Flu shot - poll

luckyprincess

Are you getting the flu shot before your cruise?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting the flu shot before your cruise?

• I have already or will be getting the flu shot
    • I have not/will not be getting the flu shot
    • No opinion - I just really like polls!

So the flu is getting pretty widespread where I am. People are wearing masks in grocery stores, trains, etc. I've only gotten the flu shot once due to lack of insurance. I have insurance now and am thinking this would be a great idea. I almost ALWAYS get sick after taking a plane and even though I wash my hands and use the hand sanitizer I still would hate to get sick on or before my vacay. I took microbiology in college so I know that you don't get the flu from the flu shot (killed virus, not live, impossible to transmit from shot) so I'm not worried about that aspect lol. But I also realize when they create the vaccine they can only make an educated guess at which strains will be in the population so they aren't always effective. How many others will be getting their flu shot this year before cruising?

I get a flu shot every October, have for many years now. Even if I were to get the flu I would still know that I did what I could to try and prevent it. Our insurance pays 100% so I see no reason not to get it.

Our whole family gets a flu shot every fall whether we cruise or not. I work in a Hospital and my wife is a school principal. Lots of chance to get exposure. I think this year the vaccine effectiveness is not great but some years it is, so I take my chances since it is pretty painless.

dp

So the flu is getting pretty widespread where I am. People are wearing masks in grocery stores, trains, etc. I've only gotten the flu shot once due to lack of insurance. I have insurance now and am thinking this would be a great idea. I almost ALWAYS get sick after taking a plane and even though I wash my hands and use the hand sanitizer I still would hate to get sick on or before my vacay. I took microbiology in college so I know that you don't get the flu from the flu shot (killed virus, not live, impossible to transmit from shot) so I'm not worried about that aspect lol. But I also realize when they create the vaccine they can only make an educated guess at which strains will be in the population so they aren't always effective. How many others will be getting their flu shot this year before cruising?

MY family always take a cold medicine decongestant after flying. We know that it will allow for a great night sleep after flight and ward off any of the 'little' annoyances that can crop up on contained pressurized metal tube.

Ps also got the flu shot.

We have started getting the flu shot every year. Now we can just stop in at a pharmacy here and get one and it’s free (Ontario, Canada). We just make sure nobody’s is feeling like they have a cold or anything coming on (that’s when people think they got sick from the shot, when they were already getting sick).

And bonus, my daughter is terrified of needles, but now they have an inhaled version (up the nose). So even she gets one with no complaint.

I’ve had the flu twice before (when I haven’t gotten the shot) and never want it again. I was in bed for a week :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have gotten the flu twice, I have gotten the flu shot twice. Both times I got the flu and the shot the same year. Ever since then I refuse to get it. I know that the vaccine is inactivated and can't actually cause the flu, but I've had too bad of a history with it.

I got the flu shot and still got the flu. Was sick for about 3 weeks--this year it has not been very effective. Tried to ride it out, but thank God for antibiotics. I'm thinking of investing in latex gloves for my upcoming cruise.:p

I got the flu shot and still got the flu. Was sick for about 3 weeks--this year it has not been very effective. Tried to ride it out, but thank God for antibiotics. I'm thinking of investing in latex gloves for my upcoming cruise.:p

The flu is a virus, so antibiotics won’t help, unless you had a bacterial infection on top of the flu.

I have never had the flu, but told myself at 65, I would start getting one. The last couple of years, haven’t had so much as a sniffle, and that included 33 days on a ship with all of my friends (and others) coming down with that horrible bronchial thing. Although it is only 30% effective this year, it’s still better than nothing.

Feeling lucky?? I suppose there is a chance that; the people around you now, all the people you will be around on your way to the ship, and the thousands of people on the cruise are free of the flu virus. If you can’t decide what’s best for you maybe be concerned with the people you will infect when you catch it. Looks like a few good flu candidates have already posted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you needed antibiotics you didn’t have the flu. The flu is a virus and antibiotics do nothing for it. You likely had something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also get a flu shot every year in Sept-Oct....My insurance covers this and I get it at Costco, if you don't have ins. it's $14.99 if you're a member.

Have never gotten the flu until this year...has been horrible !!

The flu is a virus, so antibiotics won’t help, unless you had a bacterial infection on top of the flu.

I have never had the flu, but told myself at 65, I would start getting one. The last couple of years, haven’t had so much as a sniffle, and that included 33 days on a ship with all of my friends (and others) coming down with that horrible bronchial thing. Although it is only 30% effective this year, it’s still better than nothing.

Tell that to my body.

Never got a flu shot or purchased travel insurance. Then came down with flu on Christmas day while on Explorer a few years back. Medical fixed me up with Tamiflu and some IV meds. Fully recovered in 72 hours. The downside, $1,000 medical bill. Learned my lesson. Now always get flu shot and always buy travel insurance.