Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

Thank u for voicing this as I feel the exact same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

You are wrong. Other cruise lines have the same set ups. I'll never see the inside of a pent house cabin, but I say more power to the people who can afford them. The vast majority of people in this world will never set foot on a cruise ship. To them the occupants of the lowest inside cabin are the rich and famous. Consider that before turning green with envy.

Despite the fact that we are in Aqua Class for our cruise (only because it was a good deal) in July, I didn't like the idea of a "class system" when it was first introduced years ago and have mixed feelings about it now. RCI is doing the same thing with the "Coastal Kitchen" restaurant for suite guests. Yet, could not one say if some are willing to pay for those extra perks it doesn't really affect the cruise experience for the rest of us?

Edited by ricka47

Despite the fact that we are in Aqua Class for our cruise (only because it was a good deal) in July, I didn't like the idea of a "class system" when it was first introduced years ago and have mixed feelings about it now. RCI is doing the same thing with the "Coastal Kitchen" restaurant for suite guests. Could not one say if some are willing to pay for those extra perks it doesn't really affect the cruise experience for the rest of us?

It does affect the rest of us if changes occur retrospectively to allocate space for those in certain classes (Luminae and Michaels Club on S class for instance) however I understand why cruise lines are doing this and where it is specifically planned during the design stage then I think this minimises the impact on those not eligible to access those areas. Just off Oasis and all Suite areas are on deck 17 where other passengers don't go to so didn't really notice it. Think the new Edge class will be similar along with The Haven, Yacht Club etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By virtue of the fact that there are various and differing cabins with corresponding 'Perks' for each is exactly that, a class system based on what each passenger is willing to pay.

It matters not, at least to me, if that means exclusive dining venues for these passengers (to wit Luminae and Blu) or embarkation/dis-embarkation status.... just as long as my sailing is great and service is good.

Does one choose not to fly on many airlines because of the class system inherent there? I dare say not too often. The major complaints there include not getting the same 'perks' for paying the lowest fares which do not have them inclusive, just point A to point B transport or luggage out first or lounge access etc....

There are not too many, if any, ships which offer a 'one-class' system.

If X's class system is offensive, there are other options for sailing these days which are in reach for many who cruise today. Explore them and decide how offensive the class system really is or not.

bon voyage

There are a number of threads on this and it has become an emotional issue for some reason. In my view these differences are "spending categories" and not "classes". These amenities are actually available to all if they are willing to spend for them. The references made to the "upper classes" or the 'rich and famous" in these areas is a sweeping generalization. Some not so wealthy people save up and prefer to spend their money on a suite experience perhaps for a special occasion - but it is their money to do what they please. After 20 cruises if you can find another cruise line that does not have different spending categories and distinctions it is your choice to spend with them instead. It is unfortunate that you feel like an outcast on a cruise vacation. This seems to be a first world problem. Just please let us know which cruise line is fully egalitarian when you switch from Celebrity.

You are wrong. Other cruise lines have the same set ups. I'll never see the inside of a pent house cabin, but I say more power to the people who can afford them. The vast majority of people in this world will never set foot on a cruise ship. To them the occupants of the lowest inside cabin are the rich and famous. Consider that before turning green with envy.

Very well said. Sometimes also what is a perk to someone may not be a perk to others. An example of this is the saving of the first couple of rows in the theater. Last place in the theater I would want to sit, too loud and often you can't see everything going on.

There are a number of threads on this and it has become an emotional issue for some reason. In my view these differences are "spending categories" and not "classes". These amenities are actually available to all if they are willing to spend for them. The references made to the "upper classes" or the 'rich and famous" in these areas is a sweeping generalization. Some not so wealthy people save up and prefer to spend their money on a suite experience perhaps for a special occasion - but it is their money to do what they please. After 20 cruises if you can find another cruise line that does not have different spending categories and distinctions it is your choice to spend with them instead. It is unfortunate that you feel like an outcast on a cruise vacation. This seems to be a first world problem. Just please let us know which cruise line is fully egalitarian when you switch from Celebrity.

