Little French Key Questions I’ve Not Found Answers To

sweetpee_1993

Yup, I searched before posting. ;)

Sooooo hubby & I are fluorescent gingers. That’s our life. First time in Roatan. I love all the shady spots I’m seeing on LFK because that’s exactly what makes this sort of thing possible for us. That said, it’s not unheard of for us to get 3 or 4 hrs into a beach getaway day and be ready to go. Don’t worry about us wasting money, etc. We go into all these things fully aware of cost and how we roll. We don’t typically do the beach aaaaaall day long no matter how much shade is available or how nice the place is. My question is if we get ready to go a bit early will they take us back or do we have to wait for more people to be ready to go?

I’m also not a seafood person so I like that I can request no seafood on the fixed plate. Anyone have recent info for options and prices off a menu? Anything more than just pizza? Pictures on their website show a burger. Hmmmm....

I’ve seen lots of pics, some that were of the bathrooms. Didn’t see a freshwater shower to rinse. Are there freshwater showers on LFK? We would be pretty likely to rinse good & change into dry cloths for the return journey if we can.

Thanks muchly in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Smong said:

looking to go here for the day  does anyone know if you must book ahead or can you just get a cab there from the dock?

I would go to their website and make a reservation just in case.  Main reason is because it gives you instructions on how to get to them as you must go out of the port and over a hill...they are not allowed inside the port area until they bring you back.  There are taxi's that will give you a ride for $2pp out of the port to where they wait and it doesn't cost anything to make a reservation unless you have a group of 10 or more.

2 hours ago, talafa said:

I would go to their website and make a reservation just in case.  Main reason is because it gives you instructions on how to get to them as you must go out of the port and over a hill...they are not allowed inside the port area until they bring you back.  There are taxi's that will give you a ride for $2pp out of the port to where they wait and it doesn't cost anything to make a reservation unless you have a group of 10 or more.

thank you  i did just that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Little French Key many times over the last few years; our latest visit was during the last week of October.  We have always loved the place and brought many family and friends over the years.  The experience has seriously gone downhill, we will not return.  It was anything but relaxing.  I hope this info helps in your planning, I certainly wished someone had provided more recent experience at LFK.

We always enjoyed the main lagoon, especially when traveling with little ones.  There is lots of boat traffic now and no activities to speak of.  Both BFK and LFK are doing their pick ups and drop offs in the main lagoon.  The rope/swing jump platform seem to have burned and is being rebuilt.  No paddle boards or kayaks were available in the lagoon area.  There were so many deck chairs lined up that one could hardly access the water.  The only in-water platform was at the mouth of the lagoon where the boat traffic made for questionable safety.

After arriving at LFK via their transport, there was quite a long line in the hot sun.  We waited over 45 minutes before my assertive brother in law took some action.  Reservations meant nothing.  Tour groups from Bodden(?) were being processed ahead of the line.  Over all, our group of 23, with reservations, waited about one hour and fifteen minutes in line to pay for entry.

Food was not as good as before but they were willing to customize their offerings.

There are showers on the outside of the kitchen area but when we tried to use them, there was no water.  We did see folks showering earlier.

There were some animals, but not many - not really our interest.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:04 AM, talafa said:

This only applies to Mahogany Bay regarding taxis.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:33 AM, Cabana Girl said:

We have been to Little French Key many times over the last few years; our latest visit was during the last week of October.  We have always loved the place and brought many family and friends over the years.  The experience has seriously gone downhill, we will not return.  It was anything but relaxing.  I hope this info helps in your planning, I certainly wished someone had provided more recent experience at LFK.

We always enjoyed the main lagoon, especially when traveling with little ones.  There is lots of boat traffic now and no activities to speak of.  Both BFK and LFK are doing their pick ups and drop offs in the main lagoon.  The rope/swing jump platform seem to have burned and is being rebuilt.  No paddle boards or kayaks were available in the lagoon area.  There were so many deck chairs lined up that one could hardly access the water.  The only in-water platform was at the mouth of the lagoon where the boat traffic made for questionable safety.

After arriving at LFK via their transport, there was quite a long line in the hot sun.  We waited over 45 minutes before my assertive brother in law took some action.  Reservations meant nothing.  Tour groups from Bodden(?) were being processed ahead of the line.  Over all, our group of 23, with reservations, waited about one hour and fifteen minutes in line to pay for entry.

