Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 02

pierces

This thread was seeming a little lonely. Here are a few. How is our winter looking here in Central Ohio?? Below are three visuals to provide as "evidence" for what happens when the sun shines. It makes the snow look better and the temperatures not seem quite as cold. Get out of that boring warm weather in South Florida and come up north!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,830 views for these postings.

First is the view from our family room this morning. You see the yellow sign marking the bridge crossing for our yellow lab, Rudy. Second is the view mid-day from our front door down towards our driveway and ravine area. Third as I was driving, here are eight deer next to the roadway looking for their Sunday brunch meal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Jan%2013%20Visuaals%201640_zpsqr1rh6m9.jpg

Jan%2013%20Visuaals%201641_zps0hqifpya.jpg

IMG_2348%201_zpslz7kyp4t.jpg

During our visit to the LA Zoo on Sunday, I took this picture of an Indian Gharial. Our grandson, Matthew, immediately identified it as a pointy crocodile and watched it for a good five minutes before voicing his concern that its lack of movement suggested that it might be dead or fake. We explained that these creatures often catch their food by waiting motionlessly for food to wander close enough to grab. This seemingly lazy method of hunting and the earlier disappointment when it was discovered that Komodo Dragons were wingless and not all that big has all but eliminated any chance of a future career in herpetology.

Pointy Crocodile

p2710802729-5.jpg

Dave

Great pictures, looks so quiet & peaceful. Allan

Appreciate Allan's nice follow-up. More snow today here in Central Ohio. Will be down to 3F tonight. Below are a few of my visual samples and examples from the artistic program we saw this afternoon in Ohio from Bilbao, Spain. It was at the Columbus Museum of Art and was titled an interesting "Beyond Impressionism". This exhibit was from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao that we had visited in June 2017 while sailing from Lisbon to Rouen. Many of the items displayed were poster/advertising art as done by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,042 views for this posting.

Here are a few visual samples, include one poster as created by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. The second picture features my wife with a famed poster in the background. Fourth is a water lily (what else?) by Monet. The fifth items is a painting done of the scenic coast at St Jean De Luz in SW France. We visited this location in June 2017 while sailing on the Silver Spirit up from Lisbon to Rouen.:

IMG_2355%202_zpskmcqfjti.jpg

IMG_2360%203_zpshy1g9hwl.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-14%20at%203.39.47%20PM_zpsu5hctvqd.png

IMG_2365%204_zps1kfbeyp1.jpg

IMG_2368%205_zpsmfbzi5b1.jpg

This thread was seeming a little lonely. Here are a few. How is our winter looking here in Central Ohio?? Below are three visuals to provide as "evidence" for what happens when the sun shines. It makes the snow look better and the temperatures not seem quite as cold. Get out of that boring warm weather in South Florida and come up north!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,830 views for these postings.

First is the view from our family room this morning. You see the yellow sign marking the bridge crossing for our yellow lab, Rudy. Second is the view mid-day from our front door down towards our driveway and ravine area. Third as I was driving, here are eight deer next to the roadway looking for their Sunday brunch meal.:

Jan%2013%20Visuaals%201640_zpsqr1rh6m9.jpg

Jan%2013%20Visuaals%201641_zps0hqifpya.jpg

IMG_2348%201_zpslz7kyp4t.jpg

Terry

I love the picture of the "Yellow Lab" crossing sign.

I'd love to see snow like that again...been a very long time living down here in Florida. I know I wouldn't miss it if I had to go back to shoveling it all winter, but having been away from snow for almost 19 years now, I just miss seeing it and feeling the cold!

Here are some more wildlife pics from Saturday and Sunday...had two beautiful days and lots of things to see and shoot:

Up close with a beautiful green iguana, coloring himself orange for mating - love all the odd little details in their scales, spikes, crests, etc:

original.jpg

An osprey on the hunt, circling around and showing off his wing spread and his details:

original.jpg

The always-stunning little painted bunting - the male is the one with all the colors, while the female is all dull green:

original.jpg

A somewhat rare duck for my local wetlands - they only come this far south when the weather gets really cold, so it's been about 7 years since we've seen one down this far - this is the green-winged teal male:

original.jpg

And as always, the great blue herons are constantly flying back and forth, gathering more sticks to build and fortify their nests:

original.jpg