Thoughts on Excursions: 7-night Pacific Coastal - RCI Explorer

Sailing on the Explorer of the Seas at the end of September on a 7-night Pacific Coastal. Info seems to be few and far between in this subforum. I was able to piece together some things from other sources, but was hoping to get feedback on some things I was thinking.

For this trip, I've decided to skip the cruise line sponsored tours and do it all on my own. Definitely feel more comfortable with this as 3/4 ports are in the U.S.

Astoria: Originally, I was thinking of doing the cruise ship Willamette Wine Valley Tour, but don't really wanna spend most of the time on the tour bus. Then, I considered doing it on my own by renting a car, but since it's a Saturday, the agency is only open 9-12. So I decided to just stay in Astoria and do the $1 trolley tour, visit some breweries (found 3-4 online) and the Cellar on 10th for some local wine tasting.

San Fran Day 1: Booked a 9:15 Alcatraz trip. Figured we'd be done around noon and will explore the rest of SF the day, all the way into the night. What are the must sees and tips to get around, without doing the hop on hop off? Best places to eat? Definitely want to hit up Chinatown.

San Fran Day 2: Rent a car and drive to Muir Woods and stop in Sausalito on the way back. Depending on how much time is left, walk around Fishermans Wharf before the ship sails at 4.

Victoria: Again, rented a car as I figure the best things to do are the castle and the gardens. The ship tour was $130 each and the car rental was only $30 usd total. Are these the best attractions or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and recommendations!

For SF, I would say spot on for the trip to Alcatraz BUT it might be very cold, windy, and foggy if you take the first trip out. Remember, it is crucial to book ahead. It is impossible to just walk on.

There is so much to see in SF, and to get around easily I'd suggest Uber or Lyft. Taxi's are great if you are at a hotel. Uber or Lyft is much more easily scheduled and far more convenient. It's not like Chicago or NYC where you can flag a taxi down easily.

Muir Woods is also an extremely popular spot and another that requires reservations for parking/transit: https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

If you've never been, and you don't want to do a hop-on-hop-off bus, I recommend a drive through the Presidio, Fort Point, Crissy Field, and, if you have time, go across the bridge to Sausalito and the old Presidio Yacht Club at Fort Baker.

I myself am looking for options in Astoria. I'm thinking of renting a car for the day and driving up to Mount St Helens. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Astoria: The city bus is $1 each way downtown right from the pier. NEW: Pay on the bus to save a few $s. The trolley is usually FULL all day..most likely you would have to stand. Also, try WIneKraft on Pier 11 for wine. Bridge & Tunnel bottle shop to try MANY kinds of Pac NW brews. I would not suggest Mt St Helens...visit the Monument when you have more time. ENJOY Astoria, instead! The history here is incredible.....

Sailing on the Explorer of the Seas at the end of September on a 7-night Pacific Coastal. Info seems to be few and far between in this subforum. I was able to piece together some things from other sources, but was hoping to get feedback on some things I was thinking.

For this trip, I've decided to skip the cruise line sponsored tours and do it all on my own. Definitely feel more comfortable with this as 3/4 ports are in the U.S.

Astoria: Originally, I was thinking of doing the cruise ship Willamette Wine Valley Tour, but don't really wanna spend most of the time on the tour bus. Then, I considered doing it on my own by renting a car, but since it's a Saturday, the agency is only open 9-12. So I decided to just stay in Astoria and do the $1 trolley tour, visit some breweries (found 3-4 online) and the Cellar on 10th for some local wine tasting.

San Fran Day 1: Booked a 9:15 Alcatraz trip. Figured we'd be done around noon and will explore the rest of SF the day, all the way into the night. What are the must sees and tips to get around, without doing the hop on hop off? Best places to eat? Definitely want to hit up Chinatown.

San Fran Day 2: Rent a car and drive to Muir Woods and stop in Sausalito on the way back. Depending on how much time is left, walk around Fishermans Wharf before the ship sails at 4.

Victoria: Again, rented a car as I figure the best things to do are the castle and the gardens. The ship tour was $130 each and the car rental was only $30 usd total. Are these the best attractions or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and recommendations!

Just went to San Francisco last week to visit our favorite park Golden Gate Park the De Young museum, the Academy of Science and the Japanese Tea Garden are worth an Uber drive. I also recommend Viator tours of Chinatown and Muir Woods. Wouldn’t drive myself due to traffic and parking. San Francisco is a challenge to drive for a newcomer. Wonderful restaurants at the ferry building near the port. My favorite, The Slanted Door.

Victoria is an interesting place.

If you like gardens, the a trip out to the Garden is fantastic. You may also be able to some bundle that includes the garden and a British style tea at the Garden.

The Craigdarroch Castle is a very old large Scottish baronial mansion. It is similar to a what your would find in England as a country home for a duke or other royalty. It is interesting architecture and popular.

If you are in to shopping downtown Victoria is full of small independent shops. The downtown core also is full of government offices and tech companies. That means many of the shops serve locals as much as tourists. Lots of local independent restaurants, art galleries etc in the core.

The Royal British Columbia museum is also downtown. There is a small China town.

Victoria is the Capital of the Province of British Columbia. The Legislature buildings offer free tours. Not bad as a half hour tour.

The downtown area is a pleasant 20-30 minute walk to the ship. If you are using Budget or National they have their man lot downtown.

• 3 weeks later...
Astoria: The city bus is $1 each way downtown right from the pier. NEW: Pay on the bus to save a few $s. The trolley is usually FULL all day..most likely you would have to stand. Also, try WIneKraft on Pier 11 for wine. Bridge & Tunnel bottle shop to try MANY kinds of Pac NW brews. I would not suggest Mt St Helens...visit the Monument when you have more time. ENJOY Astoria, instead! The history here is incredible.....

Does city bus take you to a better area for exploring than the trolley and then walking?

When we were docked in San Francisco, the ship is docked right under the big hill and Coit Tower. It's a great walk (if your fairly mobile, I was six months into a new hip and was able to do it) up many many stairs to the top. Thankfully there is an elevator to the top (think old Otis) and we took a bus back to the warf. It was a fun day and didn't cost much with good exercise. It was our favorite thing to be overnight there......you can't buy that view waking up to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate at sunrise.