The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience

ronrick1943

I would like to see Regent simply offer a laundry/dry cleaning package for a reasonable price. While happy to get the perks that come with the SSS, it has little impact on our decision to travel or not...itineraries are the deciding factor most often. Buying a package would take any stress out of this necessary chore and they could continue to offer it for free in their loyalty program.

Most Regent passengers feel the same way that you do. Prior to becoming Platinum, we would have loved a laundry package for a reasonable price (but it did not impact our decision to sail on Regent). Rather than offering "FREE" laundry to people that have only sailed Regent once or twice, I would fully support the laundry package for a reasonable price.

TC2, your quote above, Most Regent passengers feel the same way that you do. (regarding laundry) just isn't true. Before I retired one of the departments that reported to me was Market Research. Your opinion is your opinion only, but when you say "MOST" that just isn't a true statement. Unless you have research that no one else as, you can't make a statement like that, it just doesn't hold water. I never said what other people think-I posters to write what they think about the idea---but you can't do that, you have to answer for everyone and that just isn't what CC post are about. This is my last post on the subject, so go ahead make your comment.

I would like to see Regent simply offer a laundry/dry cleaning package for a reasonable price. While happy to get the perks that come with the SSS, it has little impact on our decision to travel or not...itineraries are the deciding factor most often. Buying a package would take any stress out of this necessary chore and they could continue to offer it for free in their loyalty program.

This is a terrific idea. We have had this on Holland America and found it worked very well. We had to sign up at the start of the cruise (or before) and pay a set rate for everyday on board (no by the bag - they took everything we put out each time). It was terrific as having a laundry pkg meant less packing, no laundry room time, and mostly clean things coming home. And it is fun weeks after the cruise to put something on and discover the HAL laundry sticker - nice reminder of the cruise. Too bad Regent doesn’t offer this.

TC2, your quote above, Most Regent passengers feel the same way that you do. (regarding laundry) just isn't true. Before I retired one of the departments that reported to me was Market Research. Your opinion is your opinion only, but when you say "MOST" that just isn't a true statement. Unless you have research that no one else as, you can't make a statement like that, it just doesn't hold water. I never said what other people think-I posters to write what they think about the idea---but you can't do that, you have to answer for everyone and that just isn't what CC post are about. This is my last post on the subject, so go ahead make your comment.

Indeed, answering for “most” is one of the things that diverts threads. It invites people to post because obviously without sound research no one knows what “most” want with regard to something like laundry service.

You misinterpreted my meaning. Given that Regent is unlikely to give free laundry (meaning that their laundry department washes and presses your clothes vs. you doing your own laundry), the next best thing would be a reasonable laundry package. I would be surprised if most Regent customers would not be happy if that were offered. OTOH, just about everyone would love to get it without paying for it which is fairly obvious.

Regent and other luxury cruise lines that say they are all-inclusive can be misleading. While luxury cruise lines (thinking specifically of Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea) advertise that they are all-inclusive (and they are to a certain extent), there are quite a few differences in terms of what is included.

IMO, anyone new to cruising - should be certain that they have a TA that is well versed with the cruise line you are booking (i.e. a TA that has not booked Regent before may not be the best choice). Also, do research.

You mentioned "FREE roundtrip Business Class air". This benefit is actually more complicated that you mentioned. For instance, if. you "deviate" your flights (cost $175/person), you can select your flights from the many that Regent contracts with and have the flights booked 270 days in advance of your cruise. A good tip is to use a foreign airline (British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific for instance) which generally do not have plane changes in the U.S. and you then get Business Class the entire way. Also, if you use the same domestic airline, under certain conditions, you get First Class domestically and Business Class internationally. And, people outside of the U.S. and Canada generally do not get include Business Class when going from the U.K. to the U.S. Do not want to get this thread off track but did want to respond to your comment.

There are included excursions but if you want a premium excursion, you pay for it. Wine and top shelf alcohols are also "FREE" but, if you want ultra top premium, there is a charge. So, Regent's advertising can be misleading to some, they are not saying anything that is not true in one way or the other. Once you have paid your cruise fare, these items are included -- you just decide whether you want to use the included offerings or pay for another level.

While you do not agree with my point you are in fact supporting it. Perhaps I should have "done more research" but when the Regent Brochure proclaims that "everything is included, without exception and without compromise" it just might be presumed that with such a loyal following Regent really means what it says and we needn't look for the exceptions and compromises that you so adeptly have pointed out exist in every category.

