New to Discovery and Marella

We have booked our first Marella cruise on Discovery and looking forward to it.

I anticipate it will be different to our previous cruises which is no problem but must admit the embarkation procedures are making me slightly nervous - no room number etc until we get to Newcastle.

I have read about constant music everywhere.

Are there any quieter places to sit and read?

Is there a library to borrow books or are we better taking our own?

I thought I saw a photo of a library but have just looked at deck plans and can’t see one.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by heywood
added last phrase.

The other ships have an Explorers Lounge and a Games Room but haven't seen one on Disc 2 which is the same layout as Discovery but I do know there are books available for guests in the Coffee shop on deck 6 The Glass house is quieter but under cover and deck 10 is quieter than the lido deck aft and forward Hope that helps

We found the glass house a very pleasant and peaceful place to hang out but we had no youngsters running about. Also the coffee port was used as a reading room. Only noisy area, for us, was the main pool area but we didn't find it to bad and could always find somewhere else.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I would go with an open mind and form your own opinions. Discovery is a lovely ship. I take my own books do that I have what I choose to read but usually end up swapping with someone. The glass house is great for a quiet lunch. Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the replies. We do like to borrow books if there is a library- not fussy about what we read. :)

I will download something just in case.

I am really looking forward to it. We sailed on Splendour of the Seas a long time ago - can’t remember much about it though now.

I am sure we will enjoy - open mind as you say.

Is the adult veranda area for use by everyone? Also is entry only via the glass house?

Yes, all passengers except children welcome on the Veranda. access is easiest via the Glasshouse and then through the gym. There are also stairs on the port side from deck 10. Don't worry about moving chairs around as they are moved by the crew at the start and end of the day

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing I ever bought for holiday use was my Kindle. 1000's of books in a 6 by 5 inch package. Even on a standard android tablet you can install an e reader and there are countless free ebooks on the net. They really are a boon with the added advantage that you can read anywhere and never have to go change a book.