Food was not as good as before but they were willing to customize their offerings.

There are showers on the outside of the kitchen area but when we tried to use them, there was no water.  We did see folks showering earlier.

Good to hear update from someone who has been before.

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to book LFK based on research I did a few months ago when I saw the post from Nov. 6 about how it has gone downhill, and now I'm definitely concerned.  I'm not interested in crowds or waiting in line, and that seems to have been a problem the poster experienced.  We also hoped to see the animals.  Has anyone else had a recent experience they could share?  I'll post a new thread as well.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a fire on LFK and I believe it is not open at this time.  Try Big French Key.  It is more primitive but has a great beach.

You can also try Beach Club Roatan, which is a beautiful beach with a great restaurant and lots of water activities from wave runners to snorkeling and lots of other things.  It has the best horseback riding ever.  You can take a cab or Carnival has a tour.  NOT crowded.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

There was a fire on LFK and I believe it is not open at this time.  Try Big French Key.  It is more primitive but has a great beach.

You can also try Beach Club Roatan, which is a beautiful beach with a great restaurant and lots of water activities from wave runners to snorkeling and lots of other things.  It has the best horseback riding ever.  You can take a cab or Carnival has a tour.  NOT crowded.

They are open. I was just there on Tuesday December 4. Besides not having all of the big cats on the island (many of them are by Frenchy’s 44) and them doing construction on a bar and restaurant where the Beach House used to be, it’s the same. I had a wonderful day as usual. You can see BFK right across the way and it is nowhere near as nice. 

On 12/6/2018 at 12:04 PM, firemanbobswife said:

They are open. I was just there on Tuesday December 4. Besides not having all of the big cats on the island (many of them are by Frenchy’s 44) and them doing construction on a bar and restaurant where the Beach House used to be, it’s the same. I had a wonderful day as usual. You can see BFK right across the way and it is nowhere near as nice. 

Just wondering since you are so adamant- have you been to BFK, or is this just your pre-conceived idea? Just wondering if you have actually been to both and can compare.

I realize your opinions are subjective, just trying to decide which would be best for me.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Just wondering since you are so adamant- have you been to BFK, or is this just your pre-conceived idea? Just wondering if you have actually been to both and can compare.

I realize your opinions are subjective, just trying to decide which would be best for me.

I did go across and have a quick look-see when I stayed on the island. It’s mostly a straight across beach (like most typical beaches) and not as many alcoves and little getaways. You could probably do a You Tube search and find some videos but I’m not sure. One of the things I love about LFK is all the different areas there are to go to that are along the water as well as “inland”. It can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be depending on where you are. I took a video on Tuesday but it’s over 7 min long so it’s too big to post. You should be able to see what I mean by searching videos or pics. Lots of different places to hang out, not just one long stretch of lounge chairs.    

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, firemanbobswife said:

I did go across and have a quick look-see when I stayed on the island. It’s mostly a straight across beach (like most typical beaches) and not as many alcoves and little getaways. You could probably do a You Tube search and find some videos but I’m not sure. One of the things I love about LFK is all the different areas there are to go to that are along the water as well as “inland”. It can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be depending on where you are. I took a video on Tuesday but it’s over 7 min long so it’s too big to post. You should be able to see what I mean by searching videos or pics. Lots of different places to hang out, not just one long stretch of lounge chairs.    

Thanks!

We will be on Roatan tomorrow. No LFK, but I’ll ask about it. 

I have been to both. LFK and BFK. LFK is more commercial and much bigger. BFK is more primitive unless they’ve changed it since we were there. I like both for different reasons. Both have nice beaches. 

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

42 minutes ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

I have been to both. LFK and BFK. LFK is more commercial and much bigger. BFK is more primitive unless they’ve changed it since we were there. I like both for different reasons. Both have nice beaches. 

The actual island of BFK is larger hence the name Big French Key vs Little French Key but the “useable part” is smaller. What are you going to ask about LFK when you are on Roatan? 

1 hour ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

Yes that is what i had heard, which is a far cry from the owners original claims for LFK when it first opened not that many years ago. I have not been to either but have two upcoming cruise stops to Roatan so always on the look-out for somewhere different. 

Incidently, I remember you recommending a bar once between the ports and French Harbour with a pool, did it close down?

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you for the review & update!  We are looking for something for just the 2 of us to do and would like just a relaxing not too crowded beach day, any ideas?