Maybe Regent does not include "free" laundry is because they physically cannot offer this service to every one on the ship. This may be due to manpower, number of washer and dryers in the laundry, or other restraints. After all, I'm pretty sure almost all of their work load now is sheets, towels, tablecloths, napkins, uniforms, etc. which keep the laundry facility humming 24/7.

Come on folks, if we all had the money for real "luxury", we would be hiring our own nice ship or private island instead and we wouldn't be on Cruise Critic, would we?

This about sums it up, doesn't it?

Seriously, I think Regent opens the door for some criticism due to their hype in their marketing (FREE this, FREE that, UNLIMITED this, UNLIMITED that)...but I challenge you all to name a line that actually provides more included items than Regent. I'd gladly look into another line if there was one that provided the same level of inclusiveness and service that I've experienced on Regent.

I've looked at Crystal, I've looked at Seabourn, I've looked at Silversea - and although they all provide what looks to be an excellent product, none of them approach the level of 'one check per trip' that I feel that I get from Regent.

Unless and until I can afford my own 400' yacht and/or a private island, I'm stuck sailing on these plebian luxury lines. And if there's one out there that gives me a more inclusive experience than Regent, please let me know about it as I'd love to give them a go.

And to get back on the laundry issue, yes, free laundry is included - but you gotta do it yourself. But you don't have to pay for it. Free laundry service is NOT included. But it's available. As someone else stated earlier - it's quite possible to board a Regent ship and not spend another dime on your cruise. That might be possible on another line, but I doubt it's as easy as doing it on Regent. Yeah, Regent's prices have gone up - but every year or so we do a comparison between Regent and it's competition and when you add everything up it's still kind of a wash. Others may disagree, and that's fine. Others may use points or miles or spend weeks organizing budget excursions - and that's fine. Me? I prefer to just book and go. I sure don't visit the other boards and criticize them for not including air, or booze, or excursions or whatever. There's a cruise line for everyone out there...

Man, I gotta stop checking the board at work...

PS - I have to admit, though, I do like the idea of an optional laundry service/dry cleaning package. Would make packing a bit easier. Jason - are you listening?? :D

Maybe Regent does not include "free" laundry is because they physically cannot offer this service to every one on the ship. This may be due to manpower, number of washer and dryers in the laundry, or other restraints. After all, I'm pretty sure almost all of their work load now is sheets, towels, tablecloths, napkins, uniforms, etc. which keep the laundry facility humming 24/7.

I was wondering about that myself - I'm sure capacity is an issue - I'd be curious to know about how much passenger laundry passes through the ship's laundry every day. It seems to me that a LOT of passengers utilize the laundry rooms as they're almost always full - but I wonder how many people actually send their laundry out? Maybe if they included laundry service they could convert the self-service laundry rooms to 'crew-only' areas and install some monster commercial machines in there? :confused:

Seriously, I think Regent opens the door for some criticism due to their hype in their marketing (FREE this, FREE that, UNLIMITED this, UNLIMITED that)...but I challenge you all to name a line that actually provides more included items than Regent. I'd gladly look into another line if there was one that provided the same level of inclusiveness and service that I've experienced on Regent.

I've looked at Crystal, I've looked at Seabourn, I've looked at Silversea - and although they all provide what looks to be an excellent product, none of them approach the level of 'one check per trip' that I feel that I get from Regent.

Unless and until I can afford my own 400' yacht and/or a private island, I'm stuck sailing on these plebian luxury lines. And if there's one out there that gives me a more inclusive experience than Regent, please let me know about it as I'd love to give them a go.

And to get back on the laundry issue, yes, free laundry is included - but you gotta do it yourself. But you don't have to pay for it. Free laundry service is NOT included. But it's available. As someone else stated earlier - it's quite possible to board a Regent ship and not spend another dime on your cruise. That might be possible on another line, but I doubt it's as easy as doing it on Regent. Yeah, Regent's prices have gone up - but every year or so we do a comparison between Regent and it's competition and when you add everything up it's still kind of a wash. Others may disagree, and that's fine. Others may use points or miles or spend weeks organizing budget excursions - and that's fine. Me? I prefer to just book and go.

I too would prefer to "just book and go" Perhaps Regent could offer a two tier product with a choice (for extra cost of course) to really leave our credit card at home and include all those upper tier tours, flights, beverages, laundry & dry cleaning etc.

