Best way for USA residents to book a Marella Cruise

Hi!

We live in the USA and I have my eyes on the Pride of Panama itinerary out of Montego Bay aboard the Marella Discovery 2. I looked on various US based travel agency websites and this cruise line is nowhere to be found. The most progress I’ve had has been by going directly to the UK Marella website where it seems I can book it without air.

But I’m wondering if there’s a better / more cost effective way besides booking directly on their website. I know that in the USA, sometimes it’s more expensive to book direct.

Thanks for any information that anybody may provide to us clueless fellow cruisers on the other side of the ocean! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I remember reading here previously - the problem is paying with a non UK bank issued credit card, because TUI like GBP (aka Sterling) for deposits and balances.

I have contact with a TUI person who can advise, if you'd like me to pose the question on your behalf.

I cannot say this without fear of contradiction, however I suspect you'll have to 'phone their HQ direct to make a reservation.

There is a mechanism for cruise only bookings - we have resident experts here on that.

I have contact with a TUI person who can advise, if you'd like me to pose the question on your behalf.

There is a mechanism for cruise only bookings - we have resident experts here on that.

Thanks! I appreciate any help that you can provide! [emoji3]

The Marella website does allow me to select a cruise only vacation and quotes the price in GBP. I can also enter my personal information, but I’ve stopped myself short of entering the credit card information. I’ll come back here if I decide to book it this way and let you know what happens! Once again, thank you!

We book everything with our Santander zero card,no fees and almost money market rates.Is there something similar in the US?With the dollar being strong still, I would have thought it would be a bargain for you,cheers,Brian.

The problem for Tapi is paying in GBP as TUI UK won't (as far as I know) accept currencies other than Sterling.

Credit cards issued by non UK banks, including Amex (other than UK issue) will not be accepted.

I'll email my Deep Throat for the way forward.

Watch this space, may take a couple of days to get an answer.

It's stupid really When I'm abroad in Europe and use a debit/credit card I'm asked do I want to pay in Euros or GBP at lots of places and when in the Caribbean/USA they charge me in their currency and my card provider converts to GBP so why can't TUI do the same - charge the card in GBP and then the card provider converts to USD? Are they worried the card provider won't pay up? If so there's plenty of time to cancel the booking

Hi all!

Tapi ~ I wonder if you could book through the Canadian company Sunwing & go to Toronto or Vancouver to fly to the cruise. I'm Canadian & near Toronto & have done Pride of Panama twice. It's a great cruise & DIscovery 2 is a lovely ship (the former Legend of the Seas).

Last year Sunwing didn't offer it until Sept so I got in touch with TUI but it seemed way more expensive than through Sunwing which for a quite low price includes the cruise, airfare, transfers & a beverage package with the bonus of no tipping required!!

Check it out, it might work for you.

~ Jo ~ :)

My contact has replied - expecting a colleague to advise with details.

Wait out.

Thank you! I appreciate immensely what you’re doing!

Tapi ~ I wonder if you could book through the Canadian company Sunwing & go to Toronto or Vancouver to fly to the cruise. I'm Canadian & near Toronto & have done Pride of Panama twice. It's a great cruise & DIscovery 2 is a lovely ship (the former Legend of the Seas).

Thanks! Interestingly, I was on Sunwing’s website yesterday! But I couldn’t find cruise only offers. Yes, the thought of flying to Toronto crossed my mind, but I live in the US southeast where I can fly nonstop to Montego Bay in a little over 2 hours, so flying to Toronto to then head south doesn’t seem very cost or time effective.

It does look like a great cruise, and the itinerary is unique. That’s why I’ve been drooling over it. [emoji23]. Thanks for your post!

Hi all!

Tapi ~ you're welcome. Oh, too bad Sunwing doesn't work for you as I'm pretty sure they do the cruise all inclusive. Now if you lived in the north east it could have worked. I have heard of some pretty convoluted flights in the States but that would be crazy!;)

Hopefully booking through Marella works as it is a great cruise, we liked it enough to do it twice.(yn)

Just a thought Tapi - do you have a friend/relative in Britain who would let you use their UK bank card details if you sent the money from your account to theirs? If you wouldn't be happy asking them for their bank details could you transfer the money over and let them do the on line 'Cruise Only' booking for you?

Just a thought Tapi - do you have a friend/relative in Britain?

Unfortunately no. My sister lived in the UK for several years but she’s back on this side of the pond now. The only relatives that I have living in Europe are in Spain.

Send me the money in bitcoins and I'll book it for you.

I'll even add flowers and chocolates in your room for free

[emoji23] Can I get vanilla cupcakes instead of chocolates? If so, we have a deal! [emoji23]

Edited by Tapi

• 3 months later...

Ok without getting anyone in trouble by listing TA or similar. What was the work around for this issue as i am having similar trouble trying to book from Australia. Do I need to book direct with Marella in the UK? Can't find any agents in Australia.

Ok without getting anyone in trouble by listing TA or similar. What was the work around for this issue as i am having similar trouble trying to book from Australia. Do I need to book direct with Marella in the UK? Can't find any agents in Australia.

I found booking directly through the TUI website is the best option even in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Suggestion - Google UK cruise travel agents and (hopefully) you will find one that can accept bookings for Marella paid in a currency other than GBP (aka £ Sterling) - the payment issue is clearly the stumbling block.

This is such a simple issue to resolve and it's turning into a drama.

• 3 weeks later...

If you live in the US book through Sunwing/Sell-Off vacations, google them, Pay with your credit

card in Can funds. You can depart with air from Vancouver or Toronto, or drop the air portion and fly to Montego Bay from the USA. . There is always a way , the ship and cruise is great once you

get past Jamaican red tape. Good luck.