Cash tips

mexicobob

How does the person I tip at the moment of service know if I have my automatic tips ( which I always do) covered?

What I've been told (which may or may not be accurate) is that they have to turn over all cash tips to the manager, indicating who it came from. Manager then verifies whether you've removed the autogratuities. As long as you paid the automatic, the individual gets the cash back. If you did not pay the autograts, the cash goes into the pool.

What I've been told (which may or may not be accurate) is that they have to turn over all cash tips to the manager' date=' indicating who it came from. Manager then verifies whether you've removed the autogratuities. As long as you paid the automatic, the individual gets the cash back. If you did not pay the autograts, the cash goes into the pool.[/quote']

The accounting department will produce a report about 3 days after the cruise has ended on what passengers have removed the auto gratuities.

Once on a cruise i heard the captains circle lady getting an earful from a passenger. Passenger said she was taking her tips off because no one on the cruise deserved it. If they did a better job "kissing her feet" she would think about giving cash. The CC lady said that the staff will know immediately when they are taken off. And if they do get cash after that it will be taken from them to go into the pool.

Not sure if this was true, but you just never know.

Once on a cruise i heard the captains circle lady getting an earful from a passenger. Passenger said she was taking her tips off because no one on the cruise deserved it. If they did a better job "kissing her feet" she would think about giving cash. The CC lady said that the staff will know immediately when they are taken off. And if they do get cash after that it will be taken from them to go into the pool.

Not sure if this was true, but you just never know.

They don’t know until a few days after cruise end

They don’t know until a few days after cruise end

The housekeeping supervisor knows.

The head waiters in the dining room know.

On the last night, after service, each waiter brings their cash tips

-- which should be in envelopes, with a cabin number -- to the head

waiter for the section.

If passenger has NOT cancelled tips, the waiter/junior are allowed to keep the cash.

They now have a big manila envelope for each station that the waiter is required

to place any cash tips on the last night.

Previously, there could easily be some pocket slight of hand by the less than honest

waiters.

Put envelope with passenger cash in one pocket. Hand in envelope with little cash

from another pocket.

They don’t know until a few days after cruise end, the system changed after tip were pooled fleet wide.

Perhaps you're thinking of one's share of the collected hotel charges.

That is not known until a few days after a voyage.

Strangely, people in dining call this 'salary'.

Also, if you are a waiter, and a passenger who can be tied to you cancels tips,

you usually expect to visit the maitre d's office and explain what went wrong.

Am aware that the tips you pay upfront go into a tip pool to be shared fleet wide. If you give someone a cash tip for special service are they required to put it in the pool?

Until Princess answers that questions you will never know. People want to believe that money they give directly to a crew member goes into their pocket but that isn't known for a fact.

Until Princess answers that questions you will never know. People want to believe that money they give directly to a crew member goes into their pocket but that isn't known for a fact.

Princess state on there own website that pools are pooled fleet wide

Princess state on there own website that pools are pooled fleet wide

I'm curious, could you tell where you saw this on Princess website. Someone a while back told me it's there, but have not been able to find it. Thanks..

I'm curious, could you tell where you saw this on Princess website. Someone a while back told me it's there, but have not been able to find it. Thanks..

In ther faq section

Copy and pasted

HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts.

Am aware that the tips you pay upfront go into a tip pool to be shared fleet wide. If you give someone a cash tip for special service are they required to put it in the pool?

Tips are shared shop wide not fleet wide.

Yes you can tip extra in cash engine it directly to the prison you want to thank. That does not get added to the top pool.

As there is an automagic 15% gratuity added to all bar charges I figure bar staff can take cash tips without having to turn them in. It's not as if one can decide to "turn off" the 15% charge so there's no issue of not tipping at all.

Yes you can tip extra in cash engine it directly to the prison you want to thank. That does not get added to the top pool.

Tips are pooled fleet wide, as it states on the Princess website

In keeping with Princess tradition, it is likely implemented slightly different on each ship, according to the wishes of the chief purser of the ship. If you want to insure the person you are giving the tip to is able to keep it, be sure to tip in bitcoin only.;p

Shop? Engine? Prison? Top? Sorry but it doesn't make sense..........................

In keeping with Princess tradition, it is likely implemented slightly different on each ship, according to the wishes of the chief purser of the ship. If you want to insure the person you are giving the tip to is able to keep it, be sure to tip in bitcoin only.;p

I used to hand out gift cards, I still don't know if they had to declare them........................