In terms of "book and go", it would be great. Perhaps a ship will be built to accommodate that. In terms of how much laundry is done now, one would assume that the number varies. You can bet that all Titanium and Platinum members send all of theirs out -- Gold sends out a small bag bag a week and others just pay for it. The turnaround time is less than 24 hours. Regent already has humungous washing machines and dryers and it is unlikely that they could fit more. And as nfcu mentioned, it would take more manpower and Regent has already built more crew quarters and there still is not enough capacity for the current crew. Some crew members are staying in what used to be money generating guest suites so the capacity of some Regent ships is less.

Bill, please keep checking the boards from work:evilsmile:. While you and I disagree somewhat on this subject, I agree about Regent's advertising. "FREE" is really "INCLUDED" (as in your cruise fare). IMO, Regent's advertising used to be more classy (i.e. "The Regent Experience"). And, Regent used to be less inclusive.

2onboardagain, I did somewhat support your theory by pointing out what is completely inclusive and what is not. Luxury cruise lines (and likely other cruise lines) have advertising that isn't the easiest to follow. I could confuse the issue more with a couple of benefits that messed up "The Regent Experience" for some passengers but it is best if I don't.

I certainly understand that everyone that does not already get a level of included laundry wants that benefit. What I interesting to me about it is that this subject has rarely been brought up. People do their own laundry onboard, pay to send it out or wait until they get home. It hasn't been an issue.

We have choices as to which benefit is important to us. Oceania will give you some free laundry but isn't all-inclusive in most ways. Silversea is all-inclusive except for air and some specialty restaurants that you have to pay for (they do have included laundry in upper suite). I don't know anything about Seabourn but Crystal has a rule that allows visits to their specialty restaurants once and then you pay for it and I do not believe that they include air -- not 100% certain.

And for anyone new to this Board or Regent, some Regent customers and posters on this board (mostly long time passengers), do not want included excursions. At the least we want the ability to opt out as we can do with air and hotels. So, while some of you want more benefits, some of us want less (I'm specifically speaking about air, hotels and excursions - we cannot opt out of alcohol or any benefit onboard and receive a credit).

I really enjoyed my lunch today. Did not go out, but read some boards instead. This one is a winner. The stars are out; the discussion is spirited but clean; and the issue is not that big a deal. Here are my takeaways:

1.Apparently some people believe everything they read (Free)

2.Some people have the answer for everything and have to share it (does this feel like you?)

3.On other boards most of the laundry posts are negative, "they ruined my favorite shirt", "they over-starched my jeans", but it seems that Regents laundry service is a thing to fight over. (who knew)

4. Somebody other than me sometimes reads the boards at work. (you know who you are)

There are two real facts here that most of the posters could accept, first the use of "Free" in Regent's advertising is at best confusing and at worse misleading (if you believe everything you read); and second everything in the included price has a cost in the price and adding new things raises the cost/price and weakens longevity benefits.

On Regent I am a level that gets some free laundry, on Celebrity I usually stay in a suite that has included laundry. Still, when we get home we have three or four bags of dirty laundry. Clearly my wife and I are doing something wrong. Maybe by reading the boards at lunch I will eventually figure it out.

Have a great Tuesday folks.

I really enjoyed my lunch today. Did not go out, but read some boards instead. This one is a winner. The stars are out; the discussion is spirited but clean; and the issue is not that big a deal. Here are my takeaways:

2.Some people have the answer for everything and have to share it (does this feel like you?)

3.On other boards most of the laundry posts are negative, "they ruined my favorite shirt", "they over-starched my jeans", but it seems that Regents laundry service is a thing to fight over. (who knew)

4. Somebody other than me sometimes reads the boards at work. (you know who you are)

There are two real facts here that most of the posters could accept, first the use of "Free" in Regent's advertising is at best confusing and at worse misleading (if you believe everything you read); and second everything in the included price has a cost in the price and adding new things raises the cost/price and weakens longevity benefits.

On Regent I am a level that gets some free laundry, on Celebrity I usually stay in a suite that has included laundry. Still, when we get home we have three or four bags of dirty laundry. Clearly my wife and I are doing something wrong. Maybe by reading the boards at lunch I will eventually figure it out.

