Eurostar London to Paris

I have done the Eurostar several times. St Pancras is a wonderful station and worth a few minutes to admire particularly the roof. There are a couple of statues to see too. the best one is of Sir John Betjeman. The best way to appreciate the vast station is on the level above the Eurostar departures area where you are amongst the Eurostar trains. Paris Gare du Nord is not so spectacular.

Yes you have to check in, go through immigration twice and get security checked. Unlike an airport they are all in a line together and I have never had to queue. I usually leave the champagne bar about 45 minutes before departure, go down stairs to Eurostar departures and really do not stop until I am through the checks. By which time my train is boarding and I carry straight on to board. It is exactly the opposite of a large airport where you walk for miles, queue for ages and then sit in a lounge for an hour. At your Eurostar arrival station there are usually no further checks you just walk away.

If you have a spare day in London and you would like a quick tour of Paris then why not. Obviously you will only get a glimpse of Paris and it will be a tiring day. You never know when you will next have the opportunity to visit again.

As posters say Europe is now a seven plus hour flight from the USA. Gone are the days when London or Paris could be a day trip from New York or visa versa.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! THIS is the type of useful information I was hoping for.

We have not done a day trip from London to Paris, but we have done the Eurostar from our stay in London to Paris for a stay of 5 days twice. We bought our tickets on line in advance and chose the cheapest ones . The trip was about 2 hours and 15 minutes. We took a taxi from our hotel to St Pancras (12 gbp) and probably got there about an hour early. It was easy and we have no experience with trains/subways.

You should check to see where you can get on the HOHO bus in relation to the train station. We always took a taxi from the taxi stand to our hotel. Watch out for gypsy taxi guys that will try to lure you to their taxis.

The HOHO (L'Open tours) has 4 routes.The green one is the best, goes by and around the Eiffel tower. You can look up the routes and stops online. The bus will have a green square on the front windshield so you know what route you are taking, There is also blue, orange, and yellow. You can also pay a little extra and buy a ride on the batobus (boat) and tour down the Seine River. If I remember correctly the HOHO doesn't start running till about 9 / 9:30am, and stops around 7pm. Once we were near Sacre Coeur and had to take a taxi back to our hotel in the Latin Quarter because we didn't realize what time the bus quit running. It was only 15euros for the taxi so if you get caught off away from the train station, you can always get a taxi for a reasonable price.

We've been to Paris 5 times and always buy a 3 day pass on the HOHO. We always do all the routes and just get off where we want to and walk around, see the sites and get back on. If you decide you want to go up the Eiffel Tower, be sure and buy your tickets online in advance or you will spend precious hours waiting line. If your heart is set on going into some museums, you can get a 1 day museum pass to save waiting in line. I would not recommend going in the museums with so little precious time. Save that for a trip when you can stay a few days. Hope this helps some in your planning. Paris is a magical city and you will probably find a way to return someday!

We have not done a day trip from London to Paris, but we have done the Eurostar from our stay in London to Paris for a stay of 5 days twice. We bought our tickets on line in advance and chose the cheapest ones . The trip was about 2 hours and 15 minutes. We took a taxi from our hotel to St Pancras (12 gbp) and probably got there about an hour early. It was easy and we have no experience with trains/subways.

You should check to see where you can get on the HOHO bus in relation to the train station. We always took a taxi from the taxi stand to our hotel. Watch out for gypsy taxi guys that will try to lure you to their taxis.

The HOHO (L'Open tours) has 4 routes.The green one is the best, goes by and around the Eiffel tower. You can look up the routes and stops online. The bus will have a green square on the front windshield so you know what route you are taking, There is also blue, orange, and yellow. You can also pay a little extra and buy a ride on the batobus (boat) and tour down the Seine River. If I remember correctly the HOHO doesn't start running till about 9 / 9:30am, and stops around 7pm. Once we were near Sacre Coeur and had to take a taxi back to our hotel in the Latin Quarter because we didn't realize what time the bus quit running. It was only 15euros for the taxi so if you get caught off away from the train station, you can always get a taxi for a reasonable price.

We've been to Paris 5 times and always buy a 3 day pass on the HOHO. We always do all the routes and just get off where we want to and walk around, see the sites and get back on. If you decide you want to go up the Eiffel Tower, be sure and buy your tickets online in advance or you will spend precious hours waiting line. If your heart is set on going into some museums, you can get a 1 day museum pass to save waiting in line. I would not recommend going in the museums with so little precious time. Save that for a trip when you can stay a few days. Hope this helps some in your planning. Paris is a magical city and you will probably find a way to return someday!

This is very helpful! Thank you so much for excellent information. Green tour. Got it!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
It's good to know that there were no issues with large baggage on the Eurostar. I was debating leaving some luggage at the Left Luggage counter. Feeling encouraged to go ahead and book. :D

The best prices are for those trains booked in advance direct on Eurostar website. Tickets go on sale 120 days in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best prices are for those trains booked in advance direct on Eurostar website. Tickets go on sale 120 days in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

120 days? Just checked the website, I need May 2019 tickets, and bookings up to April 6, 2019 are being accepted.

Hi

We are going end of October to London. Taking Eurostar to Paris for one day. Signed up to receive emails from Eurostar and were notified the first day the tickets went on sale. Paid approx $100 round trip total for 3 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums