$20 trick in Vegas. Does it work for cruise ships?

wrxrob

Here's a stupid first time cruise question.

I've travelled to Las Vegas several times. Normally, I'd book a standard room, then at check-in give a $20 tip when I hand over the credit card and drivers license, asking if there are any complimentary upgrades available. Many times, this would get us upgraded to a better room.

I'm guessing that the cruise ships are usually full. But I thought I'd ask. Is it ever possible to get an upgraded room based on tipping anyone at check-in?

Here's a stupid first time cruise question.

I've travelled to Las Vegas several times. Normally, I'd book a standard room, then at check-in give a $20 tip when I hand over the credit card and drivers license, asking if there are any complimentary upgrades available. Many times, this would get us upgraded to a better room.

I'm guessing that the cruise ships are usually full. But I thought I'd ask. Is it ever possible to get an upgraded room based on tipping anyone at check-in?

When was the last time you were in Vegas and what hotels are you talking about ? Complimentary $20.00 upgrades !! Please don't try this "Old School" routine at the pier..it might be uncomfortable for all involved ;)..But do enjoy your first cruise !!!

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't think it would work either, but it was worth asking ;)

When was the last time you were in Vegas and what hotels are you talking about ? Complimentary $20.00 upgrades !! Please don't try this "Old School" routine at the pier..it might be uncomfortable for all involved ;)..But do enjoy your first cruise !!!

Its not as old school as one might think. Its becoming a new way of life in Vegas, LOL. Last time this worked was at the Four Queens last year. Booked a regular room for $25/night. then a $20 trick got me 8 nights in a jacuzzi suite!

Take a look at this site for success rates

http://www.frontdesktip.com/las-vegas/hotels/

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't think it would work either, but it was worth asking ;)

Its not as old school as one might think. Its becoming a new way of life in Vegas, LOL. Last time this worked was at the Four Queens last year. Booked a regular room for $25/night. then a $20 trick got me 8 nights in a jacuzzi suite!

...Glad you got a "Whale" of a deal in Vegas, But as many have said above...Vegas is no cruiseship... hope you enjoy the cabin you have :)

... Is it ever possible to get an upgraded room based on tipping anyone at check-in?

Sorry not a bit of possibilty of this happening. If you ask for an upgrade at the terminal when you check-in you will pay for it at the current price, which can be pretty hefty. You best chances for an upgrade is to just keep checking the prices for any price drops and upgrade then. It will probably cost you more than $20.00 but still cheaper than waiting until the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry but it's not going to work. The people at the pier - as pointed out above - most likely don't even work for the cruise line. They don't know an interior cabin from a suite and they can't move your cabin. If you want an upgrade call the cruise line and be prepared to pay for it.

Yeah if you want an upgrade just call the cruise line and they will give you good information and deal with your concern...^_^

I had considered asking with more like $100 or $200 in my hand .. to change cabins.

Hey, I say never say never, but now its not going to happen .. I wouldnt try it with $20, maybe $20 X the # of nights you will be on the ship?

I think its a reasonable question that most are just saying their opinion of what would happen, they dont know from asking or trying themselves. Nothing like first hand info. I was planning on asking, but I just didnt post it here.

I had considered asking with more like $100 or $200 in my hand .. to change cabins.

Hey, I say never say never, but now its not going to happen .. I wouldnt try it with $20, maybe $20 X the # of nights you will be on the ship?

I think its a reasonable question that most are just saying their opinion of what would happen, they dont know from asking or trying themselves. Nothing like first hand info. I was planning on asking, but I just didnt post it here.

I was thinking the same...NEVER SAY NEVER. Just like when you were scared to ask your parents for something thinking they would say no, you never know what will happen unless you ask. The only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked.;)

We got a free upgrade from OV to Balcony by being the first to board and first to Purser's desk.

We were placed on a list and were told we were to wait til sail away...

When all were aboard and if there were no-shows in that cat. we would be contacted.

Sure enough, we got a call, offering us a comp. up-grade.

Just so you know, this only happened once for us.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

As the General Manager of a Choice Hotel I can assure you if you slipped any one of my front desk agents a $20.00 and asked for an upgrade you would be instantly accommodated. Since most US hotels will upgrade just for the asking depending on availability. I do like the suggestion to go to the pursers desk and ask. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I work as a front desk manager at a four diamond property in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Our management loves for us to ask everyone if they would like an upgrade for a charge; it usually costs between $30-$80 a night but hey, if you slipped me or any one of my agents a $20.00 bill, you'd better believe you are going to get a suite for free! Too bad the cruises aren't the same, huh? :D

• 4 weeks later...
I work as a front desk manager at a four diamond property in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Our management loves for us to ask everyone if they would like an upgrade for a charge; it usually costs between $30-$80 a night but hey, if you slipped me or any one of my agents a $20.00 bill, you'd better believe you are going to get a suite for free! Too bad the cruises aren't the same, huh? :D

Thanks for the helpful advice!!!

Thanks for the info,we go to Niagara Falls alot.

What an awesome site. After all these years of going to Vegas and just asking for an upgrade and maybe getting a better view, I now know what to do to up the ante. You bet I will do this. As far as a ship, as others said, no way.

• 1 month later...

I'm actually in Vegas right now staying at room in Treasure Island and paid a $20 tip for a room upgrade. I'm staying here for 4 nights so that is only $5/night. I just watched the Mirage volcano explosion from my room. http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1090

Here are the details of my upgrade and even some pictures.

We're flying to LGB in a few days... I don't think I will try the Vegas $20 trick on our cruise.

By all means disregard what all of the so called experts have told you. Offer up a $100.00 sandwich;) they will have you stand off to the side. They will then check on first time cruiser's that have a balcony booked. They will boot them out and put them in an inside cabin:eek: and give you their balcony cabin. The cruise lines always take care of big tippers, they even call them whales just like Vegas.:rolleyes:

By all means disregard what all of the so called experts have told you. Offer up a $100.00 sandwich;) they will have you stand off to the side. They will then check on first time cruiser's that have a balcony booked. They will boot them out and put them in an inside cabin:eek: and give you their balcony cabin. The cruise lines always take care of big tippers, they even call them whales just like Vegas.:rolleyes:

Hope you are only kidding since I am a first time cruiser who has booked a balcony. I think it would be in very poor judgement on the cruise lines part to bump me out of my room. I know if that were to happen I would not be cruising with that particular cruise line again.

Archived