Random thoughts on my first WS cruise

imcpa

Well I am getting more put off every day by comments on here about WindSurf for our first WS cruise.

I do wonder though why someone who will not sail Windstar again would bother coming on the Windstar forum?

I wonder about that as well. We left the Surf in Barbados yesterday after a lovely week. You will be happy to know that afternoon tea is at 4 p.m. at the Compass Rose with Twining tea in abundance. Scones, lovely cream, finger sandwiches, along with other little sandwiches on rolls. The food in all venues excellent. They have upped the selections. Never heard of a problem with smoke smell indoors. Smoking is allowed on the port side of the three open decks. There is always a group that meets there, usually 6 or 8 people that everyone else would love to throw overboard but unless you are immediately downwind from them, there is no problem. If there was no designated space these people would sneak their smokes indoors and create a hazard for all. We did 3 excursions, all worth the time. The beaches were nice, Mayreau beach and beach party the best we have been to. Pigeon Island gorgeous. Would have preferred 2nd day on Grenada rather than St. Lucia's Castries. Great cruise and once again, nobody can say one bad word about the crew. They are the best. No need for a butler. Ask and you shall receive. BTW, there were 2 passengers who had accidents, one on board, the other at the beach. Ship's doctor and crew outstanding and a reminder to have evacuation insurance in place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wonder about that as well. We left the Surf in Barbados yesterday after a lovely week. You will be happy to know that afternoon tea is at 4 p.m. at the Compass Rose with Twining tea in abundance. Scones, lovely cream, finger sandwiches, along with other little sandwiches on rolls. The food in all venues excellent. They have upped the selections. Never heard of a problem with smoke smell indoors. Smoking is allowed on the port side of the three open decks. There is always a group that meets there, usually 6 or 8 people that everyone else would love to throw overboard but unless you are immediately downwind from them, there is no problem. If there was no designated space these people would sneak their smokes indoors and create a hazard for all. We did 3 excursions, all worth the time. The beaches were nice, Mayreau beach and beach party the best we have been to. Pigeon Island gorgeous. Would have preferred 2nd day on Grenada rather than St. Lucia's Castries. Great cruise and once again, nobody can say one bad word about the crew. They are the best. No need for a butler. Ask and you shall receive. BTW, there were 2 passengers who had accidents, one on board, the other at the beach. Ship's doctor and crew outstanding and a reminder to have evacuation insurance in place.

Well said. As I stated in the beginning, we have sailed SS, Crystal, Regent and Paul Gauguin. Our WS cruise was right there in terms of quality and enjoyment. They all have their positives and negatives, and like the others, the positives on WS greatly beat the very few and very minor negatives.

Sb44, we will be leaving from Barbados on the Surf in a few weeks. Would you let me know what excursions you took that you liked? I’d appreciate your advice.

Which itinerary? They rotate. We did St Lucia, Bequia, Mayreau, Grenada, etc.

I wonder about that as well. We left the Surf in Barbados yesterday after a lovely week. You will be happy to know that afternoon tea is at 4 p.m. at the Compass Rose with Twining tea in abundance. Scones, lovely cream, finger sandwiches, along with other little sandwiches on rolls. The food in all venues excellent.

Thanks that is re-assuring, I particularly like the idea of the scones and Twinings tea, the line we used to cruse a lot just dropped the decent tea and have a tasteless no-name one now, and they can't make good scones.

OK we can take out own teabags but we were already bringing our own decent soap and conditioner and lots of things that used to be on board for you. Where would it stop?

Thanks that is re-assuring, I particularly like the idea of the scones and Twinings tea, the line we used to cruse a lot just dropped the decent tea and have a tasteless no-name one now, and they can't make good scones.

OK we can take out own teabags but we were already bringing our own decent soap and conditioner and lots of things that used to be on board for you. Where would it stop?

Leave your shampoo at home. Windstar provides L'Occitane products. It is however, a much more laid back atmosphere than the "big boys" so don't expect a smaller size "large cruise line" experience. The passengers mostly well travelled, very informal, exceedingly friendly people. The only unhappy people are the ones who come on with an attitude that it's all about them. We avoid people with perpetual sour looks. We do not expect perfection and that allows us to have a great time and meet new and interesting people. 60 to 70% are repeaters and certainly have the ability to spend their travel money elsewhere if they don't receive a quality product. Many passengers on the Surf are boaters, sailors, yacht or boat club members or just have a love for the sea. It is full relaxation without pretense. Leave your "stuff" at home and open yourselves to new and different. You will never find a more accomodating crew with great smiles. Smile back!

