Spirit

Has anybody been on the Spirit recently? I'm considering it for August but am hearing nothing good about it,,I'm trying not to listen or take any notice of such moans but I've yet to hear anything positive:( lovely itinerary and nice options for stay after cruise,,and very good price compared to others. We always do Thomson cruise n stay in summer but not been on the spirit.

Has anybody been on the Spirit recently? I'm considering it for August but am hearing nothing good about it,,I'm trying not to listen or take any notice of such moans but I've yet to hear anything positive:( lovely itinerary and nice options for stay after cruise,,and very good price compared to others. We always do Thomson cruise n stay in summer but not been on the spirit.
Daughter and family returned last Sunday, first time for them they have been on Discovery and other Marella ships, really enjoyed the ship, good size cabins, good food, entertainment and great staff, only down side was not enough for the children, ages 11 & 12. So it was a [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much:D did your daughter and family say anything about wether it was a smooth comfortable sailing ship because lots of people have been telling me that the Spirit is always a rocky ride and can be uncomfortable in the even the slightest seas,,it wouldn't bother me much but my husband and son both get a bit motion sick sometimes. It's a special occasion so I don't want either of them regretting our choice!

They did have good weather, but that can obviously change, we have been on the Spirit and her sister ship about ten times and only had rough seas once, the ship does have a vibration but its IMO not a problem, we always have a cabin on prom deck and are on Celebration later in the year and just love the ship. The Spirit is retaining some of the good old traditions of cruising with DR waiter's in white's and the baked Alaska parade which our grandchildren loved. Just ask if you require any specific info in the ship.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Ask yourself why its still the top rated/most repeat passengers in the fleet.

Ask yourself why its still the top rated/most repeat passengers in the fleet.

That's a very good point! :D Thank you both for your replies,,much appreciated,,I'm about to call back and book it!

Spirit is no more "rocky" than any other cruise ship of her size.:)

But as pensioncruiser's post she does have a vibration problem.

It's an incurable design fault that she shares with her sister, Celebration - both have had the problem from birth.

It's usually described as a "vibration", but I think of it as more of a "shimmy".

It's intermittent and can strike whether at sea or in port. Sometimes lasts for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes - and sometimes affects one part of the ship (eg Broadway) and sometimes another (eg upper deck).

Not a big deal to most people, in fact it can be quite humorous - for instance seeing generously-proportioned passengers sun-bathing on the top deck, blissfully unaware that their bare bellies have started to wobble in unison :D

But it's no fun if you're trying to get to sleep so I suggest you avoid cabins toward the stern, which I think are the only cabins affected (check a deck-plan - there are only a few, along one side of one lower deck) .

It's a while since we last sailed on Spirit, I think the last time was just after her re-furb.

The lido buffet is rather "canteen", as is the food. OK for a quick breakfast before going ashore or for snacks. But for dinner it's worth dressing tolerably smartly (other than formal nights no need for formality but at least long trousers and a decent shirt & shoes) to dine in the main dining room. Good food, good surroundings, good service, sensible wine prices and usually good company. We've never tried the premium-pay restaurant, no need.

And consider the main dining room also for a lazy and civilised breakfast on sea-days - we always found it very quiet & peaceful.

As has been said, Thomson (sorry, Marella) is very traditional and folk make the effort on formal nights. Ladies wear their glad-rags, anywhere from 60% to 80% of gents are in tux's & the rest in dark suits with a smattering of blazers, uniforms & national dress (there's always a kilt or two). If that's not your scene, the only dress code in the lido is no bare chests or feet.

Entertainment is much better than a ship of that size warrants, it puts some of the big ships to shame. Includes evening musicians in several bars.

Can't help re kids - it's a while since I was aged 11 to 12. :rolleyes:

Ships' excursions are always over-priced. Even though Thomson's prices are more reasonable (errr, less unreasonable) than other lines, do choose a suitable port or three to do your own thing.

Spirit is an old lady, she doesn't have the whistles-and-bells of modern ships but she's a proper cruise ship rather than a top-heavy block of chicken-coops, and her crew are the best we've found on the oceans.

One of the friendliest little old tubs you can find. :)

Have a great cruise

JB :)

Well,,it's booked:D Undiscovered Spain on 12th August. It's our 30th wedding anniversary. It wasn't my first choice of ship or itinerary but I'm happy with it now. We always enjoy any cruise or holiday,,it's not work and we're not dead so it's all good. It's probably the smallest ship we've been on since our very first cruise on the old Island Escape some years ago and I'm looking forward to seeing if there is a noticeable difference in ambience and atmosphere. We love a summer cruise & stay,,we've done it for a few years now. We were planning a family trip to Florida but that went a bit pear shaped and I've left it and left it until now to book something. Trying to accommodate everybody's likes and dislikes is too complicated so I've decided this is what we're doing! It sounds lovely from your comments and I'm sure we'll love it.:)

Both Spirit and Celebration are lovely 'Smaller Ships' but no less very appealing and great crews. Sure you will enjoy, we have sailed on both many times and have always had a great time, last year we did the Baltic on the Celebration and never felt any great movement.

Enjoy !

Well,,it's booked:D Undiscovered Spain on 12th August. It's our 30th wedding anniversary. It wasn't my first choice of ship or itinerary but I'm happy with it now. We always enjoy any cruise or holiday,,it's not work and we're not dead so it's all good. It's probably the smallest ship we've been on since our very first cruise on the old Island Escape some years ago and I'm looking forward to seeing if there is a noticeable difference in ambience and atmosphere. We love a summer cruise & stay,,we've done it for a few years now. We were planning a family trip to Florida but that went a bit pear shaped and I've left it and left it until now to book something. Trying to accommodate everybody's likes and dislikes is too complicated so I've decided this is what we're doing! It sounds lovely from your comments and I'm sure we'll love it.:)
Hi we are booked for the 12th Aug on the Spirit. Have cruised on her before a few years back and we are looking forward to it. The 12th is the start of our second week onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing our 1st ever cruise on July 15th on Spirit. We're really looking forward to it as cruising may become our holiday of choice and we wanted to try a 7 day cruise to start.

I'll do a review when we return :)

Hope you have a great one, we love the Spirit just be aware a cruise is not a restful holiday and its easy to get hooked, enjoy.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the good wishes

I really hope the wife gets hooked, I know I'll love it:D :D

Already looking at a cruise to Barbados next year.

Does anyone know if the Thomson flights from Bridgetown are all Dreamliner flights?

Hmm, it would be a Gatwick flight so hopefully a dreamliner. Did Mexico to Newcastle a couple of years ago in a First choice 767 and wasn't impressed. Premium cabin seats had high metal sides and not comfortable at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi We are doing undiscovered spain 09.09.18 would be great if you could post some information regarding ports if you can do things yourself or if you booked trips.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, its our 1st time on the spirit :):cool: