Vegetarian Options?

Ok, I think we are close to booking for Discovery next April. We’ve run into issues on the US lines with the vegetarian food since even though it’s marked as being vegetarian, if the dish includes cheese their cheese isn’t vegetarian (due to using animal rennet). Apparently US vegetarians are not so strict and many will eat non veggie cheese.

We are so used to the majority of cheese in the U.K. being truly vegetarian and UK restaurants that offer veggie dishes that include cheese have to ensure its veggie. So we are wondering as this is a “british” Cruise line if their vegetarian offerings will be truly vegetarian?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel your pain! I've had some awful experiences on cruise ships as a vegetarian. We're booked on Explorer in December so I'm hoping that since there are a large contingent of Brits on Marella cruises they will have a better knowledge of vegetarian food. I was once (long ago on a French run ship) served a plate of peas with tomato ketchup on top. But also, on Seabourn and Azamara I've had some delicious and innovative veggie meals.

I'm not a vegetarian but food is marked as such in the buffet restaurant and there is choice and you can check the vegetarian menus in the MDRs before deciding where to eat I do believe if you inform the restaurant you can have dishes specially made up as do the glutenfree eaters and diabetics

I'm not a vegetarian but food is marked as such in the buffet restaurant and there is choice and you can check the vegetarian menus in the MDRs before deciding where to eat I do believe if you inform the restaurant you can have dishes specially made up as do the glutenfree eaters and diabetics

Thanks. The main issue we have is the US lines mark dishes as vegetarian but they include non veggie cheese. When you ask the question they just say “ oh your vegan”. No, we are vegetarian and eat vegetarian cheese.

Can't help on that issue but I do know you will be asked when you first arrive at the port and get your cruise card you are asked if you have any special needs or allergies so this is the place to specify your food needs and then confirm with the maitre'd in the MDR when ordering

If you are looking at the Discoveries then the Italian restaurant will probably be your best bet

From the Marella website FAQs page:-

DO YOU CATER FOR SPECIAL DIETS?

Of course. If you've got any dietary requirements, please make sure you mention it when you book and let the restaurant manager know once you're onboard. We also provide vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and diabetic-friendly options on request. If you need to bring your own food for medical reasons, please let us know in advance so we can ensure we have the correct facilities in place to store and prepare this. There may be some requests we aren't able to accommodate, so it's important you let us know when you book your cruise.Take a look at a sample menu to see the kind of dishes on offer.

This has been an ongoing issue between US vs British usage of the term vegetarian.

I, personally, have seen the complaint about the cheese many times here.

It appears that there are a few people who do not or cannot accept the term vegan, which in the US is interpreted as no use of animal products in food preparation or processing at all, while vegetarian food can include dairy derived products and some vegetarians will include eggs.

As in Eastern Asian foods often times will permit these ingredients and are referred to as vegetarian.

Unfortunately, vegan may be another food term to use on ships and in many countries around the world. Especially ships who sail from/to the US and around the Caribbean. And, that means there will be foods which are not considered friendly and as such are best avoided for the short period of time when sailing.

While I enjoy 'cheese' I understand it is not friendly to my chosen dietary lifestyle on ships and in a few ports we may visit.

Other than that, there have been very few issues with getting an excellent meal on X at anytime I want it. I trust others will be able to going forward.

I also note that a few vegetarians and vegans met aboard X drink wines and some liquors that are not vegetarian or vegan friendly without complaint, go figure.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer to eat Vegan , but looks like I will have to veggie on this line , tbh i hadnt thought about any other cheese than parmasan being non vegetarian

As an Aise I was on P&O Ventura a few weeks ago and they couldnt do enough for me ref Vegan food , very very impressed with them

Just back from Discovery and there were vegetarian options in both the MDR and buffet. Vegetarian dishes were clearly marked. We ate in the MDR each evening and when the waiter came to the table he introduced himself and the first thing he asked was there any food allergies or preferences so they were keen to please. One lady wanted to check that everything she ate was gluten free, there was no problem and no fuss.

I would prefer to eat Vegan , but looks like I will have to veggie on this line , tbh i hadnt thought about any other cheese than parmasan being non vegetarian

As an Aise I was on P&O Ventura a few weeks ago and they couldnt do enough for me ref Vegan food , very very impressed with them

You can eat vegan very well on X, sans cheese., I do.

There are several ways to do it, you can see the next night's menu and construct your meal or let the Chef surprise or fill you with anticipation each night.

I seem to lose all need for control over my food once I Am secure in the knowledge that they know how to prepare my meals.

I believe you will be surprised and happy.

