Trip Insuance Quandry

bboop51

I am really befuddled as to what to do about our trip insurance. We booked through Celebrity and they tacked on their insurance and I know I can take it off before final payment (which is coming quickly.) I actually intended to get "better" insurance. Here is my dilemma... I am hoping for some advice. I really need an "any reason to cancel" policy, which the Celebrity policy is fine for. Otherwise I checked and I found some policies on insuremytrip from Nationwide. Now here is my problem. We have no out of network medical coverage. Therefore we rely on the trip insure if G_d forbid anything happens. I have a couple pre-exisiting conditions, but nothings that had "erupted" in years. Everything is just maintaining. I know if I stick with the Celebrity policy I am fine, no matter what happens (since it was purchased when we booked.) But, there is not much coverage. I am nervous to switch three months out and find I stuck with a big bill and have nothing covered, because of something that I have.

Any advice ? I know better for next time... Thanks:D

I would give tripinsurancestore dot com a call. I have used them many times and they will answer all of you questions. There is also a policy that will waive pre existing conditions as long as you purchase before final payment.

Alan

I would give tripinsurancestore dot com a call. I have used them many times and they will answer all of you questions. There is also a policy that will waive pre existing conditions as long as you purchase before final payment.

Alan

Thank you. I checked them and none of the policies seemed to be any reason to cancel. I was so confused (not that it was unusual for me LOL) But I will call them tomorrow.

b - Consider posting this on the Cruise/Travel Insurance board AND consider speaking with one or two companies cited there.

In my experience, they have been very helpful in my purchase of travel insurance, coverage and explanation of benefits.

bon voyage

Thanks, I did not know there was such a board...

will do !

Thank you. I checked them and none of the policies seemed to be any reason to cancel. I was so confused (not that it was unusual for me LOL) But I will call them tomorrow.

Another vote for the trip insurance store.:) Steve and his team are very knowledgeable and can answer all of your questions. We just booked our trip insurance with them for our April cruise.

Carolyn

I am really befuddled as to what to do about our trip insurance. We booked through Celebrity and they tacked on their insurance and I know I can take it off before final payment (which is coming quickly.) I actually intended to get "better" insurance. Here is my dilemma... I am hoping for some advice. I really need an "any reason to cancel" policy, which the Celebrity policy is fine for. Otherwise I checked and I found some policies on insuremytrip from Nationwide. Now here is my problem. We have no out of network medical coverage. Therefore we rely on the trip insure if G_d forbid anything happens. I have a couple pre-exisiting conditions, but nothings that had "erupted" in years. Everything is just maintaining. I know if I stick with the Celebrity policy I am fine, no matter what happens (since it was purchased when we booked.) But, there is not much coverage. I am nervous to switch three months out and find I stuck with a big bill and have nothing covered, because of something that I have.

Any advice ? I know better for next time... Thanks:D

It's not clear to me if you actually paid for the Celebrity policy when you booked the cruise. If you are looking for other insurance, it may indicate that you haven't paid for the Celebrity policy. Your Celebrity policy begins when you actually pay for the policy. You may not have coverage for pre-existing conditions with Celebrity if you actually pay for the insurance when you make final payment.

It's not clear to me if you actually paid for the Celebrity policy when you booked the cruise. If you are looking for other insurance, it may indicate that you haven't paid for the Celebrity policy. Your Celebrity policy begins when you actually pay for the policy. You may not have coverage for pre-existing conditions with Celebrity if you actually pay for the insurance when you make final payment.

Sorry, not paid but it's on the invoice, so I'm told that it's the same thing.

I second this advice! They have helped me with some very specific questions about coverage. While I also use insuremytrip dot com when I don't have questions, more and more I gravitate toward tripinsurancestore dot com for their advice.

I'm going to call the Trip Insurance Store tomorrow. I'm hoping they have any reason to cancel insurance. Thanks to everyone that answered. I don't think the pre-existing condition situation is really an issue (if I book before I before final payment) but Maa worry wart.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

Make that call. Tell Steve and his staff exactly what you told us, be prepared to be asked a lot of questions because they know trip insurance but they don't know you and they want to get it right for you. They have done a great job for us and thankfully we have never had to use the insurance since we started dealing with them. Before that I just shopped for cheap policies and ended up with a lot of aggrivation the one time I did need to use the insurance. They really know their stuff and they have a whole lot of options and they will not hesitate to tell you to stick with what you have if they cannot find a policy that works for you.

