Driver's License & Birth Certificate

JPV072900

Can anyone tell me if they've had any problems using their driver's license and birth certificate to get onboard??

I know there are new enhanced driver's licenses, and I am wondering if you have to have an enhanced license in order to board the ship.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if they've had any problems using their driver's license and birth certificate to get onboard??

I know there are new enhanced driver's licenses, and I am wondering if you have to have an enhanced license in order to board the ship.

Thanks

My wife and I always use these documents. No enhanced DL in Ohio

I figured that'd be enough, but the "enhanced driver's license" scared me! I checked again and if I reread it, then I would have answered my own question!!!

However, my son turns 16 during this cruise, so I think I should get him a government ID just in case!!

Sent from my LGL33L using Forums mobile app

Does the birth certificate have to be an original with the raised seal?

It has to be a certified BC, whatever that means in the locality what handles the particular BC. Some don't do a raised seal anymore.

Raised seals are the old fashioned way of proving it is real. Todays documents use multiple ways, such as water marks, and other security measures to indicate it is real. As long as it is government issued, it is what you need.

It has to be a certified BC, whatever that means in the locality what handles the particular BC. Some don't do a raised seal anymore.

Raised seals are the old fashioned way of proving it is real. Todays documents use multiple ways, such as water marks, and other security measures to indicate it is real. As long as it is government issued, it is what you need.

Thanks, the person that might need it was born back in the day of raised seals:)

It has to be a copy issued by a govt agency. Many states no longer use the raised seal. It will be a copy because original birth certificates are kept in permanent archives.

In practice, you don't need anything to re-board the ship, at least in Nassau. In October our adult kids had all their ID stolen while at the Atlantis. We were on the ship and they called us via cel (another reason to have WiFi calling) so we meet them at the gangway just in case. It wasn't an issue they let them back on the ship with just a few questions and checking the on file photos. It wasn't much of an issue with CBP at Pt Canaveral either.

Today, California DMV started issuing the Enhanced DL's, which will be mandatory to fly with in 2020 if you don't have a passport or another type of Enhanced ID document.

My dad and I went on a closed loop cruise last year out of Port Everglades on HAL. His passport expired so he brought his original birth certificate and enhanced driver's license. They had like 3 people look at the birth certificate because it didn't have a raised seal, but they eventually let us board. After that trip he got a new passport and he had to get a certified copy of his birth certificate from New York that had a raised seal before he applied.

In practice, you don't need anything to re-board the ship, at least in Nassau. In October our adult kids had all their ID stolen while at the Atlantis. We were on the ship and they called us via cel (another reason to have WiFi calling) so we meet them at the gangway just in case. It wasn't an issue they let them back on the ship with just a few questions and checking the on file photos. It wasn't much of an issue with CBP at Pt Canaveral either.

Today, California DMV started issuing the Enhanced DL's, which will be mandatory to fly with in 2020 if you don't have a passport or another type of Enhanced ID document.

Think you are talking about 2 different things. An Enhanced Drivers Licence, which I have, is issued by several boarder states to cross back/forth from US and Canada/Mexico. Also In place of Passport it can also be used by cruisers to take an Open Circuit cruise that starts in one USA city ending in another. The Real ID is what all states must have, Drivers Licence, originally by 2006, being delayed for yrs, now might be 2020. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act..

My original BC has a raised seal. Now I feel really old. Fortunately I only travel with my passport, no need for the BC. That being said I have a couple friends who don't have a passport and they have no problems using their BC and DL.

Think you are talking about 2 different things. An Enhanced Drivers Licence, which I have, is issued by several boarder states to cross back/forth from US and Canada/Mexico. Also In place of Passport it can also be used by cruisers to take an Open Circuit cruise that starts in one USA city ending in another. The Real ID is what all states must have, Drivers Licence, originally by 2006, being delayed for yrs, now might be 2020. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act..

Sorry, I may have mixed up the terms. But if you read the CBP www site Enhanced can only be used for Closed Loop cruises. It seems the big difference between Enhanced and Real is Enhanced is proof of US citizenship and Real ID isn't.

Thanks

That is fine.