How many is too many?

Beachfrog

Ships in port that is. I was cruising the internet and found a Cruise Ship Calendar for 2019. I saw for our Alaskan cruise there could be as many as five ships in Juneau. Is Juneau big enough to handle that many people? I have dealt with three ships before but not five! How many ships have you guys seen in one port?

Ships in port that is. I was cruising the internet and found a Cruise Ship Calendar for 2019. I saw for our Alaskan cruise there could be as many as five ships in Juneau. Is Juneau big enough to handle that many people? I have dealt with three ships before but not five! How many ships have you guys seen in one port?

Juneau has dock space for four ships and all four are routinely used during the summer in Alaska's state capital. If there is a fifth ship, she'll be tendering her guests ashore. NCL is in the habit of "swapping" ships in Juneau. That is, one of their ships - usually at the AJ Dock - will depart in the early afternoon, and another Norwegian ship will take her place. So it may seem like five ships but it is actually four. Juneau seems to be handling that amount of pax just fine - It's definitely will not turn into a Charlotte Ammalie, St. Thomas, USVI circus

Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale is known to routinely handle as many as eight (8) cruise ships at a time

You need to look at the number of passengers on each ship. Five 3000 passenger ships has a bigger impact on any port than two ships with 2500 passengers and three ships with 1000 or less. Juneau and Ketchikan regularly have 4 or 5 ships in at a time during June, July, and August. The streets are crowded, but not impassible.

You need to look at the number of passengers on each ship.

Good point! I looked:

Royal Princess, 3600 total capacity

Viking Orion, 930

Grand Princess, 3100

Westerdam, 1916

Star Princess, 3100

That's a lot of tourists! Should be fun!:D

One other ship in port is too many for us. Pick the ship and itinerary with the smallest number is our rule.

"One other ship in port is too many" is pretty difficult in Alaska. Of course, on the 14 day RS Seattle or the new 21 (?) day Maasdam sailings there are ports that you'll be the only ship, but there are others that you certainly will not be the only ship. Or there's Uncruise.....

To me, it depends on the port. I feel that Charlottetown, PEI, Sydney, NS, or Saguenay, Quebec can really only handle one ship. But ports like Quebec and Halifax can handle 2 or 3 ships easily.

And it depends on how long the ships are in port. If one is there say 9-2 an the other is there say 12-5, it's better because there is not much crossover.

We were once in Corfu on the Noordam. There were two other ships including another HAL ship. There was only dock space for 2, and our ship ended up being the one that had to tender. The sea was a bit rough, and we saw someone fall as they boarded a tender falling directly on his elbow and obviously in great pain.

You can always count on Cozumel to have a few ships. LOL

We spent a few winters on Cozumel. I can remember a few times with 13 ships.:')

In a couple of weeks boarding in Venice. Sunday 6 ships, maybe four of them 5000+, Our ship overnights. Boarding Monday. Sunday will be a great day to be anywhere else.:cool:

The ports only allow what they can handle....

Why do you persist in saying this? Yes,the port will dock or tender as many ships as possible. That doesn't mean that the town, ie. shops restaurants, points of interest, museums, etc.. can handle that many people comfortably. Ports want as many tourists as possible, and they really don't care if the wait for a table for lunch is an hour and a half, or if shops are so crowded you can't move in them. Your statement is irrelevant and does not answer the OP's question. :rolleyes:

I have been in port with 4 other ships (St. Maarten) and it was VERY crowded. To the OP, I hope you encounter none of the above problems! :D

Edited by Rala
typos

"One other ship in port is too many" is pretty difficult in Alaska. Of course, on the 14 day RS Seattle or the new 21 (?) day Maasdam sailings there are ports that you'll be the only ship, but there are others that you certainly will not be the only ship. Or there's Uncruise.....

In Alaska, depart from Vancouver on a Tues or Wed. This results in fewer ships in each port you visit I have found.

In Alaska, depart from Vancouver on a Tues or Wed. This results in fewer ships in each port you visit I have found.
retired people can probably do that but people who are still working may not be able to break up week in that way.