Rome City Centre

stone1061

We arrive in Civitavecchia on a friday. I can get transfer from cruise port to Rome City Centre....its a must we get to the Colosseum and then fill in whatever we can for the remainder of the time. Excursion time allows for 9.5 hrs and it shows travel time from port to this destination is 1.5hrs. If anyone can tell me what is the best way to see the highlights as well as covering the Colosseum, i would truly appreciate it. thank you!

You could catch the hop-on hop-off bus from where your transfer drops you and get off at the Coliseum as well as any other points of interest to you. Google it to see the route it follows. Alternatively if you don’t have mobility issues, you could walk around and just catch a taxi back at the end, to your transfer pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you know your drop-point in Rome?

And whether you'll be collected from the same place at the end of the day?

Then we can give a coherent answer.

JB :)

Hi,

This is what one of the excursions gives....i hope this helps and this is why im having all the troubles.

HORE EXCURSIONS

EXCLUSIVE TRANSFER TO ROME CITY CENTRE

Day 5: Civitavecchia / Rome (Italy)

Code: 0787

Length: 9.5 hours

Difficulty level: Easy

Type: Good For Shopping Basket Lunch

Description

EXCLUSIVE TRANSFER TO ROME CITY CENTRE

You could try posting on your cruise line's board and asking those who have done this excursion recently where the drop off point was, although that's no guarantee you'll get the same one. It seems that most use a stop somewhere near the Vatican but I've also read one trip report that said they were dropped off near Piazza del Popolo.

Regarding the HOHO bus, I think that's not at all what you need. They are slow and may take a circuitous route to get to your destination, the exact opposite of an efficient transit plan.

Note that if you purchase your tickets for the Colosseum on line in advance to save yourself the wait on site, the new process limits you to entry after 2 PM. Depending on what time the pick-up is for return to the ship, that may be too late for you. The other option is to wait and buy your tickets on site, which comes with its own risks. You can get the tickets with less waiting time at either the Forum or Palatine ticket offices (rather than at the Colosseum) but that adds another step to your plan.

You could try posting on your cruise line's board and asking those who have done this excursion recently where the drop off point was, although that's no guarantee you'll get the same one. It seems that most use a stop somewhere near the Vatican but I've also read one trip report that said they were dropped off near Piazza del Popolo.

Regarding the HOHO bus, I think that's not at all what you need. They are slow and may take a circuitous route to get to your destination, the exact opposite of an efficient transit plan.

Note that if you purchase your tickets for the Colosseum on line in advance to save yourself the wait on site, the new process limits you to entry after 2 PM. Depending on what time the pick-up is for return to the ship, that may be too late for you. The other option is to wait and buy your tickets on site, which comes with its own risks. You can get the tickets with less waiting time at either the Forum or Palatine ticket offices (rather than at the Colosseum) but that adds another step to your plan.

The point of using the hoho bus is not simply as a means of getting to their destination, it is to get to see the other highlights as they asked to do, in a simple manner. We have used the bus, (as well as walking plus taxi and on another occasion the underground train) and it works pretty well. They don’t just want to see the Coliseum.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, marylizcat said:

The point of using the hoho bus is not simply as a means of getting to their destination, it is to get to see the other highlights as they asked to do, in a simple manner. We have used the bus, (as well as walking plus taxi and on another occasion the underground train) and it works pretty well. They don’t just want to see the Coliseum.

I understood the point, I simply disagree.  The OP stated that they were trying to be as efficient as possible on a short port day and there is nothing efficient about the HOHO bus.