Languages onboard

Iriel

Hello, everyone! I'm so loving this website! :D

I'm cruising for the first time on May 11 (Jewel of the Seas) from Civitavecchia. I'm cruising with my parents and we are from Argentina. I understand English (I'm a translator) but they don't, so I'm worried about them missing out on entertainment or activities. My parents are not newbies, they did a Costa cruise to Brazil a few years ago, but I'm a worrier, and since I chose the cruise I would feel awful if they didn't have a great time.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Language is primarily English. Depending on the number of non-English speaking guests announcements might be made in other language like Spanish and German. But entertainment will be in English. I’m non-English speaking myself. I find the production shows good and if any other Caribbean Singers and Dancers shows but NOT any comedians or show where you need to have a good understanding of English language.

Some time I sense that the American cruise line tend to forget that not everyone does speak perfect English - most times also speaking very fast.

My advise will be only see shows with primarily Dance and Singing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not sailed Royal Caribbean, but based on my experiences on several other lines, they will be able to get the menu in different languages, and the daily program will also be available in several languages. EM

I only speak English. Okay, I can say thanks, please, 1 beer, where is the toilet, etc, in multiple languages but that's it.

Have been on 2 European cruises and multiple Caribbean cruises.

As Hallasm said, on American based cruise lines like Royal, Carnival, Celebrity and such, English is spoken in most instances. If there is a large group who's primary language is Spanish let's say, then the ship will make major announcements in multiple languages.

Since you are sailing from Rome, you parents should be in a more comfortable position. I believe you will be able to order excursions in their primary language.

Either way, have fun with it.

I just got off the Brilliance and there was a mother/daughter team sailing together, Daughter spoke English. Mother was from Ukraine and only spoke Russian. We all had a lot of fun together.

Hint: Download Google Translate on your smart phones. In one mode, you can hold your camera over words on a menu and the picture will translate to your language.

I have not sailed Royal Caribbean, but based on my experiences on several other lines, they will be able to get the menu in different languages, and the daily program will also be available in several languages. EM

As will important announcements. But the predominant language spoken on board and in the shows will be English. Many of the crew will be multi-lingual however and those fluent in Spanish will be relatively easy to find.

We did a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Civitivecchia and English was the language on board. Activities such as trivia, bingo and the like was done in English. During the muster drill, they did that in Spanish, German, Russian, Mandarin, Arabic, French and Italian. They also said that major announcements would be in other languages if there was a high number of guests who were non-English speakers. On our cruise there were quite a few of French and Russian speakers, so we tended to hear more of those languages. All entertainment was in English.

You may want to call your cruise lines to find out which language(s) are spoken on board

Very much vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing, depending on the nationality of guests - probably a Captain decision

Your parents should not have a problem finding Spanish speakers on board. Italian shouldn't be terribly difficult for them, either. Accents might get in the way, but that can be overcome with patience and a sense of humor. (I speak Mexican Spanish, and was completely lost when trying to talk to people in Argentina. They understood me, I had a hard time understanding them.)

Your parents should not have a problem finding Spanish speakers on board. Italian shouldn't be terribly difficult for them' date=' either. Accents might get in the way, but that can be overcome with patience and a sense of humor. (I speak Mexican Spanish, and was completely lost when trying to talk to people in Argentina. They understood me, I had a hard time understanding them.)[/quote']

That's great! I'm actually less anxious now. Also, I can imagine the problems you had, Argentinian accent is particular indeed :')

Lets try and be very honest with your situation. You are doing a Civitavecchia to Civitavecchia cruise on an American cruise line that primarily caters to English speaking folks. All entertainment onboard will be in English. If there are enough Spanish speaking on your cruise they may (we emphasize may) do announcements in multiple languages...but the norm on this type of cruise would be to do on English announcements. RCI will add other languages (for announcements) if they have large groups from countries with a different language.

Menus in the Main Dining Room (MDR) will be available in Spanish as will the daily schedules. Some of the crew will be fluent in Spanish but many more will not speak that language. As to Italian speakers, our experience on RCI cruises in Europe is that they attract some Italians, but its not the norm. RCI is widely known as an English speaking cruise line and Europeans book accordingly.

As to activities, if they involve talking it will be done primarily in English. Your parents will likely find some other Spanish speaking passengers but this will be the exception..not the norm. It is very likely that there will be some members of the Cruise Director's Staff (activities) that are fluent in Spanish who can certainly help your parents. The Guest Relations (main desk) will also have some folks who are fluent in Spanish. But to a great degree they will be Spanish speaking passengers cruising on an English speaking ship. That is the way it is.. If you get a cooperative cruise director he/she might organize a Spanish Speaking get together during the first sea day (you should certainly seek out the cruise director or staff and make this request.

Hank

my parents and my friends parents don't speak English, yet, they enjoyed cruising and don't miss a thing.

Now, my parents only went on one cruise last year, and loved every minute of it.

My friends' parents go on cruises 2-3 times a year (my friend pays for them) and don't speak a word of English. Neither do they speak Spanish.

my parents and my friends parents don't speak English, yet, they enjoyed cruising and don't miss a thing.

Now, my parents only went on one cruise last year, and loved every minute of it.

My friends' parents go on cruises 2-3 times a year (my friend pays for them) and don't speak a word of English. Neither do they speak Spanish.

That's great! It's a huge relief :halo:

Thank you, everyone, really! This forum is amazing :)