Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hello

I am wondering how early the taxis are available at Ashdod port. This is for the 2nd day after the ship has an overnight stay in the port. Would there be taxis at the ship as early as 6am or 6.15am? I have been searching online and cannot find any information on this so if there is anywhere to find the information please let me know also!

We are travelling at the end of September and this will be our first time visiting Israel so want to make the most of our short time there.

Many thanks in advance

Carol

How have recent events in Jerusalem impacted cruises? We have a reservation October 31,2017 and I'm afraid the ship won't go to Israel?

Israel is having a banner year in tourism, and we are seeing busses filled with tourists everywhere.

Things can flare up here at anytime, but also calm down as quickly. October is a ways off, and there is no predicting what the situation will be when you are here, but there is one guarantee - Israel takes great care to protect its visitors, and everything will be done to keep you safe. This might entail adjustments in your itinerary, but think of that as the opportunity to see places you might have missed otherwise :-).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you heard of a tour guide named Debra Nussbaum Stepen? There are a few people recommending her on Trip Advisor. She is apparently from LA and moved to Jerusalem in 2007. I am wanting to do a 1/2 day tour of Jerusalem including the Muchane Yehuda before my official one week long tour begins. Since you are a local, can you suggest anyone good who understands an English pallet? I'm thinking I might prefer a woman. I would like to try new foods in the souk, but don't want to go too far out there. I have a temperamental traveler's stomach and do not want to get sick.

Thank you for helping people on here!

... I am wanting to do a 1/2 day tour of Jerusalem including the Muchane Yehuda before my official one week long tour begins. Since you are a local, can you suggest anyone good who understands an English pallet? I'm thinking I might prefer a woman. I would like to try new foods in the souk, but don't want to go too far out there. I have a temperamental traveler's stomach and do not want to get sick.

Thank you for helping people on here!

It looks like Cruise Citic doesn't allow locals to recommend businesses, but I think it's OK for me to tell you that you can do an independent tasting tour of Machane Yehuda. You should be able to find information about it by googling. If you will be there early in the week, especially Sunday-Wednesday mornings when it's not too crowded, it's pretty easy to walk around on your own and talk to the vendors and enjoy some free nibbles. Most of the vendors in the shuk speak at least some English, and those who don't will simply ask someone nearby to translate, or a passerby will happily help out. If by 'English palate' you mean you don't like spicy food, just be sure to let people know that. But please be open to trying new things- the food here is wonderful!

Thank you for your helpful advice. I will be staying in Tel Aviv on the Mediterranean for two nights before meeting my group. I was planning on going to see the Muchane Yehuda as I said before, but I found out it is a 1 hour trip each way to get there. Do you think the markets in Tel Aviv or Jaffa offer a similar experience? I'm not looking for cheap clothes, bags, and souvenir type stuff, I want to experience the food and culture of the local people. I will be seeing all the main touristy sites with my group once they arrive. I love Italy for its old cobblestones and quaint buildings and cafes and know there is a lot of that sort of atmosphere to be found in Israel as well. I would like to keep my touring to 1/2 day or less. Is my time better served staying in Tel Aviv and possibly Jaffa, or is the long commute into Jerusalem worth the effort? Thank you again for your time!

No need at all to make the trip to Jerusalem, especially since you'll be visiting all the major sites with your group.

Carmel Market will definitely give you the experience you are looking for. It's much smaller than Machane Yehuda, but still offers plenty of food to sample, and local culture to soak in. (Note that the food vendors are mainly concentrated at the lower end of the market.)

The area around Shuk HaCarmel is fun to explore, or you can take a short walk to the Neve Tzedek neighborhood where winding streets are filled with cafes, galleries, and boutiques. As you approach Neve Tzedek you'll pass tree-lined Rothschild Blvd, which itself is a delightful place to walk and experience Tel Aviv life.

If you are feeling ambitious, from the Carmel Market walk two blocks to the sea, and stroll the promenade to Jaffa (be sure to walk all the way through the park to get to the promenade toward Jaffa, not just the sidewalk which runs alongside the bike lanes.). It's a leisurely 20 minute stroll to Jaffa, where you could spend hours exploring the twisty streets and stairways, discovering galleries, cafes, and museums.

And, of course, there's always the beach :-)

When we need a quick getaway, we often turn to Tel Aviv, where we spend a happy couple of hours walking the promenade or exploring Neve Tzedek, after filling our stomachs at the Carmel Market.

Edited by happy trailer

No need at all to make the trip to Jerusalem, especially since you'll be visiting all the major sites with your group.

Carmel Market will definitely give you the experience you are looking for. It's much smaller than Machane Yehuda, but still offers plenty of food to sample, and local culture to soak in. (Note that the food vendors are mainly concentrated at the lower end of the market.)

The area around Shuk HaCarmel is fun to explore, or you can take a short walk to the Neve Tzedek neighborhood where winding streets are filled with cafes, galleries, and boutiques. As you approach Neve Tzedek you'll pass tree-lined Rothschild Blvd, which itself is a delightful place to walk and experience Tel Aviv life.

If you are feeling ambitious, from the Carmel Market walk two blocks to the sea, and stroll the promenade to Jaffa (be sure to walk all the way through the park to get to the promenade toward Jaffa, not just the sidewalk which runs alongside the bike lanes.). It's a leisurely 20 minute stroll to Jaffa, where you could spend hours exploring the twisty streets and stairways, discovering galleries, cafes, and museums.

