Taormina

crepe

It's the same anywhere in the world - except for the wine! Suggest Mt Etna for a different experience. Be prepared for cool/cold weather. Or get a taxi to Taormina and walk around - Roman ruins, great views, nice picturesque small town. Plenty of taxis available there to get back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The town itself is beautiful. Lots of places to stroll and to have lunch.

There is also an Ancient Theater in the city.

Certainly you could arrange to go wine tasting.

We have visited there several times.

On our last visit with had our adult son and daughter in law with us and we did a private Godfather's Tour as well. It might sound touristy but as dalliowner said it was not. We enjoyed absolutely stunning views from charming towns and had a great time. We combined it with a few hours at Taormina. Many private tour companies offer this and I would recommend it. Views are breathtaking if you get up to those small towns.

Keith

Just to add that you don't need a taxi to get up to Taormina - the ship anchors off and runs tenders in, then a coach shuttle up to the town (quite a hilly ride). A private tour could meet you at the tender dock, or IMO Taormina itself is nice enough to walk round, look at the shops and view and buildings, and maybe have a coffee or lunch ashore. But others will advise better on wine tours than I could.

A few weeks ago I did the SB tour to Mt Etna and loved it, something unusual and a great experience. Others I know did the SB excursion to the hilltop village of Castelmola and enjoyed it also. I do not know of any wine tours in this region.

Here are some photos to wet your appetite.

Sailing into Taormina with Mt Etna in the background.

36080390564_e8cf288d1e_b.jpg

From the bus on the way up to Mt Etna.

36774900381_a87a4d6147_b.jpg

You don't need to walk all the way up, first there is a gondola, then a 4WD.

36774907851_40d382515b_b.jpg

36744165242_668210bf9f_b.jpg

Crater from the 2002 eruption.

36744176302_87192a0f53_b.jpg

Looking towards the current eruption.

36744182482_e514b74243_b.jpg

If you have never been to Taromina it would be a nice place to visit for a day -- do visit the Greek Theater. And a hike from there up to Castelmola is great exercise.

But after two visits there the next time we went we arranged a private tour with Sicily Life to visit some small villages, the Alcanterra Gorge, a short hike up the lovely untorusity east side of Etna and then a fun wine tasting at the Gambino Winery overlooking the water and Taormina.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few weeks ago I did the SB tour to Mt Etna and loved it, something unusual and a great experience. Others I know did the SB excursion to the hilltop village of Castelmola and enjoyed it also. I do not know of any wine tours in this region

Here are some photos to wet your appetite.

Great photos Allan, thanks for posting:)

We did a ` Godfather ` tour many years ago. Went the places the film was made, it was very non touristy.I do not know if they still do it.

dalliowner - my Mom and I did the "Godfather" tour as well. We did a walking tour before we got to the home. They had a lovely welcome reception with a quartet and we had a wonderful lunch served down in the cellar. Afterward, we all were invited to go upstairs for a photo op from the balcony. The owner had Godfather II playing while we were there. This was one of the best tours that Seabourn has done.

• 1 month later...

We took a Seaboard tour at Taormina which included the wonderful village of Catellmola which was up on top of high cliffs and a short distance from Taormina. While our guide was very knowledgable, I feel that he did not do the entire promised tour--as he did not walk the group to the amphitheater in Taormina. It is a charming town--but very busy with tourists.

If we have another trip to this port, I would definitely want to spend more time in Castellmola which has lovely narrow streets and spectacular views.