What happens when...

Luvcruisin76

So here's the situation. We have a group of ladies leaving next week on triumph. We have 6 rooms booked and one of the ladies in one of our rooms father is very I'll and expected to pass away at anytime so she is obviously not going to be able to go. She did purchase travel insurance but can she be replaced by someone else in that room? The other lady in the room is supposed to be finding out but hasn't gotten a chance to yet and it's not my room so I'm not able to get the info so I thought I would ask the experts here! :) What can be done in this situation? Will the lady that is still going going to be able to keep her room? What happens?

We dont know how many are in each cabin or the rate you booked, but usually for $50 you can replace someone.

If you booked early saver the rest of the deposit i understand will be held as a future credit for the person who paid.

If she is left as a solo, then she will be charged double the rate, even if the person with insurance cancels and they are repaid, they leave the other lady hanging out high and dry. lets hope 3 or 4 booked the cabin.

hard to say exactly with so little info

So here's the situation. We have a group of ladies leaving next week on triumph. We have 6 rooms booked and one of the ladies in one of our rooms father is very I'll and expected to pass away at anytime so she is obviously not going to be able to go. She did purchase travel insurance but can she be replaced by someone else in that room? The other lady in the room is supposed to be finding out but hasn't gotten a chance to yet and it's not my room so I'm not able to get the info so I thought I would ask the experts here! :) What can be done in this situation? Will the lady that is still going going to be able to keep her room? What happens?

Everything here is pure speculation.

Don't call Carnival and tell them that someone needs to cancel. On embarkation day, have the person left say that their roommate is a no show. Better yet, don't say anything. Let Carnival mark that person as a no show on their own. Unless things have changed, they will refund the taxes and fees and won't make the remaining guest pay extra.

Travel insurance won't work if you do this.

I don't understand what is speculation? These are the facts.... One person can't go so what can we do is my question..

I completely understand and sympathize. We had to cancel an October cruise on the Miracle the day before the cruise. My FIL has been sick for several months and he was improving days prior to our cruise. My MIL said his vitals were getting better and she told to go have a good time. The day before as we are leaving to the airport, we got "the call". Travel insurance paid for everything. She has to do what is comfortable for her, but call Carnival and cancel, they might work with you on a future cruise.

I don't understand what is speculation? These are the facts.... One person can't go so what can we do is my question..

There are too many variables of "what could" happen. What was the booking, what kind of insurance, how many in the room, who you get on the phone...

For every posted policy, there is someone who has a different experience. In the best interest of all, the cancelling cruiser should "no show", get the taxes and fees refunded and eat the cruise fare and the other person in the cabin would keep the room with no additional costs.

Go read there cancellation policy on ticket contract. See how it applies to your friend and then call the cruise line. I think you can make a name change but it will be up to them or call your TA. I would hate to see you miss out on something that by acting promptly could have been avoided. Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

So, are you understanding?

If there are 2 people booked for a cabin and one person "cancels", then the other person would have to pay the extra amount as if they booked solo in the cabin. If there were more than two people booked in a cabin and one person "cancelled" then it wouldn't affect the fare for the others.

If there are only 2 people booked in the cabin, the person who needs to cancel (and has insurance) should first verify that their insurance will actually cover their costs for their situation. If they are covered for this situation and they do cancel, as stated the other lady in the cabin will have to pay double. If they are not covered, then it would be best for that person not to "cancel" and just not show up, then the other lady would not have to pay the extra amount and the cruise line would refund to the lady that did not show up the port fees and taxes.

So, it is important that the lady who needs to cancel, verify with her insurance company that she is indeed covered and will get a refund (and how much).

That might make the decision on what to do easier.

Depending on the type of booking, you might be allowed to substitute another person. Typically there would be a penalty fee, if it is possible.

First contact the insurance company, then contact Carnival to see if change can be made. Don't cancel until it is understood that it is the best option.

hope this makes sense

Unless she has cancel for any reason insurance, she won't be reimbursed. IF you can replace her, I would call CCL and find out the process for replacing her. That way she could recoup some of her money. It will never hurt to call and ask the question.

Unless she has cancel for any reason insurance, she won't be reimbursed. IF you can replace her, I would call CCL and find out the process for replacing her. That way she could recoup some of her money. It will never hurt to call and ask the question.

This isn’t necessarily true. I have purchased insurance for all 24 of my cruises. There was a cruise where my mom ended up in the hospital and because of that we weren’t sure we’d be able to go. I called my insurance and was told if her condition was serious and I had a doctors statement they would cover my costs if I had to cancel. I would have to notify them and have the doctor complete the forms. Luckily it worked out and we were able to go.

Every travel insurance policy I have taken out has always had coverage for the serious illness or death of a close family member. It's actually pretty standard coverage.

If she's past the "refund" period, and she cancels, the INSURANCE pays her back...not the cruise line. They keep the money. The solo cruiser shouldn't owe anymore.

That's what I think would (should) happen. Would that still work if they purchased the insurance from the cruise line.....:confused:

Something to find out. But then I never purchase the cruise line insurance.