I couldn't have said it better. When we started cruising after a short hiatus we started in Sky Suites since they were most similar to Junior Suites on RCL ships. Then prices for Celebrity Suites were not much more on a daily cost basis and more perks were offered. The same then happened for Royal Suites and 1-2-3-GO was introduced offering more perks, making the additional expense "worth it". Reflection then introduced the Signature Suite and, at the same time, the Suite Life/Go Big, Go Better Go Best. We loved it - especially Michael's Club (which at the time was offered to all Suite guests except Sky Suites). We were disappointed when X expanded the MC perk to SS guests as we thought it would change the experience (not for the better) and added Luminae (same concern). We were disappointed because we felt the SS guests who paid significantly less than us were being offered the same amenities, but found instead that we were then offered complimentary everything (Unlimited Dining, Prem Bev. Package, Unlimited Internet). As Tee Rick says "you pay more, you get more". It's not surprising at all that X introduced The Retreat.

Those folks who book a more affordable category can't complain that those of us that are paying premiums are unfairly getting more than they are, or hope that "the upgrade fairy" will visit them and are disappointed when she doesn't. It's not classes, it's supply and demand - a free market enterprise.

I feel blessed just to have the opportunity to be on a ship with my DW and meeting wonderful fellow cruisers. Over the years I've been in Inside Cabins to Suites. The thing they have in common is that they are all on a ship. Haven't been in a Suite since becoming Zenith since I really don't need to pay for extra benefits like Michael's Club, Drink Package or Internet. Prefer Blu to Lumanae and haven't been in the pool in years. Obviously we all have different wants and needs and the ability to support them. All about personal choice. You can choose to be envious of others, or content with yourself. Whatever you choose be assured that in the current environment the ships will leave full and the bottom line will be healthy.

This is exactly the correct way to look at it. Good job putting this into perspective.

If I were denied the opportunity to pay for a penthouse suite because of my annual salary, that would be a class system. I didn't book a suite because 1) the retreat pool is fully exposed to the sun and I would never enjoy it on a cruise to a warm climate, 2) I am absolutely uncomfortable with the idea of a butler and would never use his/her services 3) while the additional room would be nice, I find we never spend much time in the cabin, 4) Luminae would be great, but Blu is special enough for us. So it becomes a cost v personal value equation. To me this is simply a spending choice. I prefer to spend my disposable income elsewhere. I do appreciate a design where I am not going to constantly run into places where I am turned away though. Failure to design things properly in that regard would be the demise of the ship.

I do find that some folks here post deliberately so they can boast about booking a suite. That's okay, I hope it is everything you hope it will be. However, do not make the mistake of assuming that those who book lesser status/costly cabins are less sophisticated or classy. I have found that sophistication and class are not synonymous with wealth.

Very well said. Sometimes also what is a perk to someone may not be a perk to others. An example of this is the saving of the first couple of rows in the theater. Last place in the theater I would want to sit, too loud and often you can't see everything going on.

Exactly. Spending an hour looking up. Plus you also becomes a target for the comedian or any other performer who is including the audience into his/her act.

Also, I have zero use for on board Internet. I don't use it nor do I want it.

I think it is much better to have a dedicated section of the ship for the suites, vs having various spots in and around other public areas that are off limits.

Keep them segregated and you will (would) never know they were there.

It all comes for a price. Some pay more and therefore should get more. Some us like to pay extra for exclusivity.

As long as food, service and entertainment does not suffer for those of us who choose to spend on a lower priced cabin, I am ok with the various classes. I usually choose Celebrity because of the itinerary and do explore every port.

It all comes for a price. Some pay more and therefore should get more. Some us like to pay extra for exclusivity.

I agree.

We would rather spend more time at sea than in a higher category and more expensive staterooms.

We live on a Celebrity ship for four months of the year. In a suite or higher "class" cabin we would have to give up three months of our oceanfront condo in exchange for a more expensive bed.

This is exactly the correct way to look at it. Good job putting this into perspective.

If I were denied the opportunity to pay for a penthouse suite because of my annual salary, that would be a class system. I didn't book a suite because 1) the retreat pool is fully exposed to the sun and I would never enjoy it on a cruise to a warm climate, 2) I am absolutely uncomfortable with the idea of a butler and would never use his/her services 3) while the additional room would be nice, I find we never spend much time in the cabin, 4) Luminae would be great, but Blu is special enough for us. So it becomes a cost v personal value equation. To me this is simply a spending choice. I prefer to spend my disposable income elsewhere. I do appreciate a design where I am not going to constantly run into places where I am turned away though. Failure to design things properly in that regard would be the demise of the ship.

I do find that some folks here post deliberately so they can boast about booking a suite. That's okay, I hope it is everything you hope it will be. However, do not make the mistake of assuming that those who book lesser status/costly cabins are less sophisticated or classy. I have found that sophistication and class are not synonymous with wealth.

