Questions about Cape Town/South Africa? Ask a Capetonian!

Zimbo

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this week, they have this headline: From Cape Town's beaches and scenic mountain hikes to its best vineyards and hotels: An ultimate guidewith these highlights: With its towering mountains, penguin-strewn beaches and world-class vineyards, Cape Town has it all. Room rates at its best hotels are eye-wateringly costly, but everything else is absurdly cheap - a decent bottle of everyday wine, for example, will set you back only £2.

Below are just four pictures in this profile that brought back great memories from our excellent visit at these varied locations last year. This includes many pictures and details about Delaire Graff Estate. We had an excellent lunch there during our Sunday tour of the Winelands to the east of Cape Town. They note this resort is "Perhaps the most lavish and expansive retreat in the wine region of Stellenbosch (and beyond), with sculptures hidden at every turn. Delaire's stellar reputation is well-deserved. Delaire serves up and earthy, colourful exotic food with, of course, a splendid wine selection. It boasts extraordinary views over the mountains." See more on this great resort at:

www.delaire.co.za

This profile also highlight other areas/sites that we loved, including the Cable Car ride up Table Mountain, seeing around the Lion's Head and especially with the penguins at Boulder's Bay.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4479478/An-ultimate-guide-Cape-Town-s-hotels-beaches-wine.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,126 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are four of the pictures from this UK Daily Mail travel profile on the great options in and around Cape Town that we enjoyed so much last year. In order below, these are Lion's Head/Table Mountain, Delaire Graff Estate, the Cable Car and the penguins at Boulder's Bay. Loved all of these excellent locations!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201618_zpsrnjcbwlx.jpg

July%202017A%201617%201_zpsragojlsa.jpg

July%202017A%201616%201_zpsrvzsvlf3.jpg

July%202017A%201615_zpstlsovlyw.jpg

Hi, although my address says Tampa, FL I was born in Cape Town and lived there for 35 years. Just wanted to mention that summer (Dec - Jan - Feb) is EXTREMELY hot if you were maybe thinking of visiting Kruger. Because of the heat the animals are very often lying in the shade under trees and bushes. Also because the rains begin in Oct/Nov (tropical climate) the grass is extremely long at that time of the year, which also makes for more challenging game viewing. So this with the blistering heat makes it the least desirable time to go on safari. Also don't forget that not everything is air conditioned like we are accustomed to here!! Just a thought.

Cape Town on the other hand get's it's rains in the winter (Mediterranean climate) so that's not such an issue in the Cape - which is always beautiful.

Kruger is the most awesome safari destination. We go almost every year for 3 weeks (going in Oct this year) - it is also very easy to do a self drive safari. If you need details .......just ask.

We are just back from a trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe - what an amazing adventure! We never made it to the top of Table Mountain, but they were desperate for the rain, so no complaints from this Southern Californian. And we adored Kruger - we saw the Big Five and loads more. I am already planning a return trip!

We are just back from a trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe - what an amazing adventure! We never made it to the top of Table Mountain, but they were desperate for the rain, so no complaints from this Southern Californian. And we adored Kruger - we saw the Big Five and loads more. I am already planning a return trip!

Appreciate your post, Jean!! Glad that South Africa and Zimbabwe worked well for you. What areas would you visit in doing a return trip? Maybe Botswana? Where else to go in South Africa? Did you get to Victoria Falls?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,730 views for these postings.

I have a very short time in Cape Town. My cruise arrives at 5pm and I disembark the next morning. I would like to go to the wineries and dinner in the wine region closest to the cruise ship but I am uncertain what mode of transportation is available to get there. All tours seem to be in the morning or early afternoon. What are my transportation options? I would prefer to have a guide to learn about the area, but have had no luck finding one online. Is renting a car a viable option, or are there taxis that will travel to an area a half hour out of the city and then wait to take you back? Do the wineries close at 5pm? It should still be light until late into the evening.

