Cabin DVD Players?

winddawn

The DVD players are still available on those ships that have not been converted to the better option of an interactive TV system. The ships have a very wide selection of DVD movies that I can obtain.

Thanks, rkacruiser. I'm particularly interested in knowing whether Oosterdam cabins still have DVD players.

Thanks, rkacruiser. I'm particularly interested in knowing whether Oosterdam cabins still have DVD players.

No idea. I have never sailed on Oosterdam. And, she is in dry dock as we speak. Maybe the new TV system will be installed then.

Thanks everyone. I sailed NA last November and the DVD player was missing from my cabin, and the ship had the new interactive TV system. I was wondering whether that was specific to my cabin or to other ships too. It sounds like they'll likely all be going away in time. I guess HAL is slow to update their website information. I noticed both NA and O show on the HAL website they have DVD players in cabins which appears to be outdated information. I'll take my own for my next cruise.

That is my plan. But I would like to watch the programming with my husband and that doesn’t work so well with just a 10 inch screen!

LOL! I think that poster was maybe suggesting you hook the portable device up to the TV. It sometimes can be done (depending on how the TV is mounted and whether or not the inputs can be switched).

If you like having them, you could mention it on your post-cruise survey.

I don't mind having a DVD, but I surely would prefer to have a much better TV than the ones currently on Volendam and the one I had in our cabin on Rotterdam 9 years ago (guess what...SAME TV!)

I don't mind having a DVD, but I surely would prefer to have a much better TV than the ones currently on Volendam and the one I had in our cabin on Rotterdam 9 years ago (guess what...SAME TV!)

To each their own. For me the TV itself is nowhere near as important as having a quality program/movie, of which there are relatively few.

To each their own. For me the TV itself is nowhere near as important as having a quality program/movie, of which there are relatively few.

Ah, but you see, I hook my laptop up to the better TV via HDMI and all my movies and stuff are already on there. No need to lug discs around (or go searching for titles at reception).

The old TVs I have to get from HDMI down to crappy RCA composite using an adapter. Gross! :halo:

Ah, but you see, I hook my laptop up to the better TV via HDMI and all my movies and stuff are already on there. No need to lug discs around (or go searching for titles at reception).

The old TVs I have to get from HDMI down to crappy RCA composite using an adapter. Gross! :halo:

I just bought an adapter from amazon. Sigh. I wish they would have the new TVs, especially if I do not have a tub now. With six sea days in a row, I'm hoping to get the DH to watch "Downton Abbey" with me.

~Robin (who is currently shirking homework)

I just bought an adapter from amazon. Sigh. I wish they would have the new TVs, especially if I do not have a tub now. With six sea days in a row, I'm hoping to get the DH to watch "Downton Abbey" with me.

"Downton Abbey" was awesome. I've got the full season one of "The Crown" - we quite enjoyed the actress who plays HRH as Amy in "Little Dorrit". I've also got some random movies on-hand.

My OV cabin on the Rotterdam a couple weeks ago had a DVD player.

Can someone advise if the Prinsendam has them, and if so, for how much longer?

If you like having them, you could mention it on your post-cruise survey.

Last November, the Prinsendam had DVD players. However, she goes into drydock next December, so there is a good chance the DVD players will be replaced with the new tv system.

It is our understanding the old tvs and DVD players are being replaced during drydock.

We had the new system in our Vista cabin on Westerdam this month, We could not hook up a DVD player to the new tv.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Additional Information.

Oh dear. So if the ship has the new TV system, there is no way to play DVDs? Asking specifically about the Eurodam.

In January 2017, Eurodam had the new large screen TV system with no DVD player in the room. For the request about how to connect a portable player, the barrier to connect was physical, with the TV mounted solidly to the wall, no swing arm and no side ports.

In January 2017, Eurodam had the new large screen TV system with no DVD player in the room. For the request about how to connect a portable player, the barrier to connect was physical, with the TV mounted solidly to the wall, no swing arm and no side ports.

I can't say that I blame them. I definitely wouldn't want all of those passengers futzing around with my new TV.:D

No idea. I have never sailed on Oosterdam. And, she is in dry dock as we speak. Maybe the new TV system will be installed then.

We sailed in an Oosterdam Neptune suite last April 2017 with new interactive TV. Lots of movies, some less than a week out on DVD. We don't go to movie theaters at home, so it was a treat to have such a good selection. If someone goes to a lot of movies at home or buys a lot of DVDs, the selection might not appeal as much.

On Koningsdam during a holiday sailing, we thought the movie selection was 1st rate, in our opinion, but it doesn't take much to keep us happy.

I really appreciate all the responses to my thread/question. I agree with those who posted they'd enjoy being able to watch their favorite shows in their cabins, whether that's by DVD or free programming. From what I understand, Carnival Corporation is doing away with most network programming on cabin TVs across all their brands, and will only offer very, very limited network programming on cabin TVs going forward, along with some on-demand programming (both for a fee and free). From what I've experienced so far during this change, HAL is offering more free choices compared to other Carnival brands. I'm sure this won't matter to some cruisers, but to others like me, it is disappointing. At this point in the transition, I find it helpful to determine in advance whether my cabin offers a DVD player since I'm not interested in most of the limited programming being offered. I won't bring my laptop since it won't fit in a cabin safe, but I will dig my old DVD player out of storage to carry on my cruise so I can enjoy some TV time on my cruise. Maybe the day will soon arrive where streaming TV will be an affordable option while cruising (like it is becoming on land). For those asking about plugging into cabin TVs, my experience is that isn't an option in most cases because Carnival Corporation is not providing the capability to plug anything into their cabin TVs. The plugs either don't exist on their TVs, or the plugs have been inactivated.

It was the same on the Westerdam. The tv was mounted across from th bed with no place tp put a DVD except on the floor with a fairly long cable. Even if that was possibe, you would run the risk of tripping on the DVD or stepping on it as there was not a lot of room between the bed and the wall.

It was the same on the Westerdam. The tv was mounted across from th bed with no place tp put a DVD except on the floor with a fairly long cable. Even if that was possibe, you would run the risk of tripping on the DVD or stepping on it as there was not a lot of room between the bed and the wall.

If it is possible, that's great. Don't mind the long cord ... just want to be able to connect the DVD to the TV!

Carnival Corporation is not providing the capability to plug anything into their cabin TVs. The plugs either don't exist on their TVs, or the plugs have been inactivated.

Inspiration had a decent LG TV. HDMI connections readily accessible and switchable from an Input button on the TV itself.