Do they really search your bags?

aggiemom11

Based on our experience on the Legend, they scan the bags before they are delivered to your room. We had locks on all bags and unless they have the keys the TSA uses, they were unable to open the bags. They did however hold on of our bags and asked us to open it because the scan indicated that we had a Leatherman tool in the bag. It was allowed.

If the original question is really about bringing liquor on board in a checked bag, my guess is that might show up on a scam. My solution is to just bring a bunch of the little airline liquor bottles with me and ask for the mixers in your room fridge.

I was reading through these boards and came across a message that said Windstar opens your luggage up for a search before you board. Is this true? No scanning? I will be traveling on the Wind Spirit.

Thanks!

They scan luggage. I believe in Barbados they took them offsite for scanning. I have nothing to hide so makes no difference to me. Liquor prices on board reasonable so don't bother with bringing your own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your handbags? Or your larger luggage?

No idea what they do with the larger bags; they take them from you before you board and then they appear in your room.

Why are you asking? Does it make a difference?

It just wanted to know if they actually search the bags. I have been on many cruises and never had this happened. The scanner is usually sufficient.

There is no scanner at the port of Papeete. When you board the Wind Spirit, they open your luggage by hand as you are about to board the ship (they open your luggage in front of you, after you identify it). I think they're mostly looking for dangerous, flammable items, and possibly liquor exceeding the allowed number of bottles. We did this cruise 2 months ago and noticed they were more thorough at the beginning of the line and more lax as the process went on. We were about halfway down the line while boarding at 1:30 and they pretty much just went through the motions with our suitcases. I had about 10 50-ml bottles of rum in mine. They were undisturbed.