# of cabins sold on a cruise

random question, and hope to not sound rude.. but what does it matter how full or empty the cruise is????

My question was prompted from an extremely quiet thread for our sailing. I was simply wondering if the room sales was sluggish and perhaps that was why so few fellow passengers posted to our thread.

This has nothing to do with it..Our RCI roll call had 4 people on it for our August western med and the ship was sold out..We were only two of a handful of Americans onboard..there's your answer.

This has nothing to do with it..Our RCI roll call had 4 people on it for our August western med and the ship was sold out..We were only two of a handful of Americans onboard..there's your answer.

Thanks. I didn't realize Cruise Critic was primarily an American Tool. All of our previous cruises had very lively threads, so I've been disappointed that this one has been less active. I've learned something each cruise from our fellow passengers on Cruise Critic! Did notice that Princess lowered the price significantly for our cruise/tours yesterday.

Can anyone tell me how to find out how many cabins have been sold on a particular cruise? The thread for our cruise (Sapphire Princess, July 14 Vancouver to Whittier) is really quiet. I was wondering if, perhaps, the cabin sales are sluggish for this sailing.

The roll call for my Cruise on Island Princess from Whittier to Vancouver is also VERY slow. Few people on it and the ones who are on do not bother to read the entries since their last visit as they do not respond yet according to the various travel sites the Cruise is sold out which means there are thousands of folks cruising with us!:eek: So I guess alot of folks just don't participate in the roll calls.

My question was prompted from an extremely quiet thread for our sailing. I was simply wondering if the room sales was sluggish and perhaps that was why so few fellow passengers posted to our thread.

I've always kind of wondered if sales were sluggish they wouldn't buy as much or as varied food. Or the entertainment would be different on an empty ship, and things kind of like that. Or maybe if they're REALLY full - they would run out of things

there is a site I found that shows the percent of cabins sold, and also lists the changes in pricing across all levels of cabins as they happen, however I think it must be attached to a travel agent so it goes against their advertising policy. You do start getting obsessed though watching the prices, but on the bright side, it helped upgrade me from an inside to junior suite when the prices dropped to sell out all the upper rooms and now just insides and some outsides left on our May cruise. maybe search net fish cruise or similar and you might find it.

Kylie

there is a site I found that shows the percent of cabins sold, and also lists the changes in pricing across all levels of cabins as they happen, however I think it must be attached to a travel agent so it goes against their advertising policy. You do start getting obsessed though watching the prices, but on the bright side, it helped upgrade me from an inside to junior suite when the prices dropped to sell out all the upper rooms and now just insides and some outsides left on our May cruise. maybe search net fish cruise or similar and you might find it.

Kylie

What site?

What site?

Try doing a search for the 3 words they said to try a search for...should find it then. I use the same site to watch prices and cabin % sold :D. I didn't know it was linked to a travel agent though, learn something knew everyday.

Try doing a search for the 3 words they said to try a search for...should find it then. I use the same site to watch prices and cabin % sold :D. I didn't know it was linked to a travel agent though, learn something knew everyday.

Could ya be more specific?

Hi, Thanks for posting this information. I checked out the site and I think this will be very helpful the next few months. Can I please get a confirmation of what the % is. Is it sold or unsold? The reason I ask is because the cruise I will be on is the lowest %; yet the prices have only gone up and there are no gty cabins available. All other cruises on this ship now have gty cabins available. They are currently offering 55+ discount to bring the cost down; which did help my parents. I am looking at the Rhapsody to Alaska for August 3rd out of Seattle. There will be 5 cabins in our group; so changing dates is not an option at this point; but at least 3 of the 4 other cabins would love to save the money with a gty cabin. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Thanks for posting this information. I checked out the site and I think this will be very helpful the next few months. Can I please get a confirmation of what the % is. Is it sold or unsold? The reason I ask is because the cruise I will be on is the lowest %; yet the prices have only gone up and there are no gty cabins available. All other cruises on this ship now have gty cabins available. They are currently offering 55+ discount to bring the cost down; which did help my parents. I am looking at the Rhapsody to Alaska for August 3rd out of Seattle. There will be 5 cabins in our group; so changing dates is not an option at this point; but at least 3 of the 4 other cabins would love to save the money with a gty cabin. Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, the % is CATEGORIES AVAILABLE not cabins. Also, from what I have read that many times (closer to sail date) the cruise line will do the "last minute shuffle" to fill all vacancies.

Booking a guarantee is not the way to go if you want all those cabins together.

We did that our first cruise and we were scattered. 2 got upgraded to oceanview cabins in the front-- one on each side of the ship.

we had two on the aft- (again on either side) and 2 midship.

The last week in July/first week in August are high season dates. If you are not seeing guarantees---they are sold out of that.

If this is the date and ship you want-- book it.

GTY cabins aren't offered on every cruise and they also aren't always offered in every catagory when available. It's a marketing tool used to move inventory relative to Supply & Demand. Also GTY bookings aren't always the best price deal either..... the cruise I'm on GTY's were actaully costing more than if one just selected a specific cabin in that same catagory.

The Alaska Cruise you're considering is in PEAK SEASON so waiting for a price drop and or a GTY catagory may not be to your advantage... only you can decided if you want to run the risk and wait to only be further priced out of the cruise.

GTY cabins aren't offered on every cruise and they also aren't always offered in every catagory when available. It's a marketing tool used to move inventory relative to Supply & Demand. Also GTY bookings aren't always the best price deal either..... the cruise I'm on GTY's were actaully costing more than if one just selected a specific cabin in that same catagory.

The Alaska Cruise you're considering is in PEAK SEASON so waiting for a price drop and or a GTY catagory may not be to your advantage... only you can decided if you want to run the risk and wait to only be further priced out of the cruise.

Thanks for all of the replies. We do have the cruise booked already; so that is not a problem and we did get the lowest price offered; since this cruise has been offered. I'm just hoping that we can save a little more money. All of the cabins do not need to be together; so I'm not concerned about that part. Since 3 of the cabins are the lowest category, location really does not matter either to those 3. We'll just keep checking the rates everyday and hope gty might become available. Thanks again and I really appreciate everybody's help.

I have used that site for years but something seems to be different lately. There always was a listing at the bottom of the page that showed all of the price changes but that isn't there for several of the cruises I have been looking at and I know prices have gone down. It was interesting because many times prices would go down but several months later they would go back up to the original price. When you put your pointer on a price in a cabin category, it also use to show all of the price changes along with the date. Now, most of them list the the actual date (like today) even when there is no change.

I've been watching a cruise and the prices have come down - the Princess site shows a drop on the first page, right under the currrent price BUT this site is only showing the current price not the old - higher price.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it hasn't helped me at all the past few months. Has anyone else noticed this?

Have any of you joined (can't remember the cost) but if you have, do you think it is worth the cost of membership?? thanks

I have used that site for years but something seems to be different lately. There always was a listing at the bottom of the page that showed all of the price changes but that isn't there for several of the cruises I have been looking at and I know prices have gone down. It was interesting because many times prices would go down but several months later they would go back up to the original price. When you put your pointer on a price in a cabin category, it also use to show all of the price changes along with the date. Now, most of them list the the actual date (like today) even when there is no change.

I've been watching a cruise and the prices have come down - the Princess site shows a drop on the first page, right under the currrent price BUT this site is only showing the current price not the old - higher price.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it hasn't helped me at all the past few months. Has anyone else noticed this?

Have any of you joined (can't remember the cost) but if you have, do you think it is worth the cost of membership?? thanks

Hi, What I found on this site is that if you click on the current price that you are looking at it will give you the chart you are talking about. I have not joined; but it did seem like it was very reasonable. I've been able to do a lot of research and it looks like what I'm hoping for may be coming in the next couple weeks. If it doesn't I'll be happy with what I've got; but saving some money would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

You only need one 55+ person per cabin to get the price. If you book with your mom and you in one cabin and your dad and your husband in another cabin, you will get the discount on two cabins. Seapass cards can be rearranged to match the actual sleeping arrangements once you board the ship. Parents do this all the time with their younger children so that each cabin shows an adult registered in it.