Trip insurance in case of war?

hjg0989

I just put a deposit down for a 40 day Spring cruise from Sydney to Vancouver, B.C. with stops along NZ, South Pacific islands and Hawaii.

This mess with North Korea has me wondering what would happen if war did break out. If a cruise line cancels a cruise due to war (or any reason) would I need trip insurance to cover the expense of the cruise or would the cruise line reimburse the cost?

War aside, I can get 'cancel for any reason' from John Hancock (bronze) for $572 for a cruise that is costs about $8,600. We would only recoup 75% of the cruise cost if we cancelled. Our medical is covered for overseas emergencies so it is really just cancellation I'm concerned about. The insurance cost seems pretty steep.

You need to read the insurance certificate - not the web page, but the actual detailed description of the coverage. Every policy is different so you need to make sure your policy covers your specific concerns.

In general trip insurance is meant to cover you if you need to cancel your trip for medical reasons or leave the cruise early. If the cruise line cancels the cruise then they would refund your cruise fare but not your airfare. You would have to read the fine print to see if your insurance covers your other expenses if the cruise is canceled by the cruise line. Sometimes they only pay if it is canceled for weather-related reasons.

Thank you for your replies.

Kamloops50m I am going on a Holland America Cruise, but the trip insurance is through John Hancock. The quote for a Holland American trip insurance was close to $900, which is too much money for insurance for a 75% return, IMO.

SG65CB, you wrote: "If the cruise line cancels the cruise then they would refund your cruise fare but not your airfare." Thank you, this seems like a fair approach and answers my question as to who is on the hook for the cruise if the cruise line cancels.

Would it not be more relaxing to just accept that if an area was deemed unsuitable, the cruise ship would simply reroute, why would the cruise be canceled? I like to think that perhaps no itinerary is carved in stone?

Some travel insurance policies will cover this, but you have to read them carefully. If your cruise was cancelled, the cruiseline would refund or offer cruise credit. I would think usually, they'll just change the itinerary.

This is why right now, decided not to book a cruise in that area.

Would it not be more relaxing to just accept that if an area was deemed unsuitable, the cruise ship would simply reroute, why would the cruise be canceled? I like to think that perhaps no itinerary is carved in stone?

I had not thought of a reroute. However, if a war breaks out between N. Korea and the US it would be one heck of a reroute.

Thank you for your post.