Sign and Sail cards

MWBearFan

I've been wondering since you retrieve your sign and sail card at your mail box at your cabin, how secure is this? What's to keep people from taking your sign and sail cards from your mail box? Just wondering

The card would be of no use to anyone else, they couldn’t use it for charging, as your photo pops up everything it is swiped, if it’s not you using it they will know immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Sail & Sign cards are in a sealed envelope. If it appears to have been tampered with, take it to the front desk and they will make a new one. EM

But by then the "tamperer" will have gained access to your cabin. What if you are one of the rare few whose luggage beat you to your room? I could image entering to be greeted by suitcases opened and rifled through. And doesn't RCI (I presume the cruiseline in question here) leave water and snacks in the cabin for your paid consumption? I'm sure they would hold you liable if they disappeared due to your failure to immediately run to your cabin upon embarkation to retrieve your cards.

That's strange...on Princess and I believe Celebrity we are given our cards at check-in. How do you get through security to get onboard without your card? How do they link your photo to your card? How do you get a drink before going to your cabin, a noticeable problem if cabins aren't ready at check-in time.

In spite of these comments, most people have better things to do when first getting onboard than walking up and down halls, risking stealing a card out of a mailbox and trying doors to see if maybe there's something of value inside. Anything of value should always be in your carry-on luggage, not in your checked luggage that might (but probably won't, especially if you can't stop for a drink!) get to your room before you. And, most ships have cameras that can view hallways. I wouldn't like this system, but wouldn't particularly worry about it.

Carnival has instituted this process at some departure ports. It speeds up check-in as your payment is already on the card. I personally agree with the OP, it doesn't seem secure to me at all. Plus what if you're wanting a bar beverage how do you pay if cabins aren't available and you don't have access to your sail and sign card?

Carnival has instituted this process at some departure ports. It speeds up check-in as your payment is already on the card. I personally agree with the OP, it doesn't seem secure to me at all. Plus what if you're wanting a bar beverage how do you pay if cabins aren't available and you don't have access to your sail and sign card?

Your boarding pass has your barcode on it and you use it to purchase drinks until you get to your cabin. As you haven't been to your cabin to leave anything there yet. This is one step being tried to prevent people without priority privileges going to their cabins before the announced time. The cards in question are not in the box by the cabin until the announced time. So far it is working very well. EM

But by then the "tamperer" will have gained access to your cabin. What if you are one of the rare few whose luggage beat you to your room? I could image entering to be greeted by suitcases opened and rifled through. And doesn't RCI (I presume the cruiseline in question here) leave water and snacks in the cabin for your paid consumption? I'm sure they would hold you liable if they disappeared due to your failure to immediately run to your cabin upon embarkation to retrieve your cards.

Luggage has always been left out in the hallway. This is on Carnival, since I've not sailed Royal yet I don't know their procedure. Carnival does not have any items for sale in the cabin except for gianormous bottles of water. I have used this procedure once and it did save a lot of time at check in when coupled with the other changes that Carnival made (assigned check in time windows, using passport photos for the sail and sign card account, answering the health questions verbally and check in staff using tablets at the door, plus having the sail and sign card at the cabin). The other benefit of this is that the sail and sign cards aren't available at the cabin until the cabin is ready for the passenger, so this cuts down drastically on the number of people going to the cabins before they are ready and getting in the staff's way.

This has been in place for quite some time and I've not read any threads relating to this being a concern at all. As I understand it if someone has an issue (the tamper resistant envelope has been tampered with or the card is missing) Guest Services has a special line to handle the issue. Using your boarding pass to pay for a drink or two is not onerous at all, either.

Royal does this at a couple of ports.

You have to print out a paper page for each person that gets them onboard and allows them to use their drink package or buy drinks until the cabins are open.

Bags come later anyway and left in the hallway on most ships. So if you leave you bag unlocked someone could go through it.