Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

Ok obviously I've never been on a cruise before (booked a shorty in Dec) but what do you do with your SeaPass if you are in your swimsuit by the pool? Is it plastic, can it get wet w/o wrecking it? Most of my swimsuit coverups don't have pockets, I certainly don't want to tote around a purse with my wallet and stuff in it (or do I?)

Off ship in ports isn't a problem as I will just do what I normally do, take money, card, pass, etc in a small purse. It's the bizarre world of 'onboard' that I can't figure out. Probably the same reason I never went to a Club Med, because they are nothing like real life. I do have a waterproof diving pouch, maybe that's what I need to bring.

Edited by canadjineh

Ok obviously I've never been on a cruise before (booked a shorty in Dec) but what do you do with your SeaPass if you are in your swimsuit by the pool? Is it plastic, can it get wet w/o wrecking it? Most of my swimsuit coverups don't have pockets, I certainly don't want to tote around a purse with my wallet and stuff in it (or do I?)

Off ship in ports isn't a problem as I will just do what I normally do, take money, card, pass, etc in a small purse. It's the bizarre world of 'onboard' that I can't figure out. Probably the same reason I never went to a Club Med, because they are nothing like real life. I do have a waterproof diving pouch, maybe that's what I need to bring.

Your waterproof diving pouch sounds like a good choice especially if you also carry a cell phone. The lanyards they sell on board do have a plastic pouch, but not waterproof. I leave my seapass card in the lanyard pouch on my lounge chair in a small beach bag ,with my phone and sunblock in it.

I can't say for all lines, but RCI the cards are waterproof.

I have used the lanyard at the pool (convenient for trips to the bar :D ). A waterproof pouch, along with my phone. And pocket (guys have it easier), but worry about losing the card in the water.

I purchased this to use for those time that I don't have pockets to carry my sea pass card in. In port I will have a bag or purse so no need for it there but on ship I don't want to have to carry a purse around with me and many of my shorts don't have pockets for some reason.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hidden-Hollow-Beads-Angle-Shapes-Women-s-Chain-Fashion-Lanyard-Necklace-Jewelry-ID-Badge-and-Key-Holder-34-in/328345115

My sister and brother-in-law got a Carnival lanyard from their 1st cruise. I swiped it from my sister on my 1st cruise with her because she did not like being in charge of the room keys (yes, I'm the older sister, the "responsible" one). It is the "detachable" kind so you can take the keys off without taking the whole lanyard off. On the ship I wore it often, especially while sitting in Serenity's hot tubs (which we did a lot of). Didn't wear it to formal night dinner (keys went in clutch) nor off the ship (keys went in wristlet).

I like the lanyard. Not giving it back, either - it's mine now!

DH & I both have lanyards for work items (keys, passes, etc) and our ski passes always go on a lanyard, so it's no big deal for on the ship except of course at the dinners, and when we go onshore. Just like at work, we take our stuff off when we have to head out of the office/worksite. I picked up a cute little lanyard with palm trees on it from the dollar store, it should be good enough.

1040115656_20171027_154646(280x498).jpg.0653060fe7772a2a5069ecc5bea62029.jpg

I first used one when I went on the Def Leppard cruise- we HAD to have them on to attend any of the functions that were for the Def Leppard group only, as the cruise was only 1/2 chartered. Anyway- I found that it was so much easier than having to carry a purse with me everywhere that I have used it on the cruises I have gone on since. I do tuck it in mostly, but really- we are on vacation, so who cares if you look like a tourist, YOU ARE ONE! lol

• 1 month later...

I use a lanyard on the ship because I constantly loose things. Can't tell you how many times I left the cabin without my pass before I started using one. Most of the time it's under my shirt, and I take it off for pool time, etc. Having the lanyard on it makes it a lot easier to find in the bag when getting back on the ship after a port day.

My wife and I use lanyards. I am not at all concerned if it doesn't look "cool." It is convenient and that is important. It is so easy to tuck it under shirt or even attach it to a belt loop and keep the card in my pocket. Hardly noticeable and difficult to lose or forget. They would not make them if there was not a demand for them. I like the idea of the WOWbands. they are RFID bracelets (radio frequency Identification). We are going on the Oasis of the Seas in February of 2018, but to my knowledge they will not be available. Perhaps some women don't like them as they may detract from the bracelets that they usually wear, but for me, I would like to try them.

DH & I both have lanyards for work items (keys, passes, etc) and our ski passes always go on a lanyard, so it's no big deal for on the ship except of course at the dinners, and when we go onshore. Just like at work, we take our stuff off when we have to head out of the office/worksite. I picked up a cute little lanyard with palm trees on it from the dollar store, it should be good enough.

Okay, so we're back from the cruise, and I never did use the cute lanyard..... We both have wrist coil 'bracelets' with split rings on them and they were way handier. And no worries about waterproofness as the RCI passes were sturdier than the usual credit card. I'm not honestly sure I will ever go on another cruise as the Caribbean ones seem to be populated by denizens of Walmartpeople.com. Possibly we may do a European river cruise in the future (if any) simply because CULTURE. We did enjoy our ports but got away from the touristy areas and hired private 'taxis' to take us to locals beaches and pick us up later. We also met the lovely staff from the Bahamian Football Association (our souvenirs were a polo shirt and a beach towel from the 2017 beach football championships) and got their awesome recommendation for a tiny little hole in the wall lunch spot that was constantly busy with office folk doing take-out. OMG, cheap and fantastic traditional Bahamian food. And cheap drinks :cool:.

I'm not honestly sure I will ever go on another cruise as the Caribbean ones seem to be populated by denizens of Walmartpeople.com. Possibly we may do a European river cruise in the future (if any) simply because CULTURE.

Because this was your first cruise, you got to experience what it was like to live aboard a ship for a number of days. If the clientele was not to your liking, you could try a different cruise line - one that offers informational lecturers (not just sales and shopping talks), different cultural shore excursions, etc. I wouldn't give up cruising just yet; sometimes it takes a few different lines to find your comfort zone. I speak from personal experience.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks, ger_77. Hope I didn't sound too stuffy, lol. You are likely right.... unfortunately we have champagne tastes on a beer budget and we can do a better, more informative and adventurous vacation for a much better price than what you end up with on a cruise. We've done Japan, the Philippines, multiple European trips, Central America, multiple trips to Mexico (different destinations) for 3-4 weeks at a time for a similar cost of a 1 week cruise on the traditional cruise lines.... And we don't stay in hostels or eat at McDonalds, we do local family owned hotels and local recommendations for food and besides seeing the touristy things like going up the Eiffel tower, etc, we take recommendations on what they like to take visiting family to see.

Thanks, ger_77. Hope I didn't sound too stuffy, lol.

I didn't think you were stuffy (how many of us Canadians really are???), just expressing your concern over fellow passengers. You don't have to travel the high-priced cruise lines to get what you're looking for. We've cruised a few different lines until we found one that suited our interests - one that isn't a party till you barf ship; one that has something for the mind, rather than as I said, just shopping tips. Don't get me wrong, when I'm on land vacations, DH and I become mall rats - we both love to shop, but if we're going to Europe or Asia, we go to see the sights, experience the culture, and see things we've only read about. It seems whenever we do travel abroad, most of our shopping is done in the airport shops just before coming home!

I hope you find a cruise line that lets you bring home a pocket full of memories.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

... We also met the lovely staff from the Bahamian Football Association .... and got their awesome recommendation for a tiny little hole in the wall lunch spot that was constantly busy with office folk doing take-out. OMG, cheap and fantastic traditional Bahamian food. And cheap drinks :cool:.

Remember the name of the place or where it was? Always like a locals spot...

• 8 months later...
Remember the name of the place or where it was? Always like a locals spot...

Sorry, I didn't get any notice that there was a post on this thread....

Anyhow, here's the website of the Bahamas Soccer Association and it's just a block or so away, if you phone or drop in to the office I'm sure the gals can direct you. https://www.bahamasfa.com/index.html I really can't remember the name of it, definitely a TINY hole in the wall, only about 4 or 5 tables for 2.

I just got off the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the seas and wore my id on a laynard used in the hot tub and the card worked fine. Don’t worry about somebody using your card as your picture comes up when the employees swipe it. so it cannot be used by anyone else safe to leave on your lounge chair also.

I just got off the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the seas and wore my id on a laynard used in the hot tub and the card worked fine. Don’t worry about somebody using your card as your picture comes up when the employees swipe it. so it cannot be used by anyone else safe to leave on your lounge chair also.

Oh yea thats right they have pics attached to them. Totally forgot. I guess I will just get one for the days I don't carry by crossbody.

Unfortunately that only works when the crew are diligent and actually check the photo. On our last cruise DW & I had the others card when we returned to the ship. I noted DW's picture on the screen when I scanned in and nobody challenged me. Same situation for DW who was behind.