Booking on-board

Sheltieluv

While on the Mariner in Alaska in June, we booked a bucket list (and for us very expensive) cruise to Asia in 2019.

We were also able to book for our friends who were not on board . We had waited several months to book while onboard, continuing to monitor availability as this appears to be a very popular itinerary.

The biggest perk for us was that we were only required to pay a deposit of $500 per person which is less than the usual deposit. We also received a discount of $400 on our G Suite.(I believe that more expensive suites receive a larger discount.) After disembarking we transferred the booking to a travel agent for additional perks.

Advantages of booking on-board:

• Additional savings (amount varies depending on suite grade and length of voyage. This saving is in addition to any other savings already offered on the voyage e.g. SSS savings)
  • Reduced deposit
  • $100 shipboard credit per booking (to be used on the cruise you are on when making the booking)
  • Best price guarantee (i.e. if you see that the cruise price is subsequently discounted or extra amenities are added then you can claim a 'price-match' - from the day you book up until the day of sailing)
  • Full refund of deposit if you cancel within 30 days of booking
  • One time change of voyage (i.e. you can change to a different cruise with no fees, and will still benefit from an 'on-board' saving on the new cruise. Additional deposit may however be required for the new cruise)
  • Booking transferred to your TA (i.e. you can still benefit from any additional discounts/perks that your TA offers)

Notes:

1. The above were the Ts&Cs in place in August this year. Check with the Cruise Consultant on-board for any variations
  2. The 'price-match' after final payment will be in the form of shipboard credit, suite upgrade or a future cruise credit

Disadvantages of booking on-board:

• :confused: :confused: :confused:

Another factor, depends where home is!

Onboard bookings are subject to US terms which are better than UK terms regarding cancellations.

You bring up a good point. Unfortunately, most responses are based on rules/laws for the U,S. and Canada since this is where most Regent passengers are from. Speaking for myself, I try to either not respond or respond with correct information for people in the UK. Unfortunately, too many people do not show the country where they reside in their post.

Flossie

You are correct. Much more comprehensive than my response

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree but she is reciting the rules for those of us in North America. It is likely different in the U.K. and other parts of the world.

Agree but she is reciting the rules for those of us in North America. It is likely different in the U.K. and other parts of the world.

Incorrect.

I was very careful in crafting my response to ensure that the information given was applicable to both North American and UK cruisers (and I assume those from other parts of the world)

As Jonoro7 rightly says, the added advantage for those of us from the UK is that we can cancel an on board booking before final payment with a nominal admin fee rather than forfeiting our full deposit (as would be the case when booking from the UK)

Incorrect.

I was very careful in crafting my response to ensure that the information given was applicable to both North American and UK cruisers (and I assume those from other parts of the world)

As Jonoro7 rightly says, the added advantage for those of us from the UK is that we can cancel an on board booking before final payment with a nominal admin fee rather than forfeiting our full deposit (as would be the case when booking from the UK)

Good! It would have been helpful to let us know that this was the case. Apparently Jonoro7 also read your post the same as I did since they mentioned that it depends upon what part of the world you live in.

Good! It would have been helpful to let us know that this was the case.

Since I was responding to the TS/OP, who is from North America, I did not see the point in confusing matters by adding a benefit that is very specific to those of us booking in the UK. I tried to make my response as clear and generic as possible.

I am extremely sorry that my post was not in accordance with your wishes, TC2. Hopefully others found it useful :*

Since I was responding to the TS/OP, who is from North America, I did not see the point in confusing matters by adding a benefit that is very specific to those of us booking in the UK. I tried to make my response as clear and generic as possible.

I am extremely sorry that my post was not in accordance with your wishes, TC2. Hopefully others found it useful :*

This has nothing whatsoever to do with anyones "wishes". It is for clarification purposes. Obviously one other poster assumed that your post was for North America.

Speaking of clarification -- in one post you stated that you were "very careful in crafting my response to ensure that the information given was applicable to both North American and UK cruisers ....." and now you indicate that you were only responding to the TS that lives in in North America. A bit confusing.

It is always helpful when we post Regent policies. Sometimes it is difficult to remember that our "audience" is from many parts of the world.

Again, I profusely apologise for all this confusion I appear to be causing by posting a succint, simple answer to someone's request for information :o :rolleyes:

In the future I will not bother. This Board is just becoming far too hostile, rather than what used to be an enjoyable information exchange :(

Again, I profusely apologise for all this confusion I appear to be causing by posting a succint, simple answer to someone's request for information :o :rolleyes:

In the future I will not bother. This Board is just becoming far too hostile, rather than what used to be an enjoyable information exchange :(

Flossie009, yes indeed I guess you failed as have I on many occasions. There is apparently a rule book on what it is okay to post on CC and what is not okay to post that the judge uses. The rules seem to change depending on who is posting as best I can tell. I’m still trying to get a copy of the rules.

But I understand from another thread that compassion is a force behind posts on CC so I am ever so hopeful.:halo:

Please please please KEEP bothering. I find your posts extremely interesting and informative.

I think some posters may have too much time on their hands........i think i will leave that sentence there.

Flossie009, yes indeed I guess you failed as have I on many occasions. There is apparently a rule book on what it is okay to post on CC and what is not okay to post that the judge uses. The rules seem to change depending on who is posting as best I can tell. I’m still trying to get a copy of the rules.

But I understand from another thread that compassion is a force behind posts on CC so I am ever so hopeful.:halo:

Could you please pass on the rules if you find them...cheers! :D

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Am not sure if we will book while on board or not, but now I know what to expect in the way of advantages and some possible disadvantages.

Did any of you experience "pressure" to book while speaking to the consultant? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting his or her time (or mine) when I don't want to make a quick decision involving a lot of $$.:)

Please please please KEEP bothering. I find your posts extremely interesting and informative.

I think some posters may have too much time on their hands........i think i will leave that sentence there.

We very much enjoy your thoughtful and interesting comments. Don't bail out yet Flossie.

We very much enjoy your thoughtful and interesting comments. Don't bail out yet Flossie.

Yes, we enjoy your posts, Flossie. "Pots and kettles" so apropo. I do think most posters appreciate all perspectives whether they are in agreement or not. I hope the Regent threads can return to a cordial, collegial and respectful tone.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Am not sure if we will book while on board or not, but now I know what to expect in the way of advantages and some possible disadvantages.

Did any of you experience "pressure" to book while speaking to the consultant? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting his or her time (or mine) when I don't want to make a quick decision involving a lot of $$.:)

Absolutely no pressure. You can just go in and ask questions. They make zero commission. The bookings go to your TA

Good to know. I did wonder if perhaps they needed to meet some sort of quota.

Just a little bit of advice-- the consultants usually schedule appointments. Best to get one. That way your time is reserved, and people won't be gathering to book. You won't feel rushed that way. Also, review some brochures to have an idea where you might wish to travel.

We always book onboard. But we do our homework before. Good perks.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Sheila

Flossie another plea for you to stay put.

You bring humour and balanced views on this board and always apply tact and diplomacy in your style of writing.

These boards would not be the same without you.:( Jean.

I second that!

As far as pressure from the consultants, there is none. In fact, just the opposite.