Travel Insurance recommendation

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company that has plans that include pre-existing conditions? Are there any special rules for purchasing that particular plan?

I like Allianz as their customer service seems great and they are definitely competitive. Pre-existing coverage only works if you buy the plan within 14 days of booking any part of your trip.

What I have done is buy the plan based on my initial purchase, be it hotel, plane, or cruise, then amend later to add the total dates involved and cost.

As said in previous post, go to insure my trip and filter the results to include pre-existing conditions. As I posted on another thread, CSA custom luxe covers pre-existing conditions and you do not have to purchase it until final payment.(anytime prior to final payment or within 24 hours of final payment. You must be able to travel AT TIME OF PURCHASE. The company is rated well.

As said in previous post, go to insure my trip and filter the results to include pre-existing conditions. As I posted on another thread, CSA custom luxe covers pre-existing conditions and you do not have to purchase it until final payment.(anytime prior to final payment or within 24 hours of final payment. You must be able to travel AT TIME OF PURCHASE. The company is rated well.

This company may not work for us. My daughter had surgery 2 days ago and we plan on booking with in the next few days for a June cruise.

I know when we book we will have to pay in full so I will have to buy the insurance within the 24 hour period.

Ugh! So I can't even book a vacation and for her to look forward to?! That's annoying.

Correct.

Unfortunately, we found this out after DH had to cancel his first cruise (ever) major B-day/pre-retirement holiday.

It was also the first time we had travel insurance, so although we had to cancel with less than 2 weeks to go, we were reimbursed for the 100% penalty.

This policy was thanks to Steve at www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and also thanks to those here on CC whose recommendations about Steve's company that I had read a few years ago.

So once DH was stable, although our travel was then restricted to ferrying him to doctors and clinics, I couldn't wait to plan a replacement trip.

Kudos to Steve (again!): I told him we wanted to insure another trip for about 6 months later.

He replied, "Is <DH> able to travel now?"

Me: "No, this trip isn't until half a year from now!"

Steve: "You must be able to travel on the day you take out the insurance."

Fortunately, we were able to get our full deposit back.

It took another 3 months until DH had medical clearance.

And to be SURE, in terms of insurance, at the visit his physician said, "Okay, *now* you can travel - have fun!", we had him write a note (that very day, right at that visit) along the lines of "<name> is able to travel without restrictions, including no restrictions due to <previous medical emergency>."

And *then* we place the deposit.

Actually, we then placed several deposits for future trips :)

We were chomping at the bit to get going again.

Added: You can book the trip but you can't get insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
First timer here... What is pre-existing for travel insurance?

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

You might want to check

www.TripInsuranceStore.com and read through some of their web pages for general overviews.

And don't hesitate to CALL them, as they are great about explaining things to newbies (like we were a couple of years ago!).

If one wants travel insurance that would kick in based upon any medical situations (as opposed to things like delayed flights), then one needs to consider if there are any "pre-existing conditions" (medical "conditions" that one *already* has, such as high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc.).

NOTE: The definitions can vary from policy to policy, in terms of "how stable" it must be.

But... if one gets a policy that "waives the exclusion for pre-existing conditions" (that's sort of a double negative that is *good*!), then it does not matter.

The only concern then is that one must be "able to travel" on the day the insurance policy is started (first purchased).

Usually, one needs to start the insurance coverage within about 10-20 days of the FIRST payment, but there is at least one other insurer that offers this as late as within 24 hours of final payment (defined narrowly).

Ask Steve or his colleagues at TripInsuranceStore about it, and they can help explain how/whether this would make sense for you.

(y) (y) for www.insuremytrip.com

It's quite easy to filter all the policies to find those that cover pre-exiting conditions and fit any of your other requirements such as budget.

OK, 2 questions...

Better to go through insuremytrip.com or let my TA handle it? I'm sure when I go to book my October cruise to New England/Canada in the next day or so, my TA is going to offer it. Am I better off to say "no thanks" and handle it on my own?

2nd question...I did take a look at insuremytrip and they offered insurance from several companies. Any I should avoid?

Hi

For info

Location , England UK

Nationwide Bank

I started to hunt around for insurance for our World trip on Arcadia in Jan 2018, was finding it expensive with my previous blood pressure and high cholesterol condition. Then i decided to ask my banks free European insurance for an upgrade. Worked out a lot better at £150 to upgrade to worldwide and covers our trip to Cyprus in July.

Job done

Paul

Edited by paultay23
Experienced user recommendation...

Hi

I started to hunt around for insurance for our World trip on Arcadia in Jan 2018, was finding it expensive with my previous blood pressure and high cholesterol condition. Then i decided to ask my banks free European insurance for an upgrade. Worked out a lot better at £150 to upgrade to worldwide and covers our trip to Cyprus in July.

Job done

Paul

It's apparently VERY different for travel insurance, depending upon country of residence.

It's not only cost; it's very different types of policies.

One thing is really important here, and those posting for the first time don't realize it... where do you live (country). If it's not stated in the initial post or in the "location of the Poster", then a lot of responses could head off in the wrong direction in terms of the needs of the person asking.

Sometimes aspects of other countries' coverages seem really wonderful... and then we read about something that wouldn't work well for us at all.

There are also some regulated differences among the USA states, but those don't tend to be dramatic, except for a few specific types of policies that aren't available in some states.

Cheers GeezerCouple.... edited

Sorry - that comment was not "directed" towards you the way it may have seemed.

You had the Leicester part in your "location", which did suggest the UK (or at least not the USA, which does get a lot of the action here).

Some people have cities, some have countries, some don't have any real location hint, and it's usually not quite so relevant.

But travel insurance policies can vary so much, even within a country - or at least, within the USA.

Add differing countries into the mix, and not only are some comments less helpful, but they can lead someone chase after something not available to them.

Nice that you added your bank's name, so others know where to inquire if needed.

And... Welcome to CruiseCritic!

I noticed your location, but not joining date or number of posts.

(So double emphasis that I didn't intend the way my post appeared!)

In general, CC is an AMAZING resource.

And we found out about Travel Insurance (and TripInsuranceStore) here!

Then we took out a policy before our first "big" trip.

... and then DH got sick with less than 2 weeks to go.

That one claim will pay for the premiums for years of coverage.

(He did recover, but for several months, the only "travel" that we did was when I ferried him among the various doctors and hospitals. Not quite what we had in mind initially for that time :()

Enjoy all of your travels!

I purchased medical coverage only for all six of us (62,54,45,22,17,15) for a 9 day trip for $131. I found it kind of hidden behind all of the comprehensive trip insurance policies on insuremytrip.com and it suits my needs perfectly. The policy is through AIG.

Recently my son had a $4000 medical bill while traveling domestically and I had a $700 bill traveling internationally. I have never purchased any type of travel insurance before, but my husband was concerned about my 62 year old mother, so I said I would look into it. $133, no brainer!