GoFloat cruising on Crystal Cruises into CapeTown Dec. 22, 2017

I have a very short time in Cape Town. My cruise arrives at 5pm and I disembark the next morning. I would like to go to the wineries and dinner in the wine region closest to the cruise ship but I am uncertain what mode of transportation is available to get there. All tours seem to be in the morning or early afternoon. What are my transportation options? I would prefer to have a guide to learn about the area, but have had no luck finding one online. Is renting a car a viable option, or are there taxis that will travel to an area a half hour out of the city and then wait to take you back? Do the wineries close at 5pm? It should still be light until late into the evening. GoFloat cruising on Crystal Cruises into CapeTown Dec. 22, 2017

Given a late afternoon arrival in Cape Town and the traffic congestion at that time of day period, the best/most efficient option would be to have a private tour. That solves the major logistical challenge. As detailed on my live/ blog below, we had a super day in the spectacular Winelands to the east of Cape Town. Our guide was Mrs. Glen Christie. Such a super expert, plus charming and very knowledgeable. Her email is: vinven@iafrica.com.

Given the holiday time period, I am not sure how that impacts the schedules and options during this busy part of the year. Some of the locations, such as Delaire Wine Estate, that we visited and loved for lunch, are also open in the evenings, as I recall. Other questions and info needs? Great that you sailing with Crystal. What other port stops will you have?

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,554 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From The Sunday Times Travel Section from London/UK this past weekend, they have this headline: Cape Town: South Africa’s new capital of culturewith these highlights: It was already the best holiday city in South Africa, but now there’s a whole new reason to visit Cape Town. The flourishing arts scene will go to another level next week when the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa opens in a huge grain silo. And with beach, wildlife, hip hotels and a food scene that’s as exciting as the art, you’ve got all the ingredients for a fabulous winter-sun escape.

Lots of nice pictures and details are outlined in this glowing profile of Cape Town. This story continues to note: "contemporary African art is having a moment, with soaring saleroom prices and an outpouring of great work, but until now there has been nowhere on the continent itself to do the pieces justice. Enter the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA), which aims to do for Cape Town what Tate Modern did for London."

They also note other options, including this one that we enjoyed: "To escape the heat, head to Boulders Beach for a dip and to see the penguins." And . . . "You can’t miss Robben Island, either."

A number options for dining and places to stay are mentioned. Brings back nice memories about wonderful Cape Town.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2017-09-10/travel/cape-town-south-africas-new-capital-of-culture-5x85cwq55

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the Wall Street Journal Magazine today, they have this headline: Museum of Contemporary African Art to Open in Cape Town.

Here are some of the story highlights: London architect Thomas Heatherwick—his first building in Africa— has carved a space from 42 steel and concrete grain-storage tubes, a soaring atrium hugged by white-box galleries—more than 100 of them on six floors—that curators and art handlers are already filling with sculpture, photography, film and paintings. This 96-year-old grain silo on the Cape Town waterfront was stripped of its gungy magnolia paint down to gray concrete. The Zeitz museum, launching this month, focuses on 21st-century work and aims to offer an inclusive look at the African art scene today, with a big-tent approach featuring African, expat and diaspora artists.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-museum-of-african-contemporary-art-to-open-in-cape-town-1505426400

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,643 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Wall Street Journal, here is one of several visuals featured with this article. It is titled "TOTALLY TUBULAR". The atrium, carved from a grain silo’s interior, opens to the public this month.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

BN-VD063_ZEITZ1_12H_20170914162323_zpslcvazeex.jpg

Just thought I would mention here in case anyone has plans for a visit to Robben Island in the near future. The ferry to Robben Island sank today .... all 68 passengers were rescued.

WOW!! This is big and startling news. On our trip back from Robben Island in early 2016, the waters really turned super rough and it took lots longer to make it back. Those waters in and around Cape Town can get challenging. This location can have difficult "mixes" when you have waters and air from the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meeting the cold weather coming up from Antarctica. This part of the world can have conditions change quickly and without much advance notice.

