Clothing Tips for Tours on the Mediterranean

Europe HereIGo

Dear people,

My husband and I are going to our first Mediterranean cruise with RC - Symphony of the Seas. Here are our ports:

Leaving from Barcelona , Spain, then: Palmade Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain; Marseille, France Riviera; La Spezia, Italy;Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy; Naples, Italy; Valencia, Spain; and arriving in Barcelona, Spain.

The tours have already been booked. I am not sure what to pack as 1. temperatures range from 15 C to 25 C and 2. I am not sure what would be appropriate for the tours and ship (e.g., running shoes okay or boots better?).

I would appreciate if you could share with me what you brought and any other suggestions you may think a first timer should know.

Please and thank you !

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

What time of year? Spain has been running hotter than the averages, so I recommend using a website like wunderground dot com to look at historical data for past few years for same dates of travel for real temps.

So layers. Also, Cathedral in Barcelona strictly enforces covered knees and shoulders for both genders. That practice for all churches is respectful if not always required. Just something to cover while inside (a cardigan or light shawl) is enough. Good walking shoes. Often uneven surfaces we don't experience in North America.

Not sure what you mean by 'boots'. My only boots are snow/winter boots I have to wear 5 months of the year. I refuse to wear anything remotely like a boot the rest of the year.

Something for rain. A jacket is best, but those pocket plastic ponchos suffice of not wearing long sleeves.

Whatever shoes you're comfortable in for walking is fine!

- so long as they have a decent sole. The cobbled streets and ancient, well-worn marble steps can be a problem with thin soled shoes.

You're fine in the modern parts of the cities, but many pavements and old yards have preserved their original cobbles.

For Americans

15-25C is 59-77F

Dress in thin layers. I’m always peeling something in or off. Scarves are handy, can buy them on the street in any of your ports.

I’d bring flat walking shoes. To Rome I brought a pair of Clarks with a low heel that were great walking on the sidewalks but almost broke my ankle on the cobblestones. Since we never knew when we would have cobblestones, the heels never were worn again that trip.

Know the rules for visiting churches.

Edited by SadieN