Is the Unlimited Drink Package worth the price??

It was for us on our first 9 day cruise with NCL, but then we didn't see anything else we wanted with the offerings (didn't need the excursion, 3rd or 4th in the room, or wifi). We also found it quite refreshing not to keep track of our drink costs per day and to try things we would have never tried. We aren't heavy drinkers, but having the ability to have a mimosa at breakfast, a few beers at the pool, a couple glasses of wine a dinner and an after dinner drink at the show gave us freedom. Wow, after writing that it seems like a lot of drinks!!! [emoji51]. It really gave us a total relaxation experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am scheduled to go on a 14 day cruise to the southern caribbean on Norwegian Breakaway and was planning on ordering

the UDP. I was just wondering how many cocktails a day would i have to drink to break even?

If you are getting it as a free at sea perk and just paying the gratuities, yes, it is worth it if you have 2 drinks a day.

If you mean to buy it at full price of $89 pp/pd plus 18% gratuities, then absolutely not! That is an insane price. It would cost almost $3000 for 2 people on a 14 day cruise.

I think I figured out it was 8 drinks a day to break even, so you need 9 or 10 or more to make it "worth it." But Free at Sea it's the best. Because the drinks are soooo expensive. I can drink 8 or 10 on a sea day but not on a port day. So that means I have to drink 15 or 16 on a sea day to make up for the port days!

Many Thanks for the tips & advice :) it's very much appreciated . We're actually staying in the haven and the UDP was an option as one of the perks, even though i think the 18% gratuities is ridiculous, I'm sure we're definitely going for it.

I was actually looking at some of the cocktails and my jaw just dropped looking at the prices, $10.50 for a Cobalt Blue, $9.50 for a margarita, Since this is a 14 day cruise, I might actually try every cocktail on every menu that's under $15.

I don't think it is worth it most of the time even if you get it as a "free" perk because it is not really free.

I just checked the price on a balcony on a 7 day cruise.

The sailaway price with no "free" beverage package was $799 a person = $1598 plus tax and fees.

The price with the "free" beverage package was $1199 a person + $224.28 gratuities for a total of $2622.88.

This is $1024.88 more for the "free" drink package for 7 days.

And this is with 4 port days when you won't be drinking nearly as much.

I don't think it is worth it most of the time even if you get it as a "free" perk because it is not really free.

The sailaway price with no "free" beverage package was $799 a person = $1598 plus tax and fees.

The price with the "free" beverage package was $1199 a person + $224.28 gratuities for a total of $2622.88.

That's not an entirely fair comparison because with a balcony you would get two Free At Sea perks, not just the UBP.

While I do look at the component costs of a cruise, I think the best approach is to look for the best value given the total cost of the cruise package/experience. If I can sail from a convenient port of departure, to ports of call I want to visit, in a time frame and duration that fits my life schedule, with similar package features, e.g., stateroom type, dining & drink options, and excursions, but have to pay $100 more per night on one line vs. another, what's the better value? Maybe I'm a bit more analytical than others, but I look at the total cost of the vacation in advance - travel to/from port, cruise price, cost of all amenities, insurance, gratuities, etc. While Carnival is frequently cast as the budget cruise-line, I have found that NCL typically provides a lower cost-per-day in a head-to-head comparison. So whether the UBP is included by the cruise line, or purchased separately, is moot in the larger picture. As EmeraldCoastCruisers suggested, it is "refreshing not to keep track of drink costs" or having to drink more on sea days to squeeze out the value of buying the drink package, but rather sit back and enjoy the fact that you are having the cruise experience you want at an overall cost that is less, i.e., the best value.

And this is with 4 port days when you won't be drinking nearly as much.

Depending on when you book the sailaway rates aren't always available. I book early and prefer to pick my room so always end up with a rate with a perk anyway, so the service charge is a small add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many Thanks for the tips & advice :) it's very much appreciated . We're actually staying in the haven and the UDP was an option as one of the perks, even though i think the 18% gratuities is ridiculous, I'm sure we're definitely going for it.

I was actually looking at some of the cocktails and my jaw just dropped looking at the prices, $10.50 for a Cobalt Blue, $9.50 for a margarita, Since this is a 14 day cruise, I might actually try every cocktail on every menu that's under $15.

Just a minor adjustment to the perk codes - you have UDP should be UBP (D for dining and B for beverage)

Also note the UDP is for the most part history it is now SDP (Specialty Dining Package)

In most cases regarding suites havens gardens the upper end staterooms all the perks are offered without

further to do although the 18% gratuities are still applied.

But with your Haven ticket this is all included except the infernal 18% !

But with your Haven ticket this is all included except the infernal 18% !

Not automatically included. Suite/Haven guests have the option of all, some, or none of the promos.

It used to be "all promos" but now, the promos must be selected. If a person isn't careful, it's possible to accidentally pick no promos while booking the Haven.

We had the option of all of the promos but some weren't worth it for us. We're staying in the The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa, 3 adults with 2 toddlers. The first 2 adults got the UBP.

Then the answer is $16.02 worth of alcohol every day (18% of $89) per person, or about two cocktails or two-and-a-half beers to break even.

Now THAT'S why you choose the UBP. Have you seen the thread I updated with the downloadable spreadsheet of drinks?

I haven't checked it out yet. Is it possible to post the link?