From NEWS24 in South Africa later yesterday, they have this headline: “ 'Technical problem' possibly to blame for Robben Island ferry sinking with these highlights: The 64 passengers and four crew members aboad the ferry, Thandi, had to be evacuated when the nose of the boat started to sink in rough seas, 3km from the Cape Town waterfront. Robben Island Museum senior ferry manager Sandresan Thandroyan said the ferry was used for the first time on Friday morning after undergoing lengthy maintenance work.

The officials and this reporting were vague as whether this vessel sank completely or not. This story also noted: "Sea swells of up to 2m were reported in Cape Town on Friday afternoon, with winds of up to 65 km/h blowing from the south-southeast."

Full story at:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/technical-problem-possibly-to-blame-for-robben-island-ferry-sinking-museum-20170915

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

We're taking an AMA Safari cruise in May which starts at the Cape Grace Hotel. We are flying in 2 nights ahead and want a hotel nearby but less expensive -- have booked The PortsWood Hotel. Any comments?

While we have not stayed at this PortsWood Hotel, we did walk by its location and got to know this general location. It's near the V&A waterfront area that is popular with many options for activities, food, shopping, etc. BUT, that area is also fairly busy and maybe too touristy.

We stayed at the nearby Cape Royale apartment hotel and loved its location, facilities, etc. No need to pay the big money for a luxury hotel such as the Cape Grace. Much depends on what you want to see and do during your limited time in wonderful and charming Cape Town. My bottom line is that this hotel should work fine. BUT, what do you do in your just two days in Cape Town? That is the bigger question/challenge. Is this going to be your first visit to Cape Town? What else is planned/desired there?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,802 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

My bottom line is that this hotel should work fine. BUT, what do you do in your just two days in Cape Town? That is the bigger question/challenge. Is this going to be your first visit to Cape Town? What else is planned/desired there?

We will be staying a total of 5 nights in Cape Town (2 on our own, then 3 with AMA). We will have two full days of sightseeing with AMA: Chapman Peak Drive, the Cape of Good Hope, and Boulders Beach, with lunch overlooking False Bay (day 1); then Table Mountain and the Cape Winelands (day 2). The remaining items of interest we have identified for our DIY days are: V&A Waterfront historical guided walking tour; Two Oceans Aquarium, and Waterfront Harbour Cruise -- all of which make a hotel near the V&A very convenient.

We will be staying a total of 5 nights in Cape Town (2 on our own, then 3 with AMA). We will have two full days of sightseeing with AMA: Chapman Peak Drive, the Cape of Good Hope, and Boulders Beach, with lunch overlooking False Bay (day 1); then Table Mountain and the Cape Winelands (day 2). The remaining items of interest we have identified for our DIY days are: V&A Waterfront historical guided walking tour; Two Oceans Aquarium, and Waterfront Harbour Cruise -- all of which make a hotel near the V&A very convenient.

Great that you are going to have five days in Cape Town. That's wonderful and gives you lots of options to see the wide range of potentials there in this historic and scenic part of the world. Keep sharing!! For others, do not be shy with any added questions.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,850 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 3 weeks later...
Will there probably be taxis at the ship when we call at Cape Town? We want to get to the Mount Nelson Hotel for tea.

There will be taxis at the port, but like most ports they, understandably, want the longer airport runs or a sightseeing trip - but you should be ok for the short trip to Nellies for afternoon tea. It's a great experience and one we will be doing again next month as part of our fourth road trip in South Africa.

There will be taxis at the port, but like most ports they, understandably, want the longer airport runs or a sightseeing trip - but you should be ok for the short trip to Nellies for afternoon tea. It's a great experience and one we will be doing again next month as part of our fourth road trip in South Africa.

Thanks very much, that is reassuring. I have made a reservation for tea at 3.30-5.30pm, so people are not going to be wanting sightseeing tours at that time of day fortunately. Tea is amazingly cheap at £18 per person. Favourable exchange rate I imagine!

Thanks very much, that is reassuring. I have made a reservation for tea at 3.30-5.30pm, so people are not going to be wanting sightseeing tours at that time of day fortunately. Tea is amazingly cheap at £18 per person. Favourable exchange rate I imagine!