Agree with just about everything you said. We are doing a suite on our cruise in Sept on the Equinox, it is a surprise for the wife as we usually start off with insides. Its a special anniversary present. Just want to try Luminae and Michaels club once. Our choice has nothing to do with money as many on this board know that I was blessed with a life changing win in Las Vegas. We just choose to do insides or maybe Aqua since we are rarely in our room. I am not jealous of anyone who does nothing but suites, good for them.

I agree.

We would rather spend more time at sea than in a higher category and more expensive staterooms.

We live on a Celebrity ship for four months of the year. In a suite or higher "class" cabin we would have to give up three months of our oceanfront condo in exchange for a more expensive bed.

I agree as well.

My parents go to Spain for 3 months. It cost them about the same price than for my 1 week on a suite on the Edge (s3). But the difference is my parents are retired (and have all the time in the world) and I have 2-3 weeks vacation a year.

We did inside, balcony, aqua.. First Suite next year on the Summit (we booked before every other sailing after us got chartered).

It's all a question of what matters.. My husband saw the retreat and said "wow, I want to try that". With Luminae and the extra space, was worth for us.

When we get to have more vacation time, we might scale back to do more. But our vacation is more a treat than a living arrangement.

I could care less about the perks, and special treatment that suite passengers get. If I cared, I'd shell out $10 to $14000.00 for a suite. I book a balcony because that's what I feel comfortable in. I never have been made to feel like a 2nd class citizen.If I want to spend more for a specialty restaurant, then it's my option. They have a pool. I have a pool. They have a restaurant. I have a restaurant, and my ports are exactly the same as theirs.

I feel blessed just to have the opportunity to be on a ship with my DW and meeting wonderful fellow cruisers. Over the years I've been in Inside Cabins to Suites. The thing they have in common is that they are all on a ship. Haven't been in a Suite since becoming Zenith since I really don't need to pay for extra benefits like Michael's Club, Drink Package or Internet. Prefer Blu to Lumanae and haven't been in the pool in years. Obviously we all have different wants and needs and the ability to support them. All about personal choice. You can choose to be envious of others, or content with yourself. Whatever you choose be assured that in the current environment the ships will leave full and the bottom line will be healthy.

I absolutely love your eloquent thoughts; my DH and I also prefer Blu to Luminae too! I work hard to be able to cruise and vacation the way I want. Delayed gratification is IMHO very satisfying. Different times in one's lives also share different needs and wants. Being happy for others is a choice, as are many other things that bring people together. I also learned to share in kindergarten and believe that making new friends and enjoying life with others is very, very special.

Edited by Lastdance

I agree that it is only a spending difference/choice. If you want to travel first class on an airplane you have a better passenger to WC ratio, you get different food, you get more to drink, your seat is more comfortable, your entertainment options more. If I choose to travel in coach and forgo these things that is my decision. I don't resent the people who want to pay more. And it does not affect my flight's getting me to the same destination as the ones in first class.

The argument that something is being taken away from the masses not in suites has not affected any of the cruises I have been on. I have cruised on NCL and not been in The Haven and not felt an impact on space or dining or entertainment options. Ditto MSC not staying in The Yacht Club and recently sailing on X and not being in a suite thus not having access to Michael's or Luminae. The officers and staff on X treat me the same whether I am staying in an inside cabin or a balcony which is as expensive as I'm likely to go. I could afford to cruise exclusively in suites. I choose not to because I'd rather use the same amount of money and cruise more often. Since either option is open to me then "class" has nothing to do with it.

I think the question to answer is - Do non-suite pax get good value for their money? If your answer is Yes, what does it matter if others pay more for a different value proposition? It's really no different than flying. I appreciate airlines that offer the choice of Basic Economy, Economy, Premium Economy, Business Class and First Class. Each offers a different value proposition and I get to choose the one that works best for me. Do I envy the people sitting up in First Class? Yep, but I realize that I made the decision not to pay for that privilege - it wasn't worth it to me.

If anyone is wrong, it is you. Those penthouse cabins are PRIVATE areas, not public areas. Only the occupant of that room can use it, while everyone else on board can use all public areas. If they can afford their luxury private suite stateroom, good for them. They deserve it for being successful in life. But, on this new ship, a large portion of several decks are reserved only for suite guests. These are areas where the majority of passengers are not allowed to enjoy. Most will be banned from ever entering those areas, clearly because they aren't rich enough.

This is indeed a case of class system, and not a case of irrational envy. More and more area is being taken away from the majority and given to the rich.