I also made a drink list for myself that I might actually stick to . . lol. Not sure if the prices have been updated but that's what i found on the boards.

Chocolate Raspberry Martini ($8.75)

Hamakaze ($6.75)

Red Velvet ($11.95)

North of Easy ($7.50)

Mad Men Cosmopolitan ($9.95)

Zombie ($10.95)

Emperor’s Nectar ($9.95)

Tequila Sunrise ($6.50)

Mimosa

Grey Goose Electric Lemonade

Fabulous Fizz

White Cloud ($6.75)

Nutty Irishman ($6.75)

Mudslide ($7.00)

Cobalt Blue ($10.50)

Snowball Colada ($9.75)

Sunset Memories (8.75)

Going Coco Nuts ($8.75)

The Rockettini ($8.00)

The Irish Daley ($6.25)

Oak & Ginger ($5.75)

Rum Cake Martini (8.50)

Rum Runner ($6.50)

Blue Kamikaze ($6.25)

Jolly Rancher ($6.25)

B-52 ($6.25)

Red Snapper ($6.25)

Mind Eraser ($6.25)

Lavender Patch ($11.95)

Pineapple Coconut Mojito ($9.95)

Raspberry Guava Mojito (9.95)

Coco Mojito ($9.95)

Pacific Ocean ($11.95)

Brandy Alexander

Grasshopper

White Russian

Pink Lady

Let me know what you think of the list and if I should add anything else.

I am scheduled to go on a 14 day cruise to the southern caribbean on Norwegian Breakaway and was planning on ordering

the UDP. I was just wondering how many cocktails a day would i have to drink to break even?

What date are you sailing?

We are "hardly at all" drinkers. The first cruise we didn't get that perk and our drink bill came to $150, this included our daughters virgin drinks. We were very conservative though, not even a drink a day. The second cruise we took it and at $90 per person you would break even at 1 drink per day if you like the martinis and such like I do. Beers maybe 2 a day. So we ended up having a few drinks each per day and it was well worth it.

When are you scheduled to go? Norwegian almost ALWAYS has their "Free at Sea" promotion running, and the drink package is always one of the options. It's actually the best value, in my opinion. Now, as we all know, nothing is ever truly "free," but for a one-week cruise (which is all I've ever sailed), that taxes and fees that you're responsible for amount to ~$100/per person. So, figure for a two week cruise, it's likely to be ~$200.

Reason I ask is that if you are ahead of your final payment date, you should be able to cancel and rebook (though I'd verify this through your travel agent, if you have one first!!!....I've never done it, but I wait for those juicy promos).

So, at the reduced price (~$100/week), it's quite easy to get your money's worth. 1 cocktail is probably $10-12, so if you have one/day, you're already at $70 for the week. Now, let's say you have a drink lounging by the pool and a glass of wine with dinner every night. Now you're about $40 ahead. This is why I ALWAYS snag that as a perk when it's offered.

For the full price, though....that's hard to hit. I don't even know what they're selling it for anymore because I always snag it as a promo. At the end of the day, think about how much you will drink. Rule of thumb: $10-12/alcohol, $7-9 for beer/wine, $2-3 for soda. Only you know your habits.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

I haven't checked it out yet. Is it possible to post the link?

I also made a drink list for myself that I might actually stick to . . lol. Not sure if the prices have been updated but that's what i found on the boards.

Chocolate Raspberry Martini ($8.75)

Hamakaze ($6.75)

Red Velvet ($11.95)

North of Easy ($7.50)

Mad Men Cosmopolitan ($9.95)

Zombie ($10.95)

Emperor’s Nectar ($9.95)

Tequila Sunrise ($6.50)

Mimosa

Grey Goose Electric Lemonade

Fabulous Fizz

White Cloud ($6.75)

Nutty Irishman ($6.75)

Mudslide ($7.00)

Cobalt Blue ($10.50)

Snowball Colada ($9.75)

Sunset Memories (8.75)

Going Coco Nuts ($8.75)

The Rockettini ($8.00)

The Irish Daley ($6.25)

Oak & Ginger ($5.75)

Rum Cake Martini (8.50)

Rum Runner ($6.50)

Blue Kamikaze ($6.25)

Jolly Rancher ($6.25)

B-52 ($6.25)

Red Snapper ($6.25)

Mind Eraser ($6.25)

Lavender Patch ($11.95)

Pineapple Coconut Mojito ($9.95)

Raspberry Guava Mojito (9.95)

Coco Mojito ($9.95)

Pacific Ocean ($11.95)

Brandy Alexander

Grasshopper

White Russian

Pink Lady

Let me know what you think of the list and if I should add anything else.

Your list of drinks looks good! BUT, your list of prices is so out-dated for NCL, that the recent pricing will give you "sticker shock"! (Think $5+/- per drink in most cases!!!)

depending how expensive your drinks usually are. For us, we drink about 5 or 6 a day and that includes wine. It is still a good deal and it is nice to know: 2-you can experiment with drinks you normally would not try and you have your booze bill paid up front. If you are only going to have, maybe a martini before dinner and a couple glasses of wine a day, it wouldn't be a great deal.

If it is part of the perk or promo package it is a fantastic deal. I would rather have the drink package then internet time or excursion allowance.

Edited by newmexicoNita