If cruise line gives option to cancel for weather, will trip insurance still pay out?

Carguylee

So I am wondering, if your cruise line gives you the option to cancel and get a refund or cruise credit. Would you still be able to file a trip insurance claim? I'm sure it still depends on the policy but in general does anyone know? I couldn't find anything specific in my trip insurance documentation.

No. Insurance doesn't allow you to "double dip." If you are offered cancellation with a refund or credit, you have no loss. There's nothing to file a claim for.

Other than possibly flights? That would still be taken care of by trip insurance correct?

Other than possibly flights? That would still be taken care of by trip insurance correct?

Didn't address flights as you only asked about the cruise line cancelling. I don't know what your policy covered. Some trip insurance will not refund your airfare when the cruise is cancelled, because you don't have a total loss. After paying a change fee, you still have an airfare credit. They may cover the change fee, but not refund you anything else because the change fee would be your only loss. You'll have to call your insurance company and see what coverage you have.

Didn't address flights as you only asked about the cruise line cancelling. I don't know what your policy covered. Some trip insurance will not refund your airfare when the cruise is cancelled, because you don't have a total loss. After paying a change fee, you still have an airfare credit. They may cover the change fee, but not refund you anything else because the change fee would be your only loss. You'll have to call your insurance company and see what coverage you have.

Thanks for the input

Didn't address flights as you only asked about the cruise line cancelling. I don't know what your policy covered. Some trip insurance will not refund your airfare when the cruise is cancelled, because you don't have a total loss.
This. The way I've heard it relayed, if the flights still flew and you could still have taken the flights. I know that that puts in you in the position of having to make a vacation out of finding a hotel and waiting out a storm that closed a cruise port, but that's the way some insurance coverage is worded.