Bon voyage

This has been an ongoing issue between US vs British usage of the term vegetarian.

I, personally, have seen the complaint about the cheese many times here.

It appears that there are a few people who do not or cannot accept the term vegan, which in the US is interpreted as no use of animal products in food preparation or processing at all, while vegetarian food can include dairy derived products and some vegetarians will include eggs.

As in Eastern Asian foods often times will permit these ingredients and are referred to as vegetarian.

Unfortunately, vegan may be another food term to use on ships and in many countries around the world. Especially ships who sail from/to the US and around the Caribbean. And, that means there will be foods which are not considered friendly and as such are best avoided for the short period of time when sailing.

While I enjoy 'cheese' I understand it is not friendly to my chosen dietary lifestyle on ships and in a few ports we may visit.

Other than that, there have been very few issues with getting an excellent meal on X at anytime I want it. I trust others will be able to going forward.

I also note that a few vegetarians and vegans met aboard X drink wines and some liquors that are not vegetarian or vegan friendly without complaint, go figure.

Bon voyage

But the problem is we are from the U.K. and this cruise line is overwhelmingly for U.K. passengers. In U.K. restaurants if a menu said a dish was vegetarian but contained cheese made from animal rennet you could at the least involve trading standards or sue them.

There should be no need for a vegetarian to have to tick to vegan food at all. The definition, at least in the U.K, of Vegetarian is someone who doesn’t eat meat or meat derivatives. They do eat dairy unlike vegans. There’s no real reason a vegetarian should have to become vegan on a cruise apart from the laziness of the cruise line to offer properly labelled vegetarian dishes.

Unfortunately X (Celebrity) who you mention have cheese made with animal rennet in a large amount of the dishes they label as vegetarian suitable. They know it’s not vegetarian but mislead their passengers by not being honest. People with dietary, religious, moral or other needs are unwittingly eating meat derivatives and Celebrity know they are but continue to allow them to do so.

We are just back from our first TUI/Marella cruise on Discovery. As mentioned by a previous poster, all servers in the MDR ask about dietary restrictions. All items in the buffet and the MDR menus are marked with a V if vegetarian. I was also a little concerned on the rennet issue. I find most cheese is okay, but things like real Parmesan can't be veggie by definition and were included on some items with a V.

In any case, with a bit of care you should be fine and certainly won't go hungry.

We are just back from our first TUI/Marella cruise on Discovery. As mentioned by a previous poster, all servers in the MDR ask about dietary restrictions. All items in the buffet and the MDR menus are marked with a V if vegetarian. I was also a little concerned on the rennet issue. I find most cheese is okay, but things like real Parmesan can't be veggie by definition and were included on some items with a V.

In any case, with a bit of care you should be fine and certainly won't go hungry.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Would you say though if it’s marked with a V but has cheese in it then it’s safer to avoid it?

• 1 month later...

Of course not, only if you choose to.

Do a search on this board using key words vegan or vegetarian and you will find great responses and experiences and approaches to dining on X's ships.

Bon voyage

I guess as some one who tries to stick to a vegan diet I am going to struggle !

Of course not, only if you choose to.

Do a search on this board using key words vegan or vegetarian and you will find great responses and experiences and approaches to dining on X's ships.

Bon voyage

But maizy isn’t referring to X ships, this is the Marella section.

Marella will abide by EU food labelling laws so vegetarian food will only be labelled as such if it contains no meat/derivatives. I haven’t been on Celebrity, but found the US labelling system not to be the same as we are used to and a tad more “fluid”!

Although when I’ve looked at Marella vegan/veggie options in the past lots of posters recommend the chips or vegetables... I have already advised them of our dietary requirements at booking (due to severe allergies) and have been told to reiterate that when we get on board so that our needs can be accommodated. I’m sure they will offer the same level of service to people who have additional dietary requirements :)

My profound apologies for the miss-post/mis_speak.

Not sure how I came to this board or how it got to my feed.

I cannot, clearly, speak about how non-US based cruise operators will/can accommodate their passengers specific dining options or dietary requests.

Bon voyage

But maizy isn’t referring to X ships, this is the Marella section.

Marella will abide by EU food labelling laws so vegetarian food will only be labelled as such if it contains no meat/derivatives. I haven’t been on Celebrity, but found the US labelling system not to be the same as we are used to and a tad more “fluid”!

Although when I’ve looked at Marella vegan/veggie options in the past lots of posters recommend the chips or vegetables... I have already advised them of our dietary requirements at booking (due to severe allergies) and have been told to reiterate that when we get on board so that our needs can be accommodated. I’m sure they will offer the same level of service to people who have additional dietary requirements :)