Thanks, I am not by any means looking for cheap insurance. That is why I am here. I am going to make that call today. I have my questions :) I appreciate all the good advice given here !

CSA for those in the US in certain states can be purchased within 24 hours of final payment and covers pre-existing conditions.

I don’t know of any policy that covers cancel for any reason that can be purchased after initial payment. At least tripinsurance store doesn’t carry one ( or they didn’t a year ago).

They have a limited number of policies they work with, but let us know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you too all that assisted. We now have what I was looking for (an explanation) and any reason to cancel insurance. The Trip Insurance Store could not help but a call to Insure My Trip was so helpful. I got all the answers I wanted and needed and hung up with insurance.

Thank you too all that assisted. We now have what I was looking for (an explanation) and any reason to cancel insurance. The Trip Insurance Store could not help but a call to Insure My Trip was so helpful. I got all the answers I wanted and needed and hung up with insurance.

Glad that you have something that works, could you give us a summary of what you ended up purchasing and why? How was this better than cruise line insurance. I think it would help educate everyone.

I'm going to call the Trip Insurance Store tomorrow. I'm hoping they have any reason to cancel insurance. Thanks to everyone that answered. I don't think the pre-existing condition situation is really an issue (if I book before I before final payment) but Maa worry wart.

What is the coverage on the Any Reason insurance, 70%? And how much extra was it with and without.

I don't have the cruise line policy handy but the medical was low and we have no out network insurance. I took Nationwide it was $395.87 for a weeks cruise to Bermuda. All cruise no flying. $2,500 Travel Baggage, $100,000 medical. I can't recall the evacuation but it was much higher than what Celebrity's policy offered.

Question for OP - Are you saying that Insure My Trip was able to provide an insurance policy that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage even though you purchased the insurance much later than your original booking date? Does the 70% refer to the amount that you would be reimbursed if you canceled for any reason - or just specific reasons?

Question for OP - Are you saying that Insure My Trip was able to provide an insurance policy that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage even though you purchased the insurance much later than your original booking date? Does the 70% refer to the amount that you would be reimbursed if you canceled for any reason - or just specific reasons?

I had the same question regarding purchasing a Cancel for Any Reason policy (besides cruise line protection policy) after making initial payment and just before final payment.

The reason most insurers don’t do this after final payment is because someone could purchase with the likely intention of canceling. However the policy amount would be after whatever is already refunded by the cruise line.

So the question to the OP is how close to the departure can they cancel the Nationwide policy for any reason (such as 48 hours)' date=' and what percentage does the policy really cover after deducting what they would get back from Celebrity on that date and subtracting the cost of the policy? What percentage was the policy cost of the cruise cost?

Yes they were able to provide with a policy that I can cancel for any reason and get 70% back (within two days of the trip). That even includes just deciding we feel like not going. Keep in mind we have not made final payment.

I had the same question regarding purchasing a Cancel for Any Reason policy (besides cruise line protection policy) after making initial payment and just before final payment.

The reason most insurers don’t do this after final payment is because someone could purchase with the likely intention of canceling. However the policy amount would be after whatever is already refunded by the cruise line.

So the question to the OP is how close to the departure can they cancel the Nationwide policy for any reason (such as 48 hours), and what percentage does the policy really cover after deducting what they would get back from Celebrity on that date and subtracting the cost of the policy? What percentage was the policy cost of the cruise cost?

I don't have the Celebrity policy. I had it last year but don't recall the specifics except that it was also 70% in a credit toward another cruise and similar time frame, which was two days. The Celebrity policy is $119 PP. But, it apples and oranges for us, because the medical coverage IMO was too low if something really happened. Again, we have NO out of network coverage once leaving the US. I just had this discussion with our friends who are taking an NCL cruise in July. We expect to have healthy happy cruise but are prepared for every eventuality that (we can) may come our way.