Really enjoyed your post, definitely made me smile and also I am sure lots of other readers too. Thanks, Jean.:D

I said I wasn't going to post again on this, but TWG_ag +2 Love it and how true!:)

I pretty much agree with the statement: "........and second everything in the included price has a cost in the price and adding new things raises the cost/price and weakens longevity benefits." Everything does have a cost but not every onboard benefit weakens longevity benefits - only those things that are taken away from the benefits of the Seven Seas Society program.

I don't necessarily agree that Regent's advertising is misleading - rather, I think that it can be confusing which is why newbies in particular need a good TA to help them understand the intricacies of sailing on Regent (or other cruise lines).

As I write this, there is an ad for Viking Ocean Cruises to the right of my screen that states "2-For-1-Cruise from $1,999 plus Air Savings". Although I won't click on the ad (which should not be there because I have ad-block) what are the odds that the cruise not really not "2 for 1" - anymore than Regent cruises are.

Seems to me the problem, according to some, is that the free laundry benefit has not been earned. The new Diamond level includes all the benefits of Titanium (including laundry and dry cleaning) and an invitation to new ship christening. I expect that Regent will not invite anyone who has not earned it and that anyone who has not earned it would accept an invitation.

Boy, you got that right. On a $35,000 cruise and we're going back and forth on a few hundred $$ worth of laundry. Or free if you want to do it yourself. Or is that 'included'?

Like I said in another post, not everything is 'free' - not spa treatments, not helicopter excursions, not that nice Omega watch in the shop...but why isn't it free?? Regent's brochure said EVERYTHING was FREE, FREE, FREE!!! :rolleyes:

In all honesty, there are a few folks on here who DO have a lot of the answers. Okay, maybe one in particular. And those answers get mixed with opinion. Or cheerleading. Whatever. Like with everything else in life, if you don't like what you read, just move along...nothing to see here...

But...you have to ask yourself - who's more to blame - the person posting an opinion or the people constantly attacking those opinions? It takes two to bicker. Just an observation.

I've actually had good results with their laundry service. Yeah, the prices are high, and yeah, sometimes I'll still throw in a few loads of laundry (socks, skivvies, bathing suits, etc.) - but I've had good luck with the service. I love the boxes and tissue paper. :hearteyes:

Guilty as charged.

I don't know if Regent's FREE, FREE, FREE advertising is misleading (at least not for cynical people) but it definitely cheapens the brand, in my opinion (are you listening, Regent??) I wish I'd have kept some of my Regent brochures from 2009 when we started with them so I could compare their prices to today's. I'm sure I'd be shocked, even accounting for BC air and inflation. Best not to think about it...

It's funny how my wife and I have different outlooks on this - she always sends out a bag or two right before we disembark so she doesn't have to do laundry when we get home...whereas I usually time it out so I'm wearing my last clean clothes on the flight home. It's just easier for me to dump my suitcase and do everything when we get back. :D

Thanks, will do - you too!!

Seems to me the problem, according to some, is that the free laundry benefit has not been earned. The new Diamond level includes all the benefits of Titanium (including laundry and dry cleaning) and an invitation to new ship christening. I expect that Regent will not invite anyone who has not earned it and that anyone who has not earned it would accept an invitation.

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the Regent board.

You hit the nail on the head - for me it is about earning this particular benefit.

In terms of the christening cruise, from what I heard, the invitations for the Explorer's christening went out to investors, Board of Directors, some people that work at corporate, people with over 1,000 nights in the Seven Seas Society, Regent's travel partners and friends and family.

I think one reason that it has become important to some to have a way to get onboard laundry done (other than high per-piece prices or wasting your cruise time doing it yourself) is founded in airline policies, or lack thereof. Airlines now charge for checked bags (unless you are in first or business) and reduced the weight limit to 50 pounds per bag. They didn't used to do that. ALL airlines used to transfer bags from airline to airline for connections. In many cases, that is not done today. You must pick up checked bags, haul them to check in, and go through security again. There used to be Skycaps to help passengers move their luggage about in the airport (distances can be long). I haven't seen a Skycap in a long time. Thus, many cruisers have an interest in packing as light as possible, which necessitates having onboard laundry done.