I wonder how many people will be on this cruise ?

Obviously only a small proportion of cruisers post on Cruise Critic but there seems to be no roll call at all on here for the two 7 day B2B cruises we have on Wind Surf commencing 17th February.

I believe it had an itinerary change and many people cancelled - which is how we booked at fire sale price.

But surely some CC member other than us must be on the ship?

Thanks for the additional tips and hints. We leave in May for the Southern Italy and Croatia trip and can’t be more excited! I’ve always wanted to do a Wind Star cruise. My husband and I are in our 50s so I think this is the perfect setting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder how many people will be on this cruise ?

Obviously only a small proportion of cruisers post on Cruise Critic but there seems to be no roll call at all on here for the two 7 day B2B cruises we have on Wind Surf commencing 17th February.

I believe it had an itinerary change and many people cancelled - which is how we booked at fire sale price.

But surely some CC member other than us must be on the ship?

I started a Roll Call for our upcoming cruise and so far it’s us and one other couple who have come forward. [emoji23]

I started a Roll Call for our upcoming cruise and so far it’s us and one other couple who have come forward. [emoji23]

On a mega ship with 3000 people, if 1% of the passengers join the roll call here, that's 30 people. On the Windsurf with 300, 1% is one person. Its not a mystery why the roll calls here are small.

On a mega ship with 3000 people, if 1% of the passengers join the roll call here, that's 30 people. On the Windsurf with 300, 1% is one person. Its not a mystery why the roll calls here are small.

I totally understand and agree. I would be nice tho to be able to bounce ideas with someone else from the same cruise, ya know? LOL

One percent of 300 is three. Still not a big roll call.

I was on the Wind Surf in Jan. 2011. My only small ship experience and LOVED it. The food was excellent and staff even better. Can’t wait to get back on board with my family and friends this time! The beach BBQ was the highlight last trip. Can’t wait to enjoy it again. If anyone is on the March 24th sailing...let me know!

Enjoy everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Wind Surf in Jan. 2011. My only small ship experience and LOVED it. The food was excellent and staff even better. Can’t wait to get back on board with my family and friends this time! The beach BBQ was the highlight last trip. Can’t wait to enjoy it again. If anyone is on the March 24th sailing...let me know!

Enjoy everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this feedback! I’ve done many large cruise ventures (although none were on the megacruise ships), but never a small ship adventure. This will be our first one and I’m very excited. I have always wanted to sail the Wind Star or Wind Surf...it’s been a bucket list thing for me. Only 3-1/2 months away!

• 3 months later...

Hi there....just starting to think about packing for our WS cruise that's a week away Italy/Croatia, etc....I know I've read a few places that the dress is much more casual in the evening....how casual - ie for women? Thanks!

Hello,

I think you are on the same cruise as my husband and I. This is our 4th WS cruise. Breakfast and lunch are as casual as you like. Shorts, capris, tees etc. Dinner is a little dressier but definitely not formal. Nice slacks or capris are fine, some women do skirts or dresses. No shorts or tees. Men do not need jackets but dockers or slacks (no jeans) and a collard shirt are fine.

Hope that helps. Look forward to meeting everyone! ~ Teresa

I wore linen pants or Dockers with a nice Polo shirt most nights. My wife wore simple and comfortable dresses and we fit it fine - but that was round trip Barbados. We did dress up for NYE of course.

It was a fabulous cruise.

We are doing our first Seabourn cruise next month to AK. If you are interested, look for my random thoughts on that cruise in early July on the SB forum.

Hello,

I think you are on the same cruise as my husband and I. This is our 4th WS cruise. Breakfast and lunch are as casual as you like. Shorts, capris, tees etc. Dinner is a little dressier but definitely not formal. Nice slacks or capris are fine, some women do skirts or dresses. No shorts or tees. Men do not need jackets but dockers or slacks (no jeans) and a collard shirt are fine.

Hope that helps. Look forward to meeting everyone! ~ Teresa

Thank you...just wrapping up packing-we head out tomorrow. Hope to see you on board! Jackie