When we need a quick getaway, we often turn to Tel Aviv, where we spend a happy couple of hours walking the promenade or exploring Neve Tzedek, after filling our stomachs at the Carmel Market.

Well put!

Well put!

We do our best, don't we, Marian :D:halo:.

But still no thank you nor acknowledgement, even though she has been online since I posted, which is why I've been going longer and longer stretches without checking or responding on this thread.

(A little common courtesy goes a long way, CC'ers- and its absence is noted. So if you pose a question, and don't get an answer, or it takes a while to get one...)

I do appreciate your extremely helpful response Happy Trailer. Sorry I didn't meet your needs with an immediate gush of gratitude. I was going to come back when I was sitting at my desk and take notes, so I can remember the info on my trip.

I am sorry you are so disappointed in my lack of immediate correspondence. That was certainly not my intention. My Mother taught me well in the art of being grateful & writing thank yous, so again Iam sorry I hurt your feelings!

Many blessings to you for your informative and valuable advice!!!

..Reiterating my point.

Yup, that does it.

Marian- it's all yours.

BTW, sandinmyshoes: My feelings weren't hurt at all. You do realize that I started this thread to be helpful, and I put a great deal of thought, effort, and time into my responses. Being snarky to someone who happily volunteers to help you with your trip planning is surely not what your mother taught you. I know my mother taught me that a thank you given in a timely manner speaks to character. All you needed to do was to drop by with a super quick 'Thank you! I can't wait to take a closer look at your info!' My time is valuable, too.

Respond as you will, snarky or whatever. I won't be around to read it. Nine years of giving my time with a smile, even through trying times. You're not the first to have me shaking my head. But you are the last.

Peace to all.

• 3 weeks later...

@ happy trailer: I am planning a tour of Israel and Jordan next April, which starts in Tel Aviv and ends in Amman. In order to get the best air arrangements I'll need to get back from Amman to Tel Aviv. I can fly direct on Royal Jordanian, which is expensive but doable, or I can do a land transfer, which appears to take about the same time, but looks a bit dicey.

An advice you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go for Royal Jordanian if you can afford it. And message me when you get to Tel-Aviv, Free State of Tel-Aviv and I'll buy you a drink! We got great bars here

Thanks for the quick response. I'm leaning that way. Are you suggesting that the land transfer is unwise?

• 5 weeks later...

Any suggestions for a moderate hotel for 2 nights while we arrive in the beginning of November on the Constellation?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi--- we are 2 Catholic priests--- traveling on Celebrity Silhouette-- LAST MINUTE--- the Oct. 23rd cruise. Would love to join a Jerusalem Christian sites Tour--- either Oct. 29 or Oct. 30th. We won't take up too much room. We just signed on the cruise on Monday-- and are not finding success with the preferred touring companies. Can you help? My personal email is tombaddick@aol.com.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'd be happy to answer questions you have about Israel and visiting Israel. (I'm not a travel agent nor am I associated with any agent, I'm just a smiling resident happy to help out.)

I moved to Israel from New Jersey almost 10 years ago, and live in a Jerusalem suburb. [i'm about to take my first cruise- to the Mexican Riviera :-).]

I'll try to check this board a couple of times a week, and while I'm sure I don't have the answers to all your questions, I'll be happy to answer those I can.

Israel is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you're going to love every moment of it!

Hi,

We are planning our first trip to Israel, for early next October (2018). DH has dreamed of this trip for a very long time :)

Our travel agent suggests using Travex for an arranged tour for several days in the middle of our stay. He says they are better than some of the other tour companies specifically for Israel. Is that your understanding, or do you have other recommendations? This would be for a private tour for a few days.

Thanks!

GC

Hi,

We are planning our first trip to Israel, for early next October (2018). DH has dreamed of this trip for a very long time :)

Our travel agent suggests using Travex for an arranged tour for several days in the middle of our stay. He says they are better than some of the other tour companies specifically for Israel. Is that your understanding, or do you have other recommendations? This would be for a private tour for a few days.

Thanks!

GC

I suggest you to use the Israel Forum in TripAdvisor and contact a local Israeli tour guide. It will be surely cheaper and better.

Hi,

Thanks!

GC

Hi

We were on a cruise that visited Israel for 3 days earlier this month. We contacted a private guide for 2 out of our 3 days and were sorry we did not use him for the 3rd day as he was such a wonderful guide. His name is Jeremy Collins (JerusalemwithJeremy) and he has over 400 reviews on tripadvisor that are all excellent. We were a group of 8 so not sure if you mean a small group or just the two of you when you say private tour. Jeremy organised a driver for our tours so this does put up the price but divided between 6 - 8 people it was great value.

Jeremy moved from the UK to Israel over 10 years ago and I cannot recommend him highly enough. He is extremely knowledgeable on all aspects of Israel and will give you an unbiased view on the religious, political and social history in addition to so much information on the places you will visit. Everyone in our group was delighted with Jeremy and our time with him flew by while he answered our many questions and talked about Israel!

Below is the link to tripadvisor if you are interested and I hope you have a fantastic trip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293983-d6649181-Reviews-Jerusalem_With_Jeremy-Jerusalem_Jerusalem_District.html

cleardot.gif