Single Cruiser experience

loonlagoon1

Your experience in sailing solo is really going to vary greatly according to the cruise line.

I've sailed solo exclusively but only on one line. It has fixed seating and I ask for a large table where I will be assured dining company. This may be more challenging on ships that have open dining and/or you are not an extroverted personality.

For a number of years before I remarried cruising was my favorite vacation mode. Traveling alone and staying alone at hotels/resorts can be very lonesome experiences, while on cruises the environment greatly supports interaction.

I found dining at a large, assigned table provided a "nucleus" every evening; and there are usually activities aimed at single travelers.

You should try it - probably at least a seven day itinerary to avoid the heavy partying on shorter ones - and not Norwegian Cruise Line, because their "free style" approach means you would almost always dine alone.

and not Norwegian Cruise Line, because their "free style" approach means you would almost always dine alone.

On the larger NCL ships that have studios, there is generally a solo coordinator who will plan nightly dinners for the solos. The first night the meeting is held in an area accessible to all and then after that it's held in the studio lounge.

The solos are generally a wide age range from early 20's up to 70's or so.

I have been cruising solo for four years since my husband's death. We had previously cruised RC and I felt happy and comfortable because I knew the ships and what to expect.

Pros - more room! Being able to do what you want, when you want; you are your own boss.

Cons - more expensive. Can be lonely, especially in the evening. I fly in the night before and tend to worry about staying in a hotel alone (oddly enough cabin doesn't bother me), transportation to ship, luggage arriving, etc. pretty much all the things that might go wrong!

I choose traditional dining, second seating, and have met great table mates. You have to be willing to join in things like trivia, classes, strike up a conversation, etc.

Grateful to have diamond and sometimes concierge lounge access on RC. Great for meeting people.

Try it - it's not the same as with your spouse, but can still be a great vacation. I did try one cruise with a friend, and although enjoyable, prefer the independence of being solo.

On the larger NCL ships that have studios, there is generally a solo coordinator who will plan nightly dinners for the solos. The first night the meeting is held in an area accessible to all and then after that it's held in the studio lounge.

The solos are generally a wide age range from early 20's up to 70's or so.

Wouldn't work for me bacause it means that if I don't attend the solo gathering that day I'm out of luck. Some have reported dining alone because they didn't attend. Generally, a Maitre D' on NCL will not seat a solo with others unless unless everyone walks in together.

Pros you do what you want, when you want without catering to someone else. You get all the storage space to yourself.

Cons it is expensive.

I have found people to be very friendly, and have not had any issues cruising alone. I choose traditional dining with a large table.

It helps that I like my own company and don’t mind being on my own, lots of practice.

I generally do a ship tour for excursions unless I am very confident of city and language.

To all those people who tell me how brave I am cruising on my own I reply, cruise alone or stay at home. Choice is clear.

Try it, don’t get too caught up in the solo cruiser meetings, join in with with you want, don’t do anything you don’t want to. Trivia I have always been asked to join groups when people see I am on my own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums