Optimal number of people for excursions?

cindivan

We are in the early stages of planning a PG cruise. There is a group of 6 most likely going, and there is some debate about whether to invite several other couples we know. The main question we have is if it’s gets more difficult to plan excursions with bigger groups? I haven’t done a ton of research yet, but it seems that some excursions are for small groups. And we will most likely do private tours.

Any suggestions/advice?

Also, we are wondering if it make a difference if we are in different room categories. And by that I mean if someone stays in a more expensive category will they have to choose between not taking advantage of extra perks because the rest of the group won’t have them, or using the perks but not being with the group.

Regardless of,the room category there really are not any extra perks. Reservations at the restaurants are available regardless of room category. Time frame to book an excursion in advance is also the same for all. I would not be concerned if your group is spread in various cabin categories.

Private excursions range in size. Pure snorkeling on Bora Bora which is a great half day snorkel takes 8 in their fast boat. They have a few boats but with more than 8 (they can squeeze in 10) your group would in separate boats. Most of snorkel excursions arranged by the ship are larger groups in the 20-40 range. If your cruise visits the Cook Islands than Teking snorkel excursion in Aitutaki is great. They also have multiple boats which each take about 8 or 10. Again, the ship sponsored excursion in Aitutaki probably takes 40.

IMHO the downside to the larger groups for a snorkel excursion is that it takes a very long time to get 40 people on and off the boat. For this reason the smaller boats tend to make more stops for snorkeling. Also, some of the smaller boats, like the ones used by Pure Snorkeling are wicked fast. They can get to more of the lagoon and are small enough to access some pristine reefs that the larger boats cannot.

You just have to make a simple rule for your group: everyone does what they want and no one should feel obligated to go with the "group". I did this with a small group(8) once and it worked out just fine. No one complained or felt pressed upon.

Thanks for the info flightmedic. 8 seems to be the magic number. I will probably be organizing the tours for everyone and it sounds like if we have more than 8 things get a bit more complicated.

Cruisedreamer I understand your point. Based on past experience cruising with our group the organization falls to me and rarely does anyone opt out. Well, one time someone’s husband was too hung over to join us on a tour we had set up in Barcelona. We had such a great day I think from then on between FOMO and less work with fun results I have become the unofficial travel agent when we vacation. So my fear would be 12 say yes and then we have an odd number for a boat of 8 or two boats etc. and I would be spending a lot of extra time trying to make it work. Do we try to find another couple? How do we split the cost if not, etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums