feb 10 includes Ocho Rios and I'm wondering if MSC will consider changing our schedule based on the recent violence and unrest in Jamaica (primarily focused in Montego Bay)?

The Government of Canada updated their travel advisory for Jamaica this morning to exercise a high degree of caution and to avoid all travel to the country.

..... as am I. I hadn't heard anything about trouble in Jamaica.

ETA The state of emergency in St James has triggered travel advisories from the United Kingdom (UK) and Canada.

The UK Foreign office has told British tourists to stay in their hotels, warning of intensive law enforcement activities in response to recent violence including shooting incidents.

The statement says tourists should stay in their resorts and limit travel beyond their respective security perimeters.

It says travel to and from the airport or for excursions should be undertaken with organised tour operators, and transport should be arranged or provided by the resorts.

Meanwhile, the Canadian government is warning travellers to exercise a high degree of caution.

The United States Department of State already has an advisory in place for Jamaica.

The level two advisory says citizens should exercise increased caution in Jamaica due to crime and not to travel to Spanish Town and some areas of Kingston and Montego Bay.

I know that our itinerary for Feb 10 includes Ocho Rios and I'm wondering if MSC will consider changing our schedule based on the recent violence and unrest in Jamaica (primarily focused in Montego Bay)?

The Government of Canada updated their travel advisory for Jamaica this morning to exercise a high degree of caution and to avoid all travel to the country.

I looked up the current Canadian travel advisory and it doesn't actually warn against travel to the country. It says:

"On January 18, 2018, a state of emergency was declared by the Jamaican government for St James Parish, which includes Montego Bay, as a result of a significant increase in violent crime. Military forces have been deployed to the area in an attempt to stabilize the situation.

If you are staying at a resort in the affected area, restrict your movements beyond resort security perimeters. If you do travel outside these perimeters, use transportation arranged or provided by the resort. Use organized tour operators for excursions and travel to and from the airport. If you are in the affected area, be extremely vigilant, follow the instructions of local authorities and monitor local news."

Jamaica - Exercise a high degree of caution

"Exercise a high degree of caution in Jamaica due to the high level of violent crime and the state of emergency in St James Parish.

And then it has the usual warnings regarding crimes of opportunity and etc that have probably been there for 30 years for Jamaica."

But I can understand your concern. We've actually been considering staying on board in Jamaica more because of my previous experience there.

My understanding is Jamaica has made an effort to keep crime down in the Ocho Rios area by increasing visible police presence during cruise ship docking times. Friends who live near Ocho Rios say it is mainly the usual pick pocketing and credit card skimming which seems to be business as usual in Jamaica there. They believe things in Ocho Rios will be plenty calm given the current attention at least in the short term but of course who knows?

There's always the other side of the coin, though. Amnesty International has for several years claimed most of the murders and violent crime in Jamaica is actually the result of illegal police tactics and intimidation and not gang violence as claimed by the government.

I suspect Ocho Rios immediate port area may be restricted to local merchants and those who work there only. When I was there last year, there were a lot of police and private security guards around and hardly any local residents. One rough looking character who ventured into the zone was immediately cornered and arrested by the police. I would not put too much weight on Amnesty International claims as it has its own political agenda and hardly objective.

I wouldn't worry about that.... Over the past several years the US has put out travel advisories about Cabo and Matzalan on Mexico's West coast.... Cruises have continued .... Jamaica relies on tourism as one of their major revenue drivers....They will ensure safety and excursions which are safe

I would be happy with scrapping Nassau as well. I was really disappointed when the private island was replaced by Nassau.

I'm not sure if you know... but their private island is still under construction.... It's supposed to be the best in the area , once completed, which I believe will be in the fall of 2018

I'm not sure if you know... but their private island is still under construction.... It's supposed to be the best in the area , once completed, which I believe will be in the fall of 2018

The private island calls have been removed from itineraries up to March 2019.

I've got reservations on sailings in June 2019 and they show no mention of the new island.. still substituting Nassau (ewww)

~Brian

I'd wondered about Summer 2019 sailings, alright. I think the horrendous storms that the Caribbean experienced recently have seriously set the project back.

I've got reservations on sailings in June 2019 and they show no mention of the new island.. still substituting Nassau (ewww)

~Brian

It could be worse, they could substitute Freeport instead.

We'll be on Seaside next week with a stop in Ocho Rios. I had originally planned to just get off to check out the immediate port area and then get back on the ship but last week found an interesting restaurant around 15 minutes away that I thought would be good for lunch (especially since the Seaside buffet reviews aren't great). I asked on Trip Advisor whether it was safe to walk and 2 locals told me that it was. Maybe I'll reconsider my plans.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I am aware. I've been following Seaside closely since booking our cruise in late 2015.

Yo MrBill99,

I'm interested in the name of the restaurant in Ocho Rios as we were considering the exact same plan.

Thanks

Miss T's Kitchen

I checked the question that I posted on TA and it seems that I got more answers. Most people say that walking is fine. One person said not to walk alone, but there will be 2 of us so not an issue.

You're not on my Seaside cruise, are you? I also have places for lunch in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

~Brian

I'd wondered about Summer 2019 sailings, alright. I think the horrendous storms that the Caribbean experienced recently have seriously set the project back.
I saw that it was listed for the October 28, 2019 sailing of the Meraviglia out of NYC when it relocates to Miami, stopping at Ocean Cay (hopefully) on Saturday November 9, 2019.

Miss T's Kitchen

I checked the question that I posted on TA and it seems that I got more answers. Most people say that walking is fine. One person said not to walk alone, but there will be 2 of us so not an issue.

You're not on my Seaside cruise, are you? I also have places for lunch in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Got anything for Nassau? Friends recommended a place but it's the same place we've already eaten there twice. Originally thought we'd go to Graycliff Chocolatier there but with so much chocolate on the ship we may just stay on the ship.