Questions about Mariner

"Maybe Regent should have lowered some of their price points on the unrefurbished as promised Mariner until they could deliver their usual product. Most of this discussion would not be taking place if Regent would keep on top of ongoing upkeep issues."

Agree!!!

I also agree but only if Regent stated that the suites were not as up to date as the other ships. Must say, though, that our 25 night Amazon cruise is an amazing bargain and the cruise before ours (we have friends on that cruise) may be the least expensive cruise that I've seen in years (likely equal to a Caribbean cruise that went to Cuba that a poster still complained about -- even at the bargain basement price point). Unfortunately, some people will complain no matter what the ship is like.

I will say that Dennis felt that the Mariner was in worse shape than I did. Again, it is perception and whether you are looking at the glass as being half full or half empty. While I can certainly agree that the Mariner (the ship only) isn't up to Regent standards, I do believe that you can have a great cruise on her - especially if you know what to expect. Unfortunately, some posters have a history of focusing on what is wrong with Regent which is sad because it likely makes their experience negative. On the other hand, there are many of us that understand that things simply are not perfect and look for what is right. IMO, we end up happier in the long run.

P.S. Having said what I did about my DH, he can't wait to board the Mariner again next month. Go figure!

I also agree but only if Regent stated that the suites were not as up to date as the other ships. Must say, though, that our 25 night Amazon cruise is an amazing bargain and the cruise before ours (we have friends on that cruise) may be the least expensive cruise that I've seen in years (likely equal to a Caribbean cruise that went to Cuba that a poster still complained about -- even at the bargain basement price point). Unfortunately, some people will complain no matter what the ship is like.

I will say that Dennis felt that the Mariner was in worse shape than I did. Again, it is perception and whether you are looking at the glass as being half full or half empty. While I can certainly agree that the Mariner (the ship only) isn't up to Regent standards, I do believe that you can have a great cruise on her - especially if you know what to expect. Unfortunately, some posters have a history of focusing on what is wrong with Regent which is sad because it likely makes their experience negative. On the other hand, there are many of us that understand that things simply are not perfect and look for what is right. IMO, we end up happier in the long run.

P.S. Having said what I did about my DH, he can't wait to board the Mariner again next month. Go figure!

And it must be noted as far as cabins go that many of the higher categories were refurbished in 2014 with the shiny black-coloured furniture. As of last April, these remain largely in good shape. Some of the other categories were not, and still have the old brown furniture. Some of these are looking a little worse for wear and tear. One's experience and perception of the state of the ship might depend on which cabin one is in.

Please stop with the Cuba cruise analogy. It is totally off topic. When I first read your post, I thought you were finally starting to "get" what people are talking about until I realized that you had the word BUT inserted into the statement. The word BUT negates what ever the seemingly on track agreement you were commenting on regarding the subject at hand and we were right back at point A. As usual. I suppose it's a biggie that you agree that the staterooms are looking pretty crappy.

Have to comment that the use of Hurricane issues to delay to scheduled refurbishment was clearly refuted as among other things the shipyard in the Bahamas scheduled to refurb Mariner was refurbing other ships with a full staff prior to and during the scheduled refurbishment. Several theories for the actual reasons were discussed however no conclusion was reached. The only conclusive result was that a minimal hurricane and resultant issues was not the cause of the refurbishment delay.

One could just as well say that some posters have a history of focusing on what is wrong with other posters which is sad....

But these kinds of generalizations are not helpful.

Essentially the post divides posters into two groups, the poor unenlightened complainers and the enlightened elite who are above it all. Such dvisive characterizations are fodder for derailing threads. Most posters who have complaints on CC have not said that their cruises were ruined . But certainly stained carpets and mold are not enhancements to a cruise.

If the Mariner has problems I fail to understand why it becomes necessary to try gloss over the problems or explain them away or blame guests.

As I’ve said before, it appears to be okay to complain about some things, e.g., other posters, but it is not okay to complain about Regent. Though even there the rule changes depending on who is complaining and about what.

One could just as well say that some posters have a history of focusing on what is wrong with other posters which is sad....

But these kinds of generalizations are not helpful.

Essentially the post divides posters into two groups, the poor unenlightened complainers and the enlightened elite who are above it all. Such dvisive characterizations are fodder for derailing threads. Most posters who have complaints on CC have not said that their cruises were ruined . But certainly stained carpets and mold are not enhancements to a cruise.

If the Mariner has problems I fail to understand why it becomes necessary to try gloss over the problems or explain them away or blame guests.

As I’ve said before, it appears to be okay to complain about some things, e.g., other posters, but it is not okay to complain about Regent. Though even there the rule changes depending on who is complaining and about what.

Well written post. Jean.

And it must be noted as far as cabins go that many of the higher categories were refurbished in 2014 with the shiny black-coloured furniture. As of last April, these remain largely in good shape. Some of the other categories were not, and still have the old brown furniture. Some of these are looking a little worse for wear and tear. One's experience and perception of the state of the ship might depend on which cabin one is in.

Excellent point. We were in a PH suite last month with the old brown wood furniture (which didn't bother me but I did notice it). We will be in a Mariner suite next month and will see if we have the new faux wood furniture (which I think is being replaced during refurbishment). In any case, this could account for the various experiences/perceptions of the state of the ship. I must state again, however, that I could see nothing worn out or wrong with the public areas. Hallway carpeting was not worn or stained, the restaurants were fine as were the lounges, Coffee Connection and computer room.

It is a shame that Hurricane Matthew (winds of 140 mph - killing 276 people) in early October of last year caused this delay. On the christening cruise of the Explorer, one of the members of the Board of NCLH was so excited about the upcoming (upcoming as of July of last year) refurbishment of the Mariner. He went into a lot of detail about it. When he left the Explorer, he went directly to the Mariner to work out last minute details. Little did he know what would occur 2 1/2 months later.