I don't think anybody wants to degrade the benefits of Platinum SSS members by making any of their benefits free to everybody. But as posted above a great many lines offer a flat rate laundry package that is at less cost than having laundry done at the per-piece rate. Paul Gauguin does it. MSC does it. And many other lines do it. I think it is in poor taste that Regent does not. It shows that Regent does not understand the problems we have getting to the ship (those described above any many others). The laundry packages we've experienced on other lines are not cheap, but according to my math they cost less than having everything done per piece. If additional personnel are required, the income for the package charge could be used to hire more. And having a pre-sold laundry package would allow the ship's management to better plan personnel allocation for the cruise.

I vote for a per bag price or laundry package. We travel in carry on only and that would be fantastic for us. don't mind paying, just not the per piece pricing that now exists. We have done our own laundry in the past, but if there was a "code red" we would be in trouble.

I think one reason that it has become important to some to have a way to get onboard laundry done (other than high per-piece prices or wasting your cruise time doing it yourself) is founded in airline policies, or lack thereof. Airlines now charge for checked bags (unless you are in first or business) and reduced the weight limit to 50 pounds per bag. They didn't used to do that. ALL airlines used to transfer bags from airline to airline for connections. In many cases, that is not done today. You must pick up checked bags, haul them to check in, and go through security again. There used to be Skycaps to help passengers move their luggage about in the airport (distances can be long). I haven't seen a Skycap in a long time. Thus, many cruisers have an interest in packing as light as possible, which necessitates having onboard laundry done.

I don't think anybody wants to degrade the benefits of Platinum SSS members by making any of their benefits free to everybody. But as posted above a great many lines offer a flat rate laundry package that is at less cost than having laundry done at the per-piece rate. Paul Gauguin does it. MSC does it. And many other lines do it. I think it is in poor taste that Regent does not. It shows that Regent does not understand the problems we have getting to the ship (those described above any many others). The laundry packages we've experienced on other lines are not cheap, but according to my math they cost less than having everything done per piece. If additional personnel are required, the income for the package charge could be used to hire more. And having a pre-sold laundry package would allow the ship's management to better plan personnel allocation for the cruise.

DB - I agree that the extra (and sometimes arbitrary) baggage charges are an issue. Especially so if you're connecting from somewhere more distant than the coasts, like Colorado. :D

For example, when we returned from our last cruise with my in-laws, my wife and I got checked all the way through from Stockholm to Charlotte via Chicago...but her parents only got checked from Stockholm to Chicago and had to recheck their bags from Chicago to Newark - and pay the excess baggage fees. Made no sense whatsoever. Granted we were switching from SAS to UA, but my wife and I were in the same boat and no fees. Frustrating, to say the least.

As to your assumption that Regent doesn't understand our troubles getting to the ship - I'd guess that they very much understand, but they don't feel that the cost of fixing it is worth it. I'm also pretty sure that just bringing on more crew to handle increased laundry is an issue as much as having the machinery to do it. I haven't seen that part of the ship, but my guess would be that it's already packed pretty tight, and stuffing in some additional commercial machines isn't an easy (or cheap) fix. That might be something they look at on their new build or the next refurbs on the existing ships, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For me it comes back to the overall trip. Laundry is such a small part of it, really. I just factor in another $250 or so and/or plan an afternoon in the laundry with a book and a drink or three. Little known secret on Explorer? The laundry on deck 12 is almost always empty since there are so few cabins up there. Don't tell anyone... ;)

UUNetBill,

I sort of agree, in that we always seem to get a bunch of ship's credits on Regent that we can spend on laundry. and still have some left over. To me, it is only that at Regent's price point, they shouldn't make laundry a "profit center" -- especially when many lesser lines offer at least an affordable package. To me, it is just sort of tacky. And I think of those who may not get all those credits.

UUNetBill,

I sort of agree, in that we always seem to get a bunch of ship's credits on Regent that we can spend on laundry. and still have some left over. To me, it is only that at Regent's price point, they shouldn't make laundry a "profit center" -- especially when many lesser lines offer at least an affordable package. To me, it is just sort of tacky. And I think of those who may not get all those credits.

DB - I don't know if it's so much a 'profit center' as a way to manage capacity. I'd be interested to know what percentage of passengers actually send their laundry out - and of those who do, is it just shirts and blouses or every piece of laundry? I can't help but think it's a huge resource drain to handle all the socks and underthings for everyone on board. Of course, I don't have the data to back me up so it's really all just guessing on my part. But I still think if they implemented a laundry package for all passengers they'd need to add more machines and staff.

But who knows? Without the actual numbers, it's all conjecture, isn't it?