Sorting Through Various Cruises

ducklite

I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread. We have almost decided on Ponant's Le Lyrial for January of 2017. It's an Abercrombie & Kent charter, and they limit the number of passengers to 199, meaning 2 instead of 3 landing parties at each site. It has the added benefit of being a "photography" cruise, so I may learn a thing or two about my DSLR in the process.

It does cost more than the Ponant fare (by about $2kpp), but is still far less than Silversea or National Geographic, the other two lines we were considering, for a low and midships cabin. It's most-inclusive (house wines and liquors; premium are additional as is laundry and Internet).

But I haven't finished my research yet....

Wow! That sounds absolutely amazing. I hope we get to see some of your photographs when you return. If I had the time & money, I'd be taking this same cruise. Maybe in 15 years when I retire, if the stock market doesn't have a catastrophic crash before then :eek: :p

On a photography intensive cruise there will usually be a couple of experts on board who will teach seminars as well as assist with hands on photography. It's an extra layer of learning as opposed to just offering suggestions or assistance on the fly. Although I didn't take part I was in a cruise with a photography subset who had a couple of two hour sessions as well as guided tours in a couple of re ports which were aimed at getting unique photos.

There are also quite a few private companies who charter the ships specifically for photography workshop tours. I met these guys before one of my trips when they were boarding a different ship on same day.

http://khromagery.com/luminodyssey/

and a friend has travelled with these folks

http://chrisbray.net/photo_safaris_antarctica_south_georgia.php

On a photography intensive cruise there will usually be a couple of experts on board who will teach seminars as well as assist with hands on photography. It's an extra layer of learning as opposed to just offering suggestions or assistance on the fly. Although I didn't take part I was in a cruise with a photography subset who had a couple of two hour sessions as well as guided tours in a couple of re ports which were aimed at getting unique photos.

This. Richard Harker and Charley Wheatley are the photographers (I don't know them, but I don't know many:o). I put in a booking request for the 1/17/2017 cruise - why don't you come with us?:)

• 10 months later...

We considered L'Boreal, but after a poor experience on a "French" ship earlier this year, we lost interest.

I know this is a fairly old thread and I'm not sure if you're still around, but we were considering Ponant to Antarctica and South Georgia. What was your 'poor experience' on the French ship? Was it a Ponant one?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
I have not gone yet, but am booked for 2016. I made a comparison chart and found some compromises had to be made. I also got help from several tour companies who listed the possibilities.

The more luxurious ships are the larger ones. Some of the smaller ships were more expensive and the other small ones were very spartan.

We ended up choosing G Adventures Expedition. It is comfortable, and you can get a queen bed though you will pay more. However it has more than 100 passengers.

We are in a twin room with a window. There are good reports of lecturers and there is a resident photographer. The restaurant and lounge area have windows. Another feature is its mudroom which many of the ships do not have. As for laundry we will handwash and dry in our room. Apparently it is very dry there so things dry quickly. I cannot remember if the expedition has a laundry.

Some people will be kayaking which will give more shore time to the rest of us. They lend boots and give you parkas.

If you are interested you can find me on Trip Advisor (Nova Scotia forum), send me a message with your email and I will send the chart. You can edit it for your criteria as you continue your research.

tried to friend you.....will you send me your chart....ggchambers2@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a fairly old thread and I'm not sure if you're still around, but we were considering Ponant to Antarctica and South Georgia. What was your 'poor experience' on the French ship? Was it a Ponant one?

Thanks

No, Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia. So it's actually not flagged French and the corporate offices are in Seattle, but many of the officers and some crew are French, and about half of the passengers were.

• 6 months later...