Experience with Princess rate issues

moki'smommy

OK, I lost out on the cruise that I was planning because I didn't have my TA put a hold on the cabin and it disappeared. SO, I found another cruise, different date, so I have to go back to square 1 and confer with the other party involved. I took a screen shot of the cruise, the cabin type, rate, etc. and sent it to the TA who contacted Princess. Princess claimed to be unable to find that rate and decided that this rate must only be seen when I've signed into their web site. Now what they are both (Princess and the TA) are telling me is that I'll have to have the TA release the hold and then plug it into the computer again to grab the rate.

I don't like the sound of this. First of all, what if someone else grabs it in the few minutes between the release and it coming up on my computer? (unlikely, but.....) Secondly, what if the rate has changed during the time of the hold? In my opinion, Princess didn't honor the rate at the time the hold was instituted; I don't think they are going to turn around and honor it after the hold has been released.

The critical issue is that this is the only HA cabin remaining....so we get that cabin or we don't cruise.

Next time, when you find the cabin that you want (since HA are hard to come by). Don't put it on a hold, book it. After you've booked it, call and transfer to your TA.

OP did not even place any hold on the cabin. The way I read it the OP notified their TA that that was the cabin they wanted, and the TA placed the hold even though said TA could not find the same rate the OP found. Now TA is saying that the only way to correctly refare is to release the hold and start over, rather than complete the booking (to ensure the desired HC cabin) and then refare--based on a somewhat shaky assurance from Princess.

So its a thicket. Which would have been solved by the OP even just putting on hold the moment they spotted that last HC cabin on their preferred cruise, then confirming with their TA that they could take over the booking once they (the OP) completed it.

Yes, obviously in retrospect I should have booked it myself. I didn't (and still don't) know if I can put a 24 hour hold on a cabin...but I knew my TA could. That's why I involved her right away--to give myself time to confer with my traveling companion. I blew it on the first date by not placing a hold, so was trying to do it right this time.

I've found another cruise on another line with its own set of pros and cons. I would prefer the Princess cruise, but my attitude is slowly evolving to one of "they'll either make good on the price or we won't book it." Or basically that they shouldn't advertise something and then claim that they can't find that price despite the screen capture.

Likely there is some sort of promotional code that autofills into your self-booking when you are logged into the website with your Circle number. Which should pop up in the TA's system as well (as long as they have your correct Circle number) but appears to not have done so. I don't see why your TA could not just complete the booking and then have internal support at Princess plug that code in to refare. The issue may be that subsequently all cabins in that letter category may have sold out in the interim (as your HC cabin is technically unavailable due to TA hold). But still no reason for Princess to not have the IT capability to find the original price displayed and just work it backwards into your hold, or after the TA completes the booking as shown.

You can book online without a deposit (for a hold) and then call a TA to complete the booking. Or you can go ahead and put down the deposit and then transfer to a TA - as long as it is before final payment.

When you see a price online, the only way to guarantee you get that price is to book it immediately. The same price may not be available an hour later when a TA is trying to book it for you. Cruise prices - like airline prices and hotel prices - are constantly changing. Princess is under no obligation to honor a price that used to be available online if they have changed the prices since then.

I doubt that you will find any other cruise line or airline or hotel that would honor a price they had posted earlier online after they have changed the price.

I totally understand that they are not obligated to honor it. I'm irritated that the system didn't work as I thought it would--that TA couldn't grab the same price I could, even with the screen cap as proof. Tomorrow might be interesting.

Bottom line--on another cruise line, we have 30 cruises and I know all the ins and outs of booking. We have only a handful of Princess cruises and Princess has a lot more "tricks" for me to learn.

Thanks for the info that I could have done a hold on my own. I'll know that for next time!

I totally understand that they are not obligated to honor it. I'm irritated that the system didn't work as I thought it would--that TA couldn't grab the same price I could' date=' even with the screen cap as proof. Tomorrow might be interesting.

Bottom line--on another cruise line, we have 30 cruises and I know all the ins and outs of booking. We have only a handful of Princess cruises and Princess has a lot more "tricks" for me to learn.

Thanks for the info that I could have done a hold on my own. I'll know that for next time![/quote']

Hi, Moki'sMommy! Princess cruise site is very easy to use. As above have said, in the future book your own cabin with a hold at the price you wanted and then transfer to TA or continue to handle on your own. I have found that handling my own bookings with Princess is very easy and when prices go down I immediately call directly and can refare easily. They have also helped me get some freebies I wasn't aware of. If you do go ahead and book a Princess cruise, keep looking at site for the pricing of your cruise for further price decreases. I have literally gotten a good price drop by doing this, several times, the new lower price being available for only literally a few hours before going back to higher price! This is so unlike DCL!!!!!

Pooh

Hi, Moki'sMommy! Princess cruise site is very easy to use. As above have said, in the future book your own cabin with a hold at the price you wanted and then transfer to TA or continue to handle on your own. I have found that handling my own bookings with Princess is very easy and when prices go down I immediately call directly and can refare easily. They have also helped me get some freebies I wasn't aware of. If you do go ahead and book a Princess cruise, keep looking at site for the pricing of your cruise for further price decreases. I have literally gotten a good price drop by doing this, several times, the new lower price being available for only literally a few hours before going back to higher price! This is so unlike DCL!!!!!

Pooh

Thanks! Yes, I'm quite the DCL expert, but I'm just learning Princess. Now I just wish my young adults would decide which of the two cruises they prefer so we can get on with finalizing a booking. And I have DCL all figured out on this--if I book now, they will come out with a VGT rate in 2 days. :-)

Edited by moki'smommy