What's it like Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal

BrnBrok

We were in a C1 on the Sky deck through the canal. We loved it. The FV balconies were more exposed but should be fine. During the afternoon of the canal transit, I went up to the public areas of the ship. I couldn't get back to our cabin fast enough. Too many people trying to get into too limited a space. Couldn't get close to the railing. Watching the locks open and close was so fascinating.

While I certainly would enjoy an aft balcony for the entire cruise, I am sort of neutral on it when you come to the Canal. Certainly impressive to see the gates close behind you and you do have a nice view of where you have been. This is where I am not no so keen on the aft balcony, all the narration you will hear will be with a forward looking perspective. So by the time you get see what the narration has described it may not be relevant or may not even be pertinent, almost like watching a poorly dubbed foreign monster movie. Perhaps the aft balcony would be a welcome retreat when you cross Gatun Lake which is generally a more quiet time when it comes to the narration.

• 3 months later...

I did this cruise (on honeymoon) in November 2015. We didn't have an aft cabin as our TA advised that a side one would be better for the canal. We loved the cruise. I feel sure it would still be great in an aft cabin. Gatan lake is (unexpectedly) stunning and an aft cabin would give great views of that, and you would, as has been said, you will still see the locks etc as you have gone through them. Enjoy :)

Someone recently posted a time lapse video of the transit, taken with a camera located on an aft balcony. Having done two full transits, all I could think was if all he saw was from that aft perspective, he missed 80% of what was there. One of the most impressive things to me is if you are doing a westbound transit, or even a partial of Gatun Locks, approaching the locks and seeing the 'steps' of the three locks, especially if there are ships in them. You don't see that from your aft position. Those who love their aft perspective are happy because they have no idea what they missed seeing. Unfortunately, Infinity doesn't have a wrap around promenade deck...EM

• 1 month later...

I know I'm a bit late in responding to this question, but for other readers:

We had an aft cabin on Infinity and it was HUGE, and I mean HUGE. I would grab one of those aft cabins anytime you see one available. As for going thru the canal, it would be a perfect choice. The canal transit is extremely hot and you can only be topside for a short period (my experience 3x now).