Flu Season Questions

JHUNTGOLF

With flu season being so bad in the U.S. this year, does anyone know whether Celebrity is taking any special precautions on its ships? I’ve been on ships in the past where they had staff serve the food and drinks and even took salt and pepper shakers off the tables.

John

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With flu season being so bad in the U.S. this year, does anyone know whether Celebrity is taking any special precautions on its ships? I’ve been on ships in the past where they had staff serve the food and drinks and even took salt and pepper shakers off the tables.

John

I've only seen that done as norovirus precautions.

None of that is effective against droplet spread viruses like the flu. Those measures are done to reduce transmission of contact type spread, like norovirus.

There's not much the staff can do , aside from monitoring staff and passengers for obvious signs of illness. They certainly can't require everyone to go around wearing N95 respirators.

Just follow the CDC recommendations: ://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm

None of that is effective against droplet spread viruses like the flu. Those measures are done to reduce transmission of contact type spread, like norovirus.

There's not much the staff can do , aside from monitoring staff and passengers for obvious signs of illness. They certainly can't require everyone to go around wearing N95 respirators.

Just follow the CDC recommendations: ://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm

I heard on the news that you can get it by breathing!

John

Just got off a two week cruise on the Eclipse- I have never seen so many sick people. I went to the infirmary one morning to see if I could purchase medication I had forgotten at home (nothing to do with the flu), about 50 people were inside and directly outside the infirmary coughing, sneezing and really looking ill. We never experienced this before!

We had the flu shot- which I am told wasn't very effective this year, who knows if those ill people did. Speak to your physician as what to take if you get sick. I would strongly suggest that people bring antibiotics with them-and cough medication in case they develop an infection. The theatre was a sea of coughing and we didn't stay for the shows either. So much for the questionare we fill out prior to boarding stating we aren't sick. Needless to say- today I am sick- I have some kind of URI and will be going to the MD . We did wash our hands and use sanitizer constantly, but being in such confined quarters and an airplane- just so much you can protect yourself.

Just got of Millennium. a lot of sick passengers and staff. My DH got the flu three days before the cruise end. Very nasty . Not a lot can be done as it is spread by droplets I.e talking/coughing/sneezing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best thing to do is get the flu vaccine before you go. They are not 100% effective but will normally reduce symptoms if they don’t prevent them completely.

There is a big difference between flu and a cough/cold. Most of the time if you feel up to getting out of bed and going to the Med centre you haven’t got flu!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many of the people appeared to have the flu based on their symptoms and appearance However I am not a physician-Yes agree get the flu shot and seniors should have the pneumonia immunization also. Usually it is difficult to find chairs near the pool on sea days- not on the last eclipse cruise

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

If you sanitize/wash your hands on the way into the buffet, do you sanitize them after you've sat down and pulled the chair up to the table? Think how many people touched the serving ladles before you did. How often does the lower edge of the chair seat that you grab to pull the chair in get cleaned and how many people have touched it? How about that guy who exited the bathroom stall after a nature call and left without washing his hands and went right into the buffet or MDR. Think about that as you grab your roll to butter it.

If you sanitize/wash your hands on the way into the MDR, do you sanitize them after you've sat down, pulled the chair up to the table, handled the menu, or touched the salt and pepper shakers? How often do the servers wash their hands?

Overkill? Maybe. Having grown up in the pre-vaccine polio era, we were taught to wash our hands frequently. It's served us well.

When we were on a ship that had had a noro outbreak on the previous cruise I suggested to my husband that (in addition to washing, washing, washing, etc.) that we eat everything with utensils for exactly the reasons listed above....all the things you could have come into contact with after washing your hands. Knock on wood; we didn't get sick.

I heard on the news that you can get it by breathing!

Well, yes, that's how droplet spread infections are transmitted. The infected person coughs, or sneezes, or just breathes out, releasing virus laden droplets into the air. These droplets then land on your nose or mouth, or you breathe them in. Bam - you've been exposed. The less common form of transmission of the flu is by contact. While it is possible to get the flu by touching contaminated objects, it is not as likely to cause it.

Influenza is airborne...that's why it's so contagious. Removing salt/pepper shakers won't make a difference. Someone with the virus coughs or sneezes, and if you're in the area, you will pick up the virus. Whether or not your immune system will suppress it is up to your body!

Have experienced flu and bronchitis at sea more than once and its no fun. Now I always pack a variety of otc meds. Plus got my MD to prescribe a "just in case" Z-pack, inhaler and strong cough medicine.

Tamiflu is what you need for the flu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yes, that's how droplet spread infections are transmitted. The infected person coughs, or sneezes, or just breathes out, releasing virus laden droplets into the air. These droplets then land on your nose or mouth, or you breathe them in. Bam - you've been exposed. The less common form of transmission of the flu is by contact. While it is possible to get the flu by touching contaminated objects, it is not as likely to cause it.

Don't forget the eyes!

A doctor friend says to close your eyes and mouth as soon as you see or hear someone sneeze in close proximity. He says that surprisingly, a lot of the germs enter through the eyes. I may look like an idiot, but have gotten really good about walking around with my eyes closed, mouth shut, and not breathing! :D

I could never understand how players in the NBA are out only one day or claim to be playing with the flu. It is like they don’t have any respect for the other players or the spectators as it is contagious, and why is it allowed?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Influenza is airborne...that's why it's so contagious. Removing salt/pepper shakers won't make a difference. Someone with the virus coughs or sneezes, and if you're in the area, you will pick up the virus. Whether or not your immune system will suppress it is up to your body!

It is also spread by contact and can live on surfaces for up to 24 hours. Thus, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

I agree with the above posters. Please know that antibiotics will have NO effect on the flu! The flu is a virus, not bacteria (which antibiotics treat). Definitely pack and use hand sanitizer, keep your hands from your face, obey the 3-foot rule and bring OTC medications that will relieve some symptoms.

As for salt and pepper shakers, carry tissues to pick them up, or spray them with hand sanitizer before using. Also in the buffet, use hand sanitizer AFTER getting your food and BEFORE you eat. Hope this helps.