The £ to rand rate has certainly improved since our last visit in January. Even though afternoon tea is relatively cheap, the quality is excellent and plentiful. Enjoy!

A friend and I will be in CapeTown next month for 4 nights at the 12 Apostles Hotel before we go on to Thorneybush for safari and then on to Victoria Falls. We have tours planned for day 3 - all day around the cape and day 4 - all day wine country. The second day we have a very quick morning helicopter ride and then the reset of the day is free. Our hotel has a shuttle, which we plan to use.

We want to spend most of our day around the Victoria and Albert Waterfront - would you recommend a township tour or one of the cruises around the bay? I like to collect local art - are street artists in the VA Waterfront area?

A friend and I will be in CapeTown next month for 4 nights at the 12 Apostles Hotel before we go on to Thorneybush for safari and then on to Victoria Falls. We have tours planned for day 3 - all day around the cape and day 4 - all day wine country. The second day we have a very quick morning helicopter ride and then the reset of the day is free. Our hotel has a shuttle, which we plan to use.

We want to spend most of our day around the Victoria and Albert Waterfront - would you recommend a township tour or one of the cruises around the bay? I like to collect local art - are street artists in the VA Waterfront area?

The 12 Apostles is a wonderful hotel in a beautiful location. We have dined there several times.

From a very personal point of view, I wouldn't be comfortable doing a township tour - not from a safety angle, but it seems a little 'voyeuristic'. There are some that would argue that it is income for the residents but I have been told that very little money from the tours goes to the locals - in fact many of them resent the tours because money is siphoned off to the 'boss' who doesn't live anywhere near. Just my opinion.

A cruise around the bay may be a better option or better a trip to Robben Island.

Thanks for the feedback - the Townships look interesting, but I certainly wouldn't want to offend residents by coming across as gawking. I thought it might be a great place to purchase local art, but perhaps not.

From what I can tell the bay cruises look nice - especially the ones with dinner. We will probably do that.

This is my first trip to Africa and I'm so excited!!!!

I was looking on line for some tipping guidelines for housekeeping in South Africa. All of our hotels and lodges are in the very upscale category, so can you offer any guidelines? The only suggestion I can find is 10 -15 rand per night, which seems incredibly low. I can figure out tipping for porters, restaurant servers, etc. but I'm stumped with housekeeping.

I was looking on line for some tipping guidelines for housekeeping in South Africa. All of our hotels and lodges are in the very upscale category, so can you offer any guidelines? The only suggestion I can find is 10 -15 rand per night, which seems incredibly low. I can figure out tipping for porters, restaurant servers, etc. but I'm stumped with housekeeping.

10-15 rand is on the light side. In my opinion about 30 rand pn would be appropriate with 50 rand pn a maximum.

10-15 rand is on the light side. In my opinion about 30 rand pn would be appropriate with 50 rand pn a maximum.

So that would be about $3 per night, maybe a little more for really good service. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi Zimbo,

We will be on a cruise in February, starting in Cape Town. I would like to know what the tipping policy is for SA. What will be the easiest way to obtain local currency? I don't think we will have a lot of time in the airport as we have booked a transfer to our pre-cruise hotel.

Also, what can we expect as far as the weather goes?

Thank you for your help,

Kathy

Hi Zimbo,

We will be on a cruise in February, starting in Cape Town. I would like to know what the tipping policy is for SA. What will be the easiest way to obtain local currency? I don't think we will have a lot of time in the airport as we have booked a transfer to our pre-cruise hotel.

Also, what can we expect as far as the weather goes?

Thank you for your help,

Kathy

I can tell you what my experience was concerning tipping when I was there in November. We started out at 10 - 15% because that is what we had been told before leaving, but after talking to a few locals we tipped 20% at restaurants. I will mention that we found prices at even high end restaurants to really be a bargain for us, so a 20% tip was not a huge amount.

I exchanged dollars for rands before I left home and that worked well for me, but just an FYI, dollars are widely accepted in restaurants, shops, for tips.

We found the weather to be mild and pleasant but that was six weeks ago.