"Guarantee" booking pays off!

soo z q

We are soooooo thrilled that our family, who all booked "inside guaranteed" for our cruise on the Carnival Legend March 9/06, have been up-graded to an obstructed view type cabin main deck/mid-ship. We found our stateroom number by using the "trick" mentioned on CC where you pretend to be buying a gift. Thanks to whomever suggested that. You made our week! :D

That is amazing that all of you got the upgrade! Are your cabins near one another?

Yes, the rooms are next door to one another .... I'm hoping that these are not changed between now and cruise time.

Yes, the rooms are next door to one another .... I'm hoping that these are not changed between now and cruise time.

Check the roll call boards for the March 9th Legend cruise...we will be glad to have you join us...only 52 more days...

Can someone please tell me how exactly you do this "trick" or provide a link to the original thread explaining?

There is no trick. It's the upgrade fairy you will hear spoken about on these boards. You DO NOT ask for, and cannot EXPECT an upgrade unless you purchase it, either before you sail (at full fare), or at the pier coordinator's desk at check in, where you MIGHT be offered a bargain, and may be offered the rack rate. You never know.

It is rare, but even if you have booked a particular cabin they may upgrade you if they can sell your booked cabin but can't sell the one they are upgrading you to. Let me explain a bit more.

Book a guarantee and take your chances. You may get the lowest category in the cat. you did the guarantee in, and you may be moved to a higher category.

Apparently it has to do with what is selling most. It has NOTHING to do with your captain's club status, how many times you have sailed, whether you usually book a suite, or any other logical reason. And there is not a Celebrity employee who randomly says to him/herself, "I think I'll give this fellow an upgrade because I like his name" or "he's traveled thousands of miles, I'll give him a break."

For instance, if the majority of last minute people are booking inside cabins instead of ocean views, and you purchased an inside guarantee, they might move you to an unsold ocean view so they can sell the cheaper inside to a new passenger. If the ocean views and balconies are sold out, there is no opportunity for an upgrade.

Also, notice that once you are assigned a cabin with a guarantee YOU may not request a change (unless you are onboard and everything in the room is broken, in which case they'd move you, space available, even if you hadn't booked a guarantee. If they are full, no one can move).

If you want a particular cabin, in a particular location, do not book a guarantee. The guarantee can be anywhere from $50-$200 less than the lowest "particular" cabin so it is alluring. However, if you will be uncomfortable in an aft cabin above the engine room, don't take your chances on a guarantee. If you are prone to sea sickness, better book a midship cabin and bite the bullet and not save the difference in price. In other words, if you book a guarantee, be sure you will like whatever they give you.

We hear these reports of upgrades, but please note that most people chime in with "I've sailed X number of times and never received an upgrade."

However, I have read that lines other than Celebrity make a practice of upgrading, some advertising this fact on websites as "best available" or "get a free 3 cat. upgrade." (pay for a 12 and get a ct 9) and some will calll you to offer you a "for fee" upgrade at a reduced rate. I have not personally heard about this being done by and on Celebrity, although I have seen ads for a cat 12 price with a 2 cat upgrade on internet travel agencies, and took advantage of this to Alaska.

TO CHECK IF INDEED that is your cabin-- go to carnival web page-- click on gifts... add anything to your cart-- add your booking number and your cabin number--scrolling down you will see your names.

99.9% of the time it will stay your cabin.

Someone not long ago posted his did this up til the day before.. and when he got to the pier it was changed.

---

to check for a cabin # fill out your fun pass..once its completed

go to carnival web site-- scroll to the bottom and click on funpass. fill in the information and it will ask to print fun pass or view gifts.. VIEW Gifts. add anything to your cart- If you have been set you will seee a number-- if not you will see GTEE this does not work til around 45 days before the cruise.

There is no trick. It's the upgrade fairy you will hear spoken about on these boards. You DO NOT ask for, and cannot EXPECT an upgrade unless you purchase it, either before you sail (at full fare), or at the pier coordinator's desk at check in, where you MIGHT be offered a bargain, and may be offered the rack rate. You never know.

It is rare, but even if you have booked a particular cabin they may upgrade you if they can sell your booked cabin but can't sell the one they are upgrading you to. Let me explain a bit more.

Book a guarantee and take your chances. You may get the lowest category in the cat. you did the guarantee in, and you may be moved to a higher category.

Apparently it has to do with what is selling most. It has NOTHING to do with your captain's club status, how many times you have sailed, whether you usually book a suite, or any other logical reason. And there is not a Celebrity employee who randomly says to him/herself, "I think I'll give this fellow an upgrade because I like his name" or "he's traveled thousands of miles, I'll give him a break."

For instance, if the majority of last minute people are booking inside cabins instead of ocean views, and you purchased an inside guarantee, they might move you to an unsold ocean view so they can sell the cheaper inside to a new passenger. If the ocean views and balconies are sold out, there is no opportunity for an upgrade.

Also, notice that once you are assigned a cabin with a guarantee YOU may not request a change (unless you are onboard and everything in the room is broken, in which case they'd move you, space available, even if you hadn't booked a guarantee. If they are full, no one can move).

If you want a particular cabin, in a particular location, do not book a guarantee. The guarantee can be anywhere from $50-$200 less than the lowest "particular" cabin so it is alluring. However, if you will be uncomfortable in an aft cabin above the engine room, don't take your chances on a guarantee. If you are prone to sea sickness, better book a midship cabin and bite the bullet and not save the difference in price. In other words, if you book a guarantee, be sure you will like whatever they give you.

We hear these reports of upgrades, but please note that most people chime in with "I've sailed X number of times and never received an upgrade."

However, I have read that lines other than Celebrity make a practice of upgrading, some advertising this fact on websites as "best available" or "get a free 3 cat. upgrade." (pay for a 12 and get a ct 9) and some will calll you to offer you a "for fee" upgrade at a reduced rate. I have not personally heard about this being done by and on Celebrity, although I have seen ads for a cat 12 price with a 2 cat upgrade on internet travel agencies, and took advantage of this to Alaska.

I booked a 1a gty January 7th on the inspiration sailing on February 13th through travelocity. My first cruise ever and am traveling solo. I called travelocity yesterday and have been upgraded to a 6A oceanview on the Riveria deck a few cabins from the back of the ship. Is this going to be a noisy place on this ship? I'm not complaining mind you but I just wondered if the engines would keep me awake. Thanks! Greg

Archived