Cancellation Question Due to Serious Family Illness

denimore2000

My dad has lung cancer and it has progressed very rapidly since his diagnosis late August.

The docs say that he will probably pass in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Our cruise date is Nov 5 from Rome. We were going to go to Rome the week before.

I have cancellation insurance with my travel insurance carrier and they told me that I have to try and get refunds and they will look after the difference,

I read online that it is possible to get a full refund or even credit if Norwegian is advised in writing 2 weeks prior.

Has anyone had this experience and my condolences if you have?

I read online that it is possible to get a full refund or even credit if Norwegian is advised in writing 2 weeks prior.

This is 100% inaccurate. You will simply cancel your cruise and be subject to any refund due per the cancellation penalties. Then submit the non-refunded portion to your insurance for reimbursement.

I had this happen with my mother-in-law. (My condolences to you.) I notified the cruise line that I was canceling the cruise and then I had to get a letter from my travel agent verifying the cancellation to give to the insurance company. Same with airline tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

We had to cancel a trip 3 years to Alaska with in 30 days of sailing ago due to my wife's pre-existing condition as she was hospitalized for 2 weeks and then needed surgery sooner then expected. I called NCL and the the airline to cancel. Even though it was non refundable the airline I used put the money in a travel bank for future use. It was supposed to be what we paid for the flight ($800 minus the change fees $150x 2 that the airline charges) $500. As I was cancelling the agent said she was sorry we wouldn't be flying with them and I mentioned it was because my wife was in the hospital awaiting surgery. She then waved the change fee. Both the NCL line and the airline sent me proof of cancellation that I submitted to the insurance company. The insurance company refunded our cruise cost minus the amount that was refunded to us due to when we cancelled as well as the entire $800 for the flight even though it was sitting in a travel bank for future use with in a year.

Yes there have been some cases where a cruise line has refunded or credited someone but those cases are few and far between and more then they have to do under the contract of carriage you agreed to when you purchased the cruise.

So sorry for what you are going through; it is such a horrible disease.

We had to cancel a B2B in January at the last minute, when my mom became ill suddenly. We got back the port fees, prepaid gratuity and then submitted the rest to the travel insurance purchased through NCL. My mom signed the medical record release but the insurance accepted the physician's statement and I also included the hospital discharge summary.

I'm sure that the paperwork with the insurance is the last thing on your mind, but attend to it quickly. I used frequent flyer miles for the air and figured I had lost the miles. I didn't realize my credit card provided travel protection which covered the miles. Mom's doing better so fingers crossed, she and I are booked on the Escape in December. When booking the flight, I mentioned what happened in January and the agent told me I could pay $175 and have the miles restored and also told me that my credit card probably provided insurance. When I called them, the insurance agent told me it's been longer than 6 months but to try filing anyway. Since the miles were restored perhaps insurance will pay the fee. If not, it was a lesson learned.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. It’s been a bit of a journey as it always is when someone is very ill but my dad’s condition has improved enough so that we feel we can go on our trip. So hopefully he will hold his own and my daughter who is expecting my second grandchild is a little late.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. It’s been a bit of a journey as it always is when someone is very ill but my dad’s condition has improved enough so that we feel we can go on our trip. So hopefully he will hold his own and my daughter who is expecting my second grandchild is a little late.

Happy for you that you can now go on your trip. We are sort of in the same situation. My mother inlaw is dying a very slow death (93 ). Our cruise is in 2 months. We are up in the air about all of it. I would never have booked this cruise had we known she'd be leaving us at this time. We already canceled a cruise several years ago because my son's father was dying.......so these situations can be very stressful. Have a wonderful trip.