Select Dining Package

Enable

Hi as I am new to cruise critic, we have booked select dining, our travel agent said, when on board inform Celebrity,we do not wish to pay gratuities.

However on the Celebrity Cruise site they state that gratuities must be paid if choosing this type of dining, does anyone know if this is true, or jut a ploy for you to get you to pay gratuities

Thanking you for any assistance

The grats, if not "prepaid" will be added to your account daily. They cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiter for all meals.

Cab thankinging you for your reply

Enable

You may want to ask this in the Celebrity section to get better info.

I do not understand why you would want to eliminate gratuities. They go to the people who work very hard to make your cruise wonderful

Paul thanking you for your reply

Enable, sometimes people on cruises prefer to pay gratuities and tips individually to cabin stewards, wait staff, and others in the service portion of the crew. This is fine with the normal dining, as you have the same wait staff the entire cruise. However, with select dining, you can, and probably will, have different wait staff for each meal. When dining this way it's difficult to pay gratuities at the end of the cruise to everyone who was part of your wait staff, as there are so many different people. Prepaying your gratuities, or having them added to your cabin each day, allows the cruise line to feel comfortable their crew will receive the tips/gratuities they should since they'll work hard to make your cruise enjoyable.

For Europeans buying a cruise in Europe there is no option - gratuities are included in the price of the cruise and paid up front - at the end this is also how it should be - cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiters are paid by the gratuities.

It's hard for me to understand why it's paid separately, when added to the cruise account daily anyway - and considered mandatory!

Hi as I am new to cruise critic, we have booked select dining, our travel agent said, when on board inform Celebrity,we do not wish to pay gratuities.

However on the Celebrity Cruise site they state that gratuities must be paid if choosing this type of dining, does anyone know if this is true, or jut a ploy for you to get you to pay gratuities

Thanking you for any assistance

I am a regular on the Celebrity board and have sailed them for 25 years. The prepay of gratuities was Celebrity policy until a couple of years ago but has been eliminated. Your gratuities will be taken out on a daily basis and put on your account. I certainly hope you are not going to remove them and not pay tips. The people on board will know, they work very hard for you and that would be very cheap.

Edited by dkjretired

Enable, sometimes people on cruises prefer to pay gratuities and tips individually to cabin stewards, wait staff, and others in the service portion of the crew. This is fine with the normal dining, as you have the same wait staff the entire cruise. However, with select dining, you can, and probably will, have different wait staff for each meal. When dining this way it's difficult to pay gratuities at the end of the cruise to everyone who was part of your wait staff, as there are so many different people. Prepaying your gratuities, or having them added to your cabin each day, allows the cruise line to feel comfortable their crew will receive the tips/gratuities they should since they'll work hard to make your cruise enjoyable.

Nilbog

Thanking you for the advice you sent me; much appreciated

Enable