St. Martin Sea Caves?

We just got back. It was wonderful......met all my expectations. My kids (age 9 and 17) thought it was very interesting (realize they are both science geeks). We rented a car through Avis...$35 for 200 free miles. Only plan was to see the Caves at St Martin. Low tide was at 8:30am local time. We pulled into port at 9am local (8am boat time). Walked less than 10 minutes to Avis. Got car and quick directions from the staff there. Drove to St Martin...nice drive. Got to the caves before 10am local. There was plenty of "beach" left to go and explore the caves that were close to the restaurant. Actually, there was just the 4 of us, and 5 other guys who also rented a car on the entire beach for quite a while. We did see how quickly the tide came in because the 5 guys were a bit ahead of us, going around the cliff, and the tide started to rise. They had to wade through knee deep water for only 2 or 3 steps on the path.

The first 2 buses from the boat got there, and most people went in to eat. Then they went out to explore while we ate. I'm so glad we got there early (about 30-40 minutes before them). We heard later that 2 more buses got there around noontime local, and they couldn't venture out at all....and were very disappointed............ I'm so glad we rented a car!

A nice cabbie that we talked with at the restaurant told us about a couple nice diversions on our way back to Saint John....we went to a quiet lighthouse, saw some sweet mini horses, and found a great little back road that took us to another beach to experience the tide.

We measured that the tide was coming in a solid foot every 30 seconds. To me, it was amazing.

I'm so glad I got to see this place....quiet, amazing, loved the lupine!!!!

Nice review! We may rent a car as well. I love lupines! I have been trying to grow them here on Long Island.

Keep in mind that your feet will likely get wet getting to the caves, even at low tide. You need sturdy footwear as the beach is very rocky and some rocks are quite large. We took our kids there this week -we live nearbye but hadn't been there in a couple of years. We were glad we brought extra (dry) pairs of sandals/sneakers to change into afterwards. The kids loved exploring the caves. Have fun!

We just got back. It was wonderful......met all my expectations. My kids (age 9 and 17) thought it was very interesting (realize they are both science geeks). We rented a car through Avis...$35 for 200 free miles. Only plan was to see the Caves at St Martin. Low tide was at 8:30am local time. We pulled into port at 9am local (8am boat time). Walked less than 10 minutes to Avis. Got car and quick directions from the staff there. Drove to St Martin...nice drive. Got to the caves before 10am local. There was plenty of "beach" left to go and explore the caves that were close to the restaurant. Actually, there was just the 4 of us, and 5 other guys who also rented a car on the entire beach for quite a while. We did see how quickly the tide came in because the 5 guys were a bit ahead of us, going around the cliff, and the tide started to rise. They had to wade through knee deep water for only 2 or 3 steps on the path.

The first 2 buses from the boat got there, and most people went in to eat. Then they went out to explore while we ate. I'm so glad we got there early (about 30-40 minutes before them). We heard later that 2 more buses got there around noontime local, and they couldn't venture out at all....and were very disappointed............ I'm so glad we rented a car!

A nice cabbie that we talked with at the restaurant told us about a couple nice diversions on our way back to Saint John....we went to a quiet lighthouse, saw some sweet mini horses, and found a great little back road that took us to another beach to experience the tide.

We measured that the tide was coming in a solid foot every 30 seconds. To me, it was amazing.

I'm so glad I got to see this place....quiet, amazing, loved the lupine!!!!

pal2pluto or anyone else who can help,

We would like to rent a car to drive to the caves and fundy trailway when we are in Saint John's (all your postings have convinced me) but I am having difficulty finding a rental car place - is there any that I can book that is within a short walking distance of the pier where the ship will be docked or is there any that will come pick us up and take us to the rental car counter? Is so, could you please supply me the rental company name and address? As I see that there are 5 Avis rental counters in Saint John but I don't know which one to rent with that will make it easy to get to (I called the 800 number but did not get any help in retrospect to the area).

Thanks for the help, cruzbound

pal2pluto or anyone else who can help,

We would like to rent a car to drive to the caves and fundy trailway when we are in Saint John's (all your postings have convinced me) but I am having difficulty finding a rental car place - is there any that I can book that is within a short walking distance of the pier where the ship will be docked or is there any that will come pick us up and take us to the rental car counter? Is so, could you please supply me the rental company name and address? As I see that there are 5 Avis rental counters in Saint John but I don't know which one to rent with that will make it easy to get to (I called the 800 number but did not get any help in retrospect to the area).

Thanks for the help, cruzbound

Find out which berth you will be docking at here:

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/visitsaintjohn/cruiseschedule.asp

If it is Pugsley Terminal, go with AVIS 2 blocks from ship.

If it is Long Wharf, go with either AVIS or Enterprise (10 min walk from ship)

AVIS is at 4 Water Street call 506-634-7750

Enterprise is at 132 Station Street call 506-693-8688

I would forget calling the national toll free numbers - call them locally direct as the call centres won't be able to answer specific questions you may have related to renting to cruise ship pax + reserve early as there will be alot of cruise ship pax looking to rent.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
There is a parking lot right there at the beach by the caves--right beside the restaurant on the beach. There is no charge for parking, nor is there a charge for walking out to the caves. You can see the caves from the parking lot and you just walk out to them. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes as the beach is quite rocky. There is also a little stream to cross half way out to the caves but there is ususally a board there to walk on so your feet won't get wet. You can leave your car in the parking lot and then walk back up the road to visit the covered bridges and take some lovely pictures.

The view from the lighthouse in St. Martins is also beautiful. Just ask any local person how to get there. People are very friendly and approachable here in New Brunswick. The miniature horse farm is not far from the lighthouse and they welcome visitors. Children love the horses.

If you drive a further 10 or 15 minutes beyond St. Martins you will come to the Fundy Parkway. There is a nominal charge to enter (haven't driven out for a few years but it was a couple of dollars) and you can then park in various lots along the trail and walk sections or descend by stairs to the beach to enjoy the view there. This is not part of Fundy National Park---that is located further up the coast. There is a visitors' centre at the end of the Parkway at Salmon River---a very pretty spot.

I hope you enjoy your day in our area!!!

I'm going there myself and I was checking Google Street View and I saw the Restaurant. Signs outside it say Restaurant Parking Only. So where can I really park without them towing my car or bothering me or the car?

Thanks!

• 5 years later...

i just found this thread and read that you dont need absolute low tide for the caves to be able to walk in them

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/6117.html?y=2017&m=10&d=23

10/23 i arrive in port at 515. 9 am is low tide. one tour i'm looking at gets you there around 7 or 730 i think. so in your opinion would you be able to walk on the floor and go in the caves. id probably bring cheap